Retired 14. Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

**** me dead. Liam Jones chose not to get the vaccination - his reasons have not been disclosed and unlikely to be. Rather than dig his heels in, kick the can down the road etc, he has resigned. Both parties can now move on. Is it $hit timing? Yes, for both parties. The club is at fault for its thin backline stocks, not Jones.
good luck to him.His decision should not tarnish the great service he gave to the club. And let’s get some perspective - in resigning now he hasn’t committed a crime; not has he placed anyone’s health and safety at risk.
This Club has made far “dumber” decisions with graver consequences than Jones resigning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder which ones are myopic and self entitled? The consensus of the medical/scientific community or the view that they are wrong?
I am not getting into whats right or wrong mate, merely commenting on the big footy self appointed judge and jury mentality.

You know this how?

I am not going to share my source - but I trust them. I was given permission to post what I posted (otherwise I would not have done so).

I also trust this will all come out in the next few weeks to month.

It has been handled very well by all involved. The club has shown compassion. Liam has been very respectful of the club. There is no bad blood.

A number of posters here are going to look like morons for sinking the boot into Liam Jones.

He had a close relative have severe side effects as a result of the vaccine which is possibly linked to a rare condition that LJ has the same genetic markers for. His chances of a serious adverse reaction are much greater than the general person. I say "possibly linked" because there is no way to conclusively prove it. More testing needs to be done. It may turn out not to be linked to the vaccine - but at this stage it is an obvious cause.

The Club offered to pay him 50% of his wage to sit out next year in the belief the AFL will eventually allow non-vaccinated players to train and play by taking a daily test. LJ did not want to put the club or his team in that position and decided to pull the plug. He made this decision 6 weeks ago. The club has been trying to talk him around. They finally accepted two days ago after all the public hysteria that he would not change his mind and accepted his decision.

He has at all times done the right thing by the Club. If you had been through his personal experiences you may think the same way. The playing group is fully behind him.

Now before you pile on and call me an anti-vaxer, I have had both doses of Pfizer and will be lining up for my booster. There is simply (like many things in life) a grey area where some people fall into. On an issue of health - this is one.

Thank you for your service LJ. Anyone else wanting to get on their soap box - get stuffed.

He'd be granted medical exemption if that were the case. I don't buy it.

Especially after he was following anti-vax accounts on socials.

See ya Jonesy, been my favourite Blue for a few years now.(always go for the quiet type of defenders)
Have a feeling his decision might be deeper than just the vax. Indigenous players have a responsibility to their mob and family, beyond money or team. That most of us don't understand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

says so much about you than him.........

Without commenting on Jones specifically, fear is a massive driver of the anti-vaccine movement and anti vaxxers are often more scared than committed. Scared by the unknown, scared by a loss of control. I don’t really see that giving in to fear is particularly courageous either.

Fair call Arr0w but doesn't mean the beliefs are morally/ethically right or safe for themselves or others around them regardless.

No doubt, but I doubt his decision is about right or wrong, it's about his belief system

Expertise has more value than beliefs, as point I think you've tried to make for years about your football knowledge.

No actually it doesn't, just like the draft no one gets it right every time

He'd be granted medical exemption if that were the case. I don't buy it.

Especially after he was following anti-vax accounts on socials.
Any family history of adverse events following immunisation is not a valid reason for a Medical exemption.

I hadn't heard about the cultural beliefs. If it is, that's fine. He's entitled to those beliefs, but presumably that's something related to be indigenous. If so, it would be odd for him to be the only indigenous player in the league with those beliefs, but so far, he's the only one reported that has refused the vax.
Like you say, not going to change anything, but the odds would be against him being the only indigenous player refusing the vax for cultural reasons, if that's what it is.
We'll probably never know.

Thanks to Liam for pulling on the navy blue and giving his all each week. That's all we could have ever asked for. Has convictions and has stood by them (rightly or wrongly), which with pretty much any other decision in life is a universally admired quality.
Not going to touch on the Covid/vaccine side of things because it in no way diminishes what he has done for the Carlton Football Club.
It does leave us with a big hole though and a possible pivot of tactics required- but that's for discussion in the other threads.

Medical exemptions are extremely hard to come by. I know someone who got pericarditis from Pfizer and they’re not exempt from a booster
Yep, if he had a legitimate medical exemptions he'd be wearing a mask at all times (or a hazmat suit), staying home as much as possible and not following anti-vax pages on facebook and instagram.

All the karens and antivax warriors out there saying they have 'medical exemption' would not be carrying on like they have been if it were true.

I just don't buy that story, it is his choice, he's retired, he's let people down. He isn't a hero.

Liam I wish all the best. Thank you for your service to our club.

Have you read up on what constitutes an exemption???????. If you do not personally experience an adverse effect from the first dose then forget it.
Correct. Apparently there are only around a couple of hundred people in the country that qualify for a medical exemption.

Not answering the first.

Absolutely yes to the second. Otherwise I would not have done so.
What I find strange is why you would post it if Liam Jones (for a start) doesn't want the reasons made public.

Seems like a betrayal of confidence to me. Even if the source isn't LJ himself.

I'm staying doubtful at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back