Player Watch #15 Sam Wicks

Remove this Banner Ad

20200705_wicks_hero.jpg

Sam Wicks

Sam Wicks is a small forward with tidy skills below his knees and an outstanding awareness around goal. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product was rookie-listed in November 2018 and was a consistent stand-out for the Sydney Swans’ NEAFL side in 2019. He became Sydney's fifth debutant of season 2020 when he was named to face Collingwood in Round 10, before finishing the season with seven appearances to his name. Wicks heads into 2021 fighting names like Tom Papley, Ben Ronke, Lewis Taylor and Sam Gray for a spot in Sydney’s best 22.

Sam Wicks
DOB: 14 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2018 Other
RECRUITED FROM: Manly-Warringah (NSW)/Sydney (NEAFL)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Longmire said he’s “not going into that” when asked in the post match about the situation and that he picked the side that he thought would give the best opportunity to win. Seems an odd PR strategy that begs more questions. I suspect if we were a WA/SA/Vic club there’d be a lot more chat about in media - this is one of the advantageous things about being a NSW club.

I know why he answered the way he did but seems like now that it’s in the media, you’d want to give a slightly more definitive answer than that as much as to stop the chat about it rather than allow more questions to arise. Will be interesting to see if this persists in the media in the coming days requiring a more definitive club statement. Given Gather Round is a big media occasion I can see that happening too.

it doesn't sound like much of a story, beyond the fact wicks didn't play at all
the media got hold of it, then the swans lost a game they should've won and now it's a bigger deal than the likely reality of it
but certainly the vic footy media will gnaw away at it because of the result ... which i maintain was more about the disappointment than about any guide to the rest of the season

The “nothing to see here” narrative is nice in theory.

But the incident may have already cost us 1 match.

And we don’t know what the longer term fallout, if any, will be.

It’s really disappointing.
Definitely enough talent to win yesterday if they got going but have to agree , you look at the in50 tackles of 4 and his omitting could well of been difference.

Look at what has happened with Brisbane. Some of the details I know about and I understand the riff.

When you have 40 guys with completely different personality types and values working together year in, year out you're going to have these situations occur from time to time. This one just happened to become public knowledge.

You'd expect it would have an impact on the players directly involved and perhaps even a minor impact on the entire side, but I really don't think it explains the loss. That's just down to a fired up, rejuvinated opposition playing on their home deck and us not working as hard as they did.

I'm putting it in the 'not worth worrying about at this point' basket.

The handling of this by the club is absolutely surreal. From what I understand, they put out a statement that Wicks was accused of doing “something” wrong with another player’s girlfriend, but an investigation cleared him. Nevertheless, he’s not playing this week, not because he’s being punished but just because. Now stop asking us questions.

It’s hard to believe they’re allowed to get away with this nonsense. They actually threw Wicks under the bus while leaving out all detail, allowing conjecture to run rampant. Either explain what happened or say nothing at all. The half-arsed idiocy they came out with is actually the worst of both worlds.

Explains why Konstanty was getting mentioned during the week and listed in the emergencies. There must have been some serious thought of playing him.
Having Wicks out for a week might have been the best solution for him and the club but he does seem to have been named and shamed then exonerated without any context or background to this.

it doesn't sound like much of a story, beyond the fact wicks didn't play at all
the media got hold of it, then the swans lost a game they should've won and now it's a bigger deal than the likely reality of it
but certainly the vic footy media will gnaw away at it because of the result ... which i maintain was more about the disappointment than about any guide to the rest of the season
We played a team expected to miss finals. We have been in “scintillating” form.
Absolutely it should be used as a reason we dropped this game by the media.
That’s how it works.
Have we been given a gold pass or something?
Prior to the game I took the odds Richmond were paying based on the potential for niggle between players disrupting the usual preparation.
Only need to be 5% off.
One player of the 22 out plus anyone else that may be close to him makes it 5% per player that is off.
I’ll take those odds every day of the week.
Lucky we play pathetic West Coast this week that’s all I can say.

Definitely enough talent to win yesterday if they got going but have to agree , you look at the in50 tackles of 4 and his omitting could well of been difference.

Look at what has happened with Brisbane. Some of the details I know about and I understand the riff.
Our pressure rating in the third went as low as it’s been all year, 177.
Not going hard for each other perhaps.

It’s a tough situation for the club. I don’t think the post match conference is the right place to discuss it. And if Wicks did need/want the week off (as opposed to being told) then playing him wouldn’t have been a good option. It feels unfair that only Wicks has been named, but naming the other party wouldn’t achieve anything other than to satisfy people’s curiosity. It’s disappointing that it leaked from the club but when you consider there’s 40+ players, it’s not surprising that it did…someone tells a mate and so on and so on. I do wish the club had made it clearer that he wasn’t dropped (if that is the case) because that is clearly the story that people are running with.

Either explain what happened or say nothing at all.

Yep exactly. It's just making it worse. It's made people hyper curious about it now since they just gave us a small taste and speculation and rumour will run rampant until we get a clear answer.

I guess they live in Sydney so they won't be impacted by any of it.

I really can't stand how secretive our club is sometimes. Or the media departments lack of communication.

How did it even leak anyway? The Wickseyleaks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep exactly. It's just making it worse. It's made people hyper curious about it now since they just gave us a small taste and speculation and rumour will run rampant until we get a clear answer.

I guess they live in Sydney so they won't be impacted by any of it.

I really can't stand how secretive our club is sometimes. Or the media departments lack of communication.

How did it even leak anyway? The Wickseyleaks.

SEN and its quality, balanced, high impact reporting strikes again

This has absolutely no business being public WTF.

Nobody would hold it against him if he wanted out in 6 months time.
I've got no doubt that the only reason we came out and said something was because of the drugs story from earlier in the week. This week wasn't the time to be giving a player time away from the club to get his head right without explanation.

The handling of this by the club is absolutely surreal. From what I understand, they put out a statement that Wicks was accused of doing “something” wrong with another player’s girlfriend, but an investigation cleared him. Nevertheless, he’s not playing this week, not because he’s being punished but just because. Now stop asking us questions.

It’s hard to believe they’re allowed to get away with this nonsense. They actually threw Wicks under the bus while leaving out all detail, allowing conjecture to run rampant. Either explain what happened or say nothing at all. The half-arsed idiocy they came out with is actually the worst of both worlds.
This is where I'm at. I'm finding it pretty odd that some think the club's handled this well.

SEN and its quality, balanced, high impact reporting strikes again

The Melbourne Drug issues discussed in Fed Parliament could not have come at a worse time. That Sam was omitted and not playing 2s led to speculation about drugs here and in mediaville.

Suspect the Club was wrong footed about it all and then felt obliged to formally brief Edmond to kill off speculation about drugs. Thought SEN handled it well enough and there was nothing salacious or muck raking in their coverage.

Beyond Sams welfare and availability, there is really nothing to see here.

So true, it’s amazing that we won 3 games before a fight over a girl between two players destroyed the team.

If it wasn’t for Aprils fools day I’d think you were serious.

So true, it’s amazing that we won 3 games before a fight over a girl between two players destroyed the team.

If it wasn’t for Aprils fools day I’d think you were serious.
Be nice to no the other player hey?

Gulden seemed off

Logan had a black eye and is out of contract like gulden. Maybe they don’t wanna spot light the more valuable player.

Don’t bullshit and say women can’t destroy friendships , especially in a work place.

Last edited:
Theres been plenty of times where clubs omit a player due to (person reason) rather than (omitted)

Literally mitch duncan last week and no one said a thing

The club ****ed up using omitted

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the club had nothing to do with this getting out

I'm under the impression they didn't want it out
Sam Edmund went with the story first on SEN on Sat morning, then others started reporting on it. The club didn’t release any official statement (that I know of)…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back