Player Watch #15 Sam Wicks

Remove this Banner Ad

1719321473926.png

Sam Wicks

Sam Wicks is a small forward with tidy skills below his knees and an outstanding awareness around goal. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product was rookie-listed in November 2018 and was a consistent stand-out for the Sydney Swans’ NEAFL side in 2019. He became Sydney's fifth debutant of season 2020 when he was named to face Collingwood in Round 10, before finishing the season with seven appearances to his name. Wicks heads into 2021 fighting names like Tom Papley, Ben Ronke, Lewis Taylor and Sam Gray for a spot in Sydney’s best 22.

Sam Wicks
DOB: 14 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2018 Other
RECRUITED FROM: Manly-Warringah (NSW)/Sydney (NEAFL)

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schultz, like Elliott, is a smallish more traditional type forward rather than a Papley, Rankine, Cameron type. Wicks is more a disruptor who kicks the odd goal. I can't offhand think of an equivalent from another team. Like you, I'm loving his work.
I guess I was comparing to Schultz in his value to the team, not necessarily the same role per se. Collingwood chased Schultz so other teams see value, so I am sure that other teams see the value of Sam as well. I think if he was on the market we would see a line up of clubs enquiring.

I guess I was comparing to Schultz in his value to the team, not necessarily the same role per se. Collingwood chased Schultz so other teams see value, so I am sure that other teams see the value of Sam as well. I think if he was on the market we would see a line up of clubs enquiring.
They would be mad not to if he came on the market. Terrific value IMO.

He is cemented in our best 22 now IMO. His work off the ball and pressure are excellent, also very unselfish, good team player.

Keeps the ball forward too.
Not sure he’s quite cemented.

If Konstanty had improved, or if Parker was playing forward - I think the equation would be different.

But neither have happened, so Wicks looks secure …… for now.

If Konstanty had improved, or if Parker was playing forward - I think the equation would be different.

Big if re Konstanty

I think Wicks is pretty safe. Just my view , could be wrong.

Keeps his feet better than most

Parker can’t do what Wicks does though. Wicks can’t do exactly what Parker does either but the point is we are in keen need of what Wicks provides in his pace at the man, with the ball and in frenetic pressure. Our forward line would be a touch one paced without Wicks and with Parker in his place imo.

Big if re Konstanty

I think Wicks is pretty safe. Just my view , could be wrong.

Keeps his feet better than most
IMO team selections pre-Parker's suspension made it pretty clear.

Each of those players once perceived to be "on the fringes" at the start of the year - Wicks, Jordon, McInerney, Lloyd (he never was IMO), Hayward, Amartey, McLean etc. - have roles that Parker can't do. Adams is the only one in a role that Parker can do, and he's just had his two best games of the season back-to-back.

I feel like that is probably the story of the year for us and why the team is thriving. We are a versatile team but everyone's still got a little domain that is theirs and they're making their own. I don't think it's a coincidence that the players who don't quite have that claim to a particular role or responsibility within the team - Roberts of late, Campbell, even Fox at times - are struggling to cement themselves in the team.

I think the only way that Wicks is not cemented into the best 22 is the injury to Corey Warner. It has really meant that no one in the twos can really take Wicks place since he got injured in like round 5 or 6 or something. Wonder how that dynamic will work once Corey gets a couple of VFL games under his belt

I think the only way that Wicks is not cemented into the best 22 is the injury to Corey Warner. It has really meant that no one in the twos can really take Wicks place since he got injured in like round 5 or 6 or something. Wonder how that dynamic will work once Corey gets a couple of VFL games under his belt
Corey has shown very little. Does not even dominate in the 2s. His better games rein the wing.

Konstanty was poor on Saturday and was ill disciplined, not at Ladhams level but on the same scale

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Corey has shown very little. Does not even dominate in the 2s. His better games rein the wing.

Konstanty was poor on Saturday and was ill disciplined, not at Ladhams level but on the same scale
Sorry what???

Corey just had a 21 disposal 3 marks 4 tackles and a goal in his return from injury game. Last full game in the VFL before that he had 20 touches and 3 tackles. Has had multiple games of 20+ and a goal and could easily play the small forward role as he has actually played at the AFL level in that position in 2024.

Sorry what???

Corey just had a 21 disposal 3 marks 4 tackles and a goal in his return from injury game. Last full game in the VFL before that he had 20 touches and 3 tackles. Has had multiple games of 20+ and a goal and could easily play the small forward role as he has actually played at the AFL level in that position in 2024.

Kicks points.

Those numbers pale against others like cleary and Gus.

He benefits from name recognition.

Suggest you watch some games rather than recititing stats.
Played up forward as a small forward against Essendon in Round 2 even after Cunningham went down and Campbell went predominately down back opening up a wing spot that surely the sub would come on and play? He is the only guy other than Hanily that is challenging Wicks for the small forward role and if he can get some games in the vfl he could easily take that spot as he won't be getting into the side as a winger

All very valid points made as to why Wicks IS in the team.

My view: Wicks is a B-grader, but nobody in the VFL capable of filling that role (Konstanty, Magor or maybe even Vickery) has developed in the way the club might have hoped.

Whilst there’s no real pressure from below, he’s secure.

Last edited:

i'd have wicks over corey warner every time ... not dismissing the younger warner but wicks is now a genuine senior player

I feel like I’m watching a different player to some of you. He’s not just in the team because we don’t have a better option. He’s genuinely tough, smart and effective in the defensive forward role, while also getting more involved up the field than he ever has before. Looking from the outside he seems to have really matured from the fake tough guy who would give away free kicks and get himself suspended.

All very valid points made as to why Wicks IS in the team.

My view: Wicks is a B-grader, but nobody in the VFL capable of filling that role (Konstanty, Magor or maybe even Vickery) has developed in the way the club might have hoped.

Whilst there’s no real pressure from below, he’s secure.
I don't think it's a matter of pressure. He's now a bonified AFL level player with his skillset and competency. Doesn't matter what kind of form they are in, he's at a point where his spot is not at risk of being replaced by a fringe or rookie player. He's no longer that guy who gets replaced by form. Similar to Papley, hayward etc.

Corey Warner or any of these other no gamers are no where near Wicks not sure how anyone thinks otherwise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back