Player Watch #16 - Bailey Laurie - Pick 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm kinda inclined to agree I haven't seen much to warrant an extension. Club must see something though

That all said I was thinking we'd made * all progress with Chandler four years in so maybe i should be patient for another year, with Laurie three years in. That said he'd certainly want to be pushing for and justifying regular selection next year, otherwise he'll be out of the system at the conclusion of 2026 unless he hail mary saves it that late
I think apart from Bedford, we are clearly a club who would rather give one year too many to someone than one not enough. Can't think of anyone we let go who made it somewhere else off the top of my head.

Re-signed last year, so is contracted until end of 2026.

Apparently the club have accepted he's a long term project, I'm VERY unconvinced by him given his lack of mongrel.
It's not a lack of mongrel, it's a lack of anything. Sounds a bit harsh but honestly haven't seen much. Club obviously see something in him. As others have mentioned might be good to have around as cover. Hopefully a lot of posters myself included will be posting in the 'I was wrong' thread in the future.

It's not a lack of mongrel, it's a lack of anything. Sounds a bit harsh but honestly haven't seen much. Club obviously see something in him. As others have mentioned might be good to have around as cover. Hopefully a lot of posters myself included will be posting in the 'I was wrong' thread in the future.

I just reckon if a player, particularly a key forward, has a bit of mongrel then the development piece has more chance. Look at say Weid v JVR. Weid was arguably the higher rated junior/draft pick, but he never had that aggressive attitude and so his development was capped at a low level, whereas JVR is already miles ahead of him in a short time because his improvement keeps coming. I put that down to their different levels of mongrel.

I'm kinda inclined to agree I haven't seen much to warrant an extension. Club must see something though

That all said I was thinking we'd made * all progress with Chandler four years in so maybe i should be patient for another year, with Laurie three years in. That said he'd certainly want to be pushing for and justifying regular selection next year, otherwise he'll be out of the system at the conclusion of 2026 unless he hail mary saves it that late
As a VFL watcher, I definitely saw progress with Chandler, he became a more damaging player as time went on. Early days Laurie had some really good games where he was damaging by foot, nowadays he does nothing with it.

As a VFL watcher, I definitely saw progress with Chandler, he became a more damaging player as time went on. Early days Laurie had some really good games where he was damaging by foot, nowadays he does nothing with it.
I didn't watch any vfl but Chandler has the penetration and power with his left peg and he's a powerful little bugger. Laurie has none of that. I just don't see what he brings. He's like a shit version of ANB

I didn't watch any vfl but Chandler has the penetration and power with his left peg and he's a powerful little bugger. Laurie has none of that. I just don't see what he brings. He's like a s**t version of ANB
Laurie had moments like Chandler where he was a smart and quality user in space his first two years, now hes fitter and stronger he seems to get more inside possessions but when he gets it on the outside in space he just blasts the ball to contests constantly or turns it over. Moniz Wakefield should be ahead of him imo, hes made decent progress as the years have gone by much like Chandler did.

Laurie had moments like Chandler where he was a smart and quality user in space his first two years, now hes fitter and stronger he seems to get more inside possessions but when he gets it on the outside in space he just blasts the ball to contests constantly or turns it over. Moniz Wakefield should be ahead of him imo, hes made decent progress as the years have gone by much like Chandler did.
Fair enough. I just don't see anything at all with laurie

Supposedly up there with our fastest players alongside Windsor and best users alongside Salem, which I've seen zero of. Must look a gem during training.

Who was the first? Was it Petty?

To be fair, Watts, Weid or Lucas Cook never had a cry during the 3 qtr time huddle!
Well considering JT didn't draft Watts or Lucas cook I reckon you've got this big boy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First time he hasn’t seemed overawed in the big time last night.

Hopefully it’s a turning point for his confidence.

He’s a better forward than Sparrow, and last night although I thought he faded a bit as the game went on his midfield play was probably as effective as anything Sparrow has done this year.

Play him for the rest of the season and Sparrow can be the depth who flips back and forth from Casey.

First time he hasn’t seemed overawed in the big time last night.

Hopefully it’s a turning point for his confidence.

He’s a better forward than Sparrow, and last night although I thought he faded a bit as the game went on his midfield play was probably as effective as anything Sparrow has done this year.

Play him for the rest of the season and Sparrow can be the depth who flips back and forth from Casey.
I liked what I saw last night. He was he was quite good but agree he faded a bit. Yep play him rest of the year.

The only thing i want to see from Laurie at the backend of this year, is to yeah play footy and not be or feel exposed at AFL level

We all rag on him, but i like that he is being made to earn his spot unlike some others and that he generally responds well in the VFL. It does at least signal to me he's trying. The challenge for him is to break the cycle of gaining form in the 2's and then letting himself down in the 1's and then being dropped and repeating it.

He's got to mentally start to believe he belongs at AFL level, or he'll be forging a full time career at some state league

The only thing i want to see from Laurie at the backend of this year, is to yeah play footy and not be or feel exposed at AFL level

We all rag on him, but i like that he is being made to earn his spot unlike some others and that he generally responds well in the VFL. It does at least signal to me he's trying. The challenge for him is to break the cycle of gaining form in the 2's and then letting himself down in the 1's and then being dropped and repeating it.

He's got to mentally start to believe he belongs at AFL level, or he'll be forging a full time career at some state league
Think you're being a bit harsh on him, he's just not very good. He's a short kicking Average paced midge. Unless he gets himself as fit as AnB there's always gonna be someone better around the corner

Think you're being a bit harsh on him, he's just not very good. He's a short kicking Average paced midge. Unless he gets himself as fit as AnB there's always gonna be someone better around the corner

Agreed but I'm keen to at least give him the rest of the season in the AFL for further assessment. There were some signs of life last night at least.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agreed but I'm keen to at least give him the rest of the season in the AFL for further assessment. There were some signs of life last night at least.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I'm not fussed if he plays and I'll change my mind if I see something but I just don't see anything at all. If he keeps Sparrow out I'm all for him getting the rest of the year

I'm not fussed if he plays and I'll change my mind if I see something but I just don't see anything at all. If he keeps Sparrow out I'm all for him getting the rest of the year
Same boat really. At least with Laurie there's more of an unknown and maybe with a month of games he could show improvement. Sparrow appears to have hit his ceiling with us already

Is cleaner inside the contest than Sparrow is so I will take that.

More proactive in chasing disposals as well popping up for links in chains which was also better than Sparrow

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #16 - Bailey Laurie - Pick 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back