Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

FefVqZPB.jpg

Braeden Campbell
[Player Profile TBA]
Pick 5

He has the tools. But for whatever reason he just isn't able to piece it all together. He's got talent, that's clear to see.

I don't think putting him in the middle will be much help, the big dogs In there are going to get theirs first and it's not going to help his confidence.

I suggest playing him forward. Apply pressure , and get to positions where he can apply his foot skills. There is no greater confidence booster as kicking a couple of goals
Who does he replace forward ?

He has the tools. But for whatever reason he just isn't able to piece it all together. He's got talent, that's clear to see.

I don't think putting him in the middle will be much help, the big dogs In there are going to get theirs first and it's not going to help his confidence.

I suggest playing him forward. Apply pressure , and get to positions where he can apply his foot skills. There is no greater confidence booster as kicking a couple of goals
If Hayward left he was my direct replacement for him. Less overheard marking but more tackling pressure and good kicks inside 50

With respect it's a completely different issue as he's never been a forward
Just re-read Rookieme's draft profile on him. He played as a forward who rotated through the middle through the academy years and the skills listed to be improved were ball handling (a bit fumbly) and accumulation (didn't get enough of the ball). Unfortunately, I think he still has those characteristics and at the moment is someone who can run a burst at pace and who can generally kick well. The problem is that we have another one or two of them in the VFL as well, and I think what will set them apart is their personal drive and hunger for the ball.

I'm beginning to think that maybe Campbell's biggest problem is that he went 20-25 places too early in the draft - and that's not his fault.

I dont think we'd get much for him in terms of trade value. But given he's an academy product, and has some good tools I'd definitely persist with him. I think with him the confidence will come with age and experience. The fact that Gulden, Warner and blakey have gone a couple of levels above may be impacting his confidence. But I think if the club show faith in him he may develop into a really good player for us. Hopefully he develops into a consistent performer, similar to Cunningham's trajectory - I'd be happy with that result.

He needs to get a lot tougher. But he is a local boy, he is contracted. He is worth persisting with.
I've never spoken to him or can't say I've even seen a real interview with him, but he appears to me to be a timid kind of bloke, maybe the problem is between the ears.
Would be ridiculously crazy to get rid of him and I'd be stunned if that was ever to eventuate.

i have faith in campbell, i think he will eventually be a very good player ... i think he's smart, and tougher than many think ... i think he needs to find confidence, and it would be a real shame to think he has to find that at another club
he has a glorious left boot, there has to be a way he can become a genuinely good senior player

i have faith in campbell, i think he will eventually be a very good player ... i think he's smart, and tougher than many think ... i think he needs to find confidence, and it would be a real shame to think he has to find that at another club
he has a glorious left boot, there has to be a way he can become a genuinely good senior player
Averages 76.5% effective disposals this year, so I'll give him that. I just wish he would get the ball more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imo he's got good goal kicking ability, like it's natural to him. I'd like to see him play in our forward half a bit more, as he can be another goal kicking threat imo. Maybe he needs to find his voice a bit more to demand the ball?

A bit tricky for him since he's right on the bubble so he'd be conscious of also not overplaying his hand & focusing on his role.

I think he has massive potential & is a local player, so happy to give him more time to establish himself. He could be one of those players that builds up slowly until it all finally clicks a little later. A bit like Florent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back