Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Campbell is indicative of an issue we have in team selection.
The match committee clearly wants Campbell in the side but are having some difficulty in finding his most effective position.

Heat maps from yesterday's game (kicking to right of picture)
Campbell Roberts Fox
View attachment 2042769 View attachment 2042770 View attachment 2042772

In our run to the 2022 GF Fox replaced Cunningham and IMO that defensive role is the one he is best suited.
In yesterday's match we brought he and Roberts into the team and because we also had Campbell, Fox started off in a less effective fwd role and then later drifted back, although not as deep as I would like.
The overlap between Campbell & Roberts is clear and all 3 players were most active in a similar spot.
Campbell & Fox played 80% of game time , Roberts 46% (subbed out at 3Q time).

IMO Fox is the best defender of the 3 and should take the Cunningham role in deep defence, Campbell rotating wing and HF and I don't think we should play all 3 in the same team.
Campbell’s weapon is his left foot.

As such, to my eye, he is best served playing left wing, or maybe left half forward. In my view, playing in the back 6 doesn’t really let him utilise the cannon to best effect.

Campbell’s weapon is his left foot.

As such, to my eye, he is best served playing left wing, or maybe left half forward. In my view, playing in the back 6 doesn’t really let him utilise the cannon to best effect.
I agree. I'd like to see him given a chance up forward. He would require very close attention given he can launch them from anywhere around 50 but also hit up a team mate. From a pressure point of view, he should be great given he is fast and now has had plenty of time as a small defender.

We should be using him like that all day every day. No idea why it’s taken deep into his fourth season before he’s got a handball give just outside the 50.
I had the same thought myself, but then thought, there's only so many times that play can be executed before opposition coaches plan for it and ensure their players keep an eye on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back