Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell.jpg

Braeden Campbell
Braeden Campbell was drafted with the fifth overall pick of the 2020 AFL Draft and has enjoyed an exciting start to life as a Swan. Recruited from Pennant Hills Demons, Campbell is revered for his brilliant versatility and exceptional left-foot kick. He made his AFL debut in Round 1 of the 2021 season and was voted as the Round 2 NAB Rising Star nominee after recording 25 disposals and six marks against the Adelaide Crows. The 21-year-old has improved year on year missing just one match in 2023 and set several career-best performances in the process.
Pick 5

Last edited:
I think Campbell is indicative of an issue we have in team selection.
The match committee clearly wants Campbell in the side but are having some difficulty in finding his most effective position.

Heat maps from yesterday's game (kicking to right of picture)
Campbell Roberts Fox
View attachment 2042769 View attachment 2042770 View attachment 2042772

In our run to the 2022 GF Fox replaced Cunningham and IMO that defensive role is the one he is best suited.
In yesterday's match we brought he and Roberts into the team and because we also had Campbell, Fox started off in a less effective fwd role and then later drifted back, although not as deep as I would like.
The overlap between Campbell & Roberts is clear and all 3 players were most active in a similar spot.
Campbell & Fox played 80% of game time , Roberts 46% (subbed out at 3Q time).

IMO Fox is the best defender of the 3 and should take the Cunningham role in deep defence, Campbell rotating wing and HF and I don't think we should play all 3 in the same team.
Campbell’s weapon is his left foot.

As such, to my eye, he is best served playing left wing, or maybe left half forward. In my view, playing in the back 6 doesn’t really let him utilise the cannon to best effect.

As such, to my eye, he is best served playing left wing, or maybe left half forward. In my view, playing in the back 6 doesn’t really let him utilise the cannon to best effect.
I agree. I'd like to see him given a chance up forward. He would require very close attention given he can launch them from anywhere around 50 but also hit up a team mate. From a pressure point of view, he should be great given he is fast and now has had plenty of time as a small defender.

Not having him near to goal is a lost opportunity.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

We should be using him like that all day every day. No idea why it’s taken deep into his fourth season before he’s got a handball give just outside the 50.
I had the same thought myself, but then thought, there's only so many times that play can be executed before opposition coaches plan for it and ensure their players keep an eye on him.

If his tank is not up to it in his 4th season, will it ever be?
Can take 4-5 seasons to build up the fitness levels to run out games of AFL level Football.

That was from a GWS Academy coach a number of years ago

Probably got himself a nice car when he was 15 and couldn't drive it

No good being a good kick if you can't get the football ever .

Have defended him but think I am
wrong , he isn't much good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winger who provides run and is a threat with his kicking. Also shown a bit more intensity at the contest recently.

Mcinerney is injured. Gulden and Blakey have lost a bit of form. So I still feel Campbell is useful to have as a winger.

Why? he can't get the footy , teams
probably forget he is playing

In a strange situation, clearly we carried him when we were winning. Shows up here and there against Freo. Sort of hit his straps but now we have to keep him in the side because of injuries but not producing a standout game.

A good cherry on top when the team is rolling, when the team isn’t he just sort of exists. Sort of like Stephens back in 2022 with more kicking capability.

Winger who provides run and is a threat with his kicking. Also shown a bit more intensity at the contest recently.

Mcinerney is injured. Gulden and Blakey have lost a bit of form. So I still feel Campbell is useful to have as a winger.

He averages 13 possessions this year that completely awful for a winger. The fact that Roberts got dropped over him was farcical. You cannot have wingers having sub 20 possessions every week even 15 is a push for Campbell

Dylan Stephens like

Threat with his kicking averaging under 7 a game lol , he's a good kick that's it , about as much intensity as Amartey

Threat with his kicking averaging under 7 a game lol , he's a good kick that's it , about as much intensity as Amartey

Logan and Amartey got just as much of the ball as this so called winger and they are key talls!

I thought he had been ok recently. I had been paying more attention to him. Because he is often viewed as the player to make way when bigger names are returning.

I thought he was one of our mid tier performers in previous games. Yesterday seemed to be playing more forward and not involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back