Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell.jpg

Braeden Campbell
Braeden Campbell was drafted with the fifth overall pick of the 2020 AFL Draft and has enjoyed an exciting start to life as a Swan. Recruited from Pennant Hills Demons, Campbell is revered for his brilliant versatility and exceptional left-foot kick. He made his AFL debut in Round 1 of the 2021 season and was voted as the Round 2 NAB Rising Star nominee after recording 25 disposals and six marks against the Adelaide Crows. The 21-year-old has improved year on year missing just one match in 2023 and set several career-best performances in the process.
Pick 5

Last edited:
I would love to understand how the coaches measure / judge the attributes of players and what positions they could be good for - as it doesn’t appear they want to try Campbell in other positions or think they have already found the right one.

People on this board have discussed whether Campbell could play any of small forward, HFF (defensive), HFF (goal scoring), wing, inside mid, HBF (distributor role) and small defender - but he seems to be playing a bit role along the wing with limited distribution responsibilities (or output).

I suspect fitness / ability to find the ball may be the reason he has not had a go at inside mid.

I am confused though that we don’t give him more of a distributor role when he plays HBF. In his first few games we gave it to him at every opportunity and he did well, then it dropped off. Was it because he doesn’t run as hard as Gulden to get into space, or have we just stopped using him - maybe because while his kicking is good technically, it is not creative enough?

He would also seem suited to small defender or small forward, with his pace and tenacity. Is the issue that he doesn’t read the play well enough?

The position I would like to see him get a go is the old Heeney forward role. He is a long kick, which would make him great for bullets into FFs or for long bombs from 60. He would help open up the forward 50. Maybe fitness is still the issue here, or limited marking presence?

Or maybe he is just a quiet fella and being drowned out by louder voices and bigger personalities in the team?

Whatever the case, the coaches clearly either haven’t found the right role for him, or it still hasn’t clicked for him. My guess is that it is 60% the former and 40% the latter.

He would also seem suited to small defender or small forward, with his pace and tenacity. Is the issue that he doesn’t read the play well enough?

Hi biggest issue as a small forward and I'd still try it in the VFL first though is that every small forward needs to finish off both feet! Has Campbell ever even kicked one off his right? Huge problem as a one sided player both forward and back. If he'd ever making it, it will be as a winger/FWD biut the issue is, he's so low output its a huge problem. Personally, put him forward in the VFL, lets see whether he shows something,

I would love to understand how the coaches measure / judge the attributes of players and what positions they could be good for - as it doesn’t appear they want to try Campbell in other positions or think they have already found the right one.

People on this board have discussed whether Campbell could play any of small forward, HFF (defensive), HFF (goal scoring), wing, inside mid, HBF (distributor role) and small defender - but he seems to be playing a bit role along the wing with limited distribution responsibilities (or output).

I suspect fitness / ability to find the ball may be the reason he has not had a go at inside mid.

I am confused though that we don’t give him more of a distributor role when he plays HBF. In his first few games we gave it to him at every opportunity and he did well, then it dropped off. Was it because he doesn’t run as hard as Gulden to get into space, or have we just stopped using him - maybe because while his kicking is good technically, it is not creative enough?

The position I would like to see him get a go is the old Heeney forward role. He is a long kick, which would make him great for bullets into FFs or for long bombs from 60. He would help open up the forward 50. Maybe fitness is still the issue here, or limited marking presence?

Or maybe he is just a quiet fella and being drowned out by louder voices and bigger personalities in the team?

Whatever the case, the coaches clearly either haven’t found the right role for him, or it still hasn’t clicked for him. My guess is that it is 60% the former and 40% the latter.
He does bomb from 60 , never his up a lead

Hi biggest issue as a small forward and I'd still try it in the VFL first though is that every small forward needs to finish off both feet! Has Campbell ever even kicked one off his right? Huge problem as a one sided player both forward and back. If he'd ever making it, it will be as a winger/FWD biut the issue is, he's so low output its a huge problem. Personally, put him forward in the VFL, lets see whether he shows something,
Stop pinching my material lol

Not that I was in favour of Campbell being dropped, but... I can kinda see Horse & co's frustration.

The last few months of form was Campbell after returning from being dropped previously. Generally if you've dropped someone and made them find form in the VFL, they should come back in the AFL and show some noticeable improvement.

Having said this, I think he's naturally going to be up against it if he finds form in a position at one level but then never gets to play in it at another level.

Not that I was in favour of Campbell being dropped, but... I can kinda see Horse & co's frustration.

The last few months of form was Campbell after returning from being dropped previously. Generally if you've dropped someone and made them find form in the VFL, they should come back in the AFL and show some noticeable improvement.

Having said this, I think he's naturally going to be up against it if he finds form in a position at one level but then never gets to play in it at another level.
If Campbell out is our biggest problem then I will sleep nights.
Still have McInerney and Sheldrick and Rampe and Papley on the bench.

Cleary and Hamling say hello.

A player agent agreed with me that he went far too early and there were so many better players than him that could've been picked up . It was the issue that we didn't want another Dunkley type scenario
Player agents know about money, not talent.

Hawthorn bid on him at 5. I think the Hawks & Swans recruitment teams know a bit more than a player agent.

FFS, Jacinta is a player agent.

A player agent agreed with me that he went far too early and there were so many better players than him that could've been picked up . It was the issue that we didn't want another Dunkley type scenario

I am not sure what the alternative to drafting Campbell would have been.

We used pick 4 to draft Logan McDonald. Then we were left with picks in the 30s/40s to match bids for Campbell/Gulden. So if we don't match the Campbell bid. Our next picks get used to match Gulden. And then we might get to use a pick in the 40s to pick someone else instead of Campbell.

And there does not appear to be much talent available after round 1 of that draft. Probably Josh Treacy and Jack Ginnivan would have been the best still available. But we overlooked them in the rookie draft anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not sure what the alternative to drafting Campbell would have been.

We used pick 4 to draft Logan McDonald. Then we were left with picks in the 30s/40s to match bids for Campbell/Gulden. So if we don't match the Campbell bid. Our next picks get used to match Gulden. And then we might get to use a pick in the 40s to pick someone else instead of Campbell.

And there does not appear to be much talent available after round 1 of that draft. Probably Josh Treacy and Jack Ginnivan would have been the best still available. But we overlooked them in the rookie draft anyway.
Matching Hwathorn's bid was the right thing to do, but it just hasn't turned out.

Matching Hwathorn's bid was the right thing to do, but it just hasn't turned out.

Guess we got Gulden on the cheap and probably paid way overs for Campbell. Getting 1 elite player and Logan is a key ingredient going forward is pretty good.

Apart from JUH, Gulden and maybe Logan the 2020 draft wasn’t all that great in terms of superstar potential. Won’t blame the recruiters for matching Hawthorns bid. Weakest draft in the past decade really.

Last edited:
I think Campbell is being mismanaged. He's been asked to play as a small defender or when on the wing, defensive side. His skill set is speed and his kicking. He should be deployed at HF flank where he would be a constant threat from 40-60m out. With Paps out, who is our running threat from this distance? Campbell is also a good field kick and could hit up our deeper forwards.

I think Campbell is being mismanaged. He's been asked to play as a small defender or when on the wing, defensive side. His skill set is speed and his kicking. He should be deployed at HF flank where he would be a constant threat from 40-60m out. With Paps out, who is our running threat from this distance? Campbell is also a good field kick and could hit up our deeper forwards.
He bombs it to the forwards !

He bombs it to the forwards !
Only because he's kicking it from no closer to centre and most probably under instruction.

If he was in possession from forward of centre, the defence would have to be accountable to his long shots at goal, opening up space for him to hit up a leading forward. He has made this kick plenty in the past, both in juniors and in the early part of his career. I'm confident there's a good player in Campbell. Horse needs to give him a go and instill in him some confidence, rather then scape goating him when we play like crap.

Only because he's kicking it from no closer to centre and most probably under instruction.

If he was in possession from forward of centre, the defence would have to be accountable to his long shots at goal, opening up space for him to hit up a leading forward. He has made this kick plenty in the past, both in juniors and in the early part of his career. I'm confident there's a good player in Campbell. Horse needs to give him a go and instill in him some confidence, rather then scape goating him when we play like crap.

Half the time he bombs it as he has no awareness or any right foot!

I really don't think the bombing thing carries any weight anymore because it's been proven that literally every player on our list does it a lot.

Seriously even Gulden, McInerney etc don't look where they are kicking it half the time, so we should just put the subject of bombing it by foot under the bed or we will drive ourselves crazy.

I really don't think the bombing thing carries any weight anymore because it's been proven that literally every player on our list does it a lot.

Seriously even Gulden, McInerney etc don't look where they are kicking it half the time, so we should just put the subject of bombing it by foot under the bed or we will drive ourselves crazy.
Gulden spears it , doesn't bomb unless he's in range

I was pleased that Campbell had a decent game and kicked a goal. He seems to get a lot of criticism for not being good enough.

But I still think he has got talent. Apart from his kicking. He provides a bit of run and I feel his tackling at the contest has improved recently.
He's looked much more confident these past 2 weeks. Tonight was the most confidence I can recall him playing with since his first few games at the level back in 2021.

Will become very important for us very quickly if he continues to back himself.

He's looked much more confident these past 2 weeks. Tonight was the most confidence I can recall him playing with since his first few games at the level back in 2021.

Will become very important for us very quickly if he continues to back himself.
Given that we most likely won't get McInerney back him being in good form will be important indeed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back