Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell.jpg

Braeden Campbell
Braeden Campbell was drafted with the fifth overall pick of the 2020 AFL Draft and has enjoyed an exciting start to life as a Swan. Recruited from Pennant Hills Demons, Campbell is revered for his brilliant versatility and exceptional left-foot kick. He made his AFL debut in Round 1 of the 2021 season and was voted as the Round 2 NAB Rising Star nominee after recording 25 disposals and six marks against the Adelaide Crows. The 21-year-old has improved year on year missing just one match in 2023 and set several career-best performances in the process.
Pick 5

Last edited:
Start him at the first centre bounce and tell him to chase the footy.

Have nightmares about his Adelaide Oval hack defence kicks

I’d tell him to go to the VFL and say “Brayden you have 4 weeks I don’t care how you kick I want 30 plus disposals each week”

I’d tell him to go to the VFL and say “Brayden you have 4 weeks I don’t care how you kick I want 30 plus disposals each week”

He gets heaps in the VFL, playing in the middle

You guys are attacking the wrong member of our team.
He is the number 22 to 25 in line as a guaranteed starter.
The blokes you go after are the ones who took their time signing a contract in front of them & who have been drinking their own bath water for a number of weeks now.

Not the guys who may or may not be developing or who are on year to year contracts.

Campbell only having a left foot is the least of our worries.

Exactly this. If we are relying on 22-25th players to win games we are completely stuffed.

Our supposed top liners need to get their heads screwed back on

Exactly this. If we are relying on 22-25th players to win games we are completely stuffed.

Our supposed top liners need to get their heads screwed back on

Which would be fine if he was the sub or starting on the bench most weeks. I do agree though our big players have been as lazy as can be. Chad has been on holidays the last month, Heeney probably banged up but was heaps better last week. We have missed Rowbottom and JMac massively and replacing the latter with Campbell has been a huge problem.

Not attacking him , I think either play him midfield or don't bother

Take the latter as he’s never going to be a midfielder averaging 12-15 possessions a game.

It's pointless having just the one party trick if you never go to any parties. Ive been consistent in my posting that I want him to succeed but even from junior years everybody knew he couldn't find the ball. But he's a good kick. He has played over 50 games now and I can't remember him even being there for half of them. But he's a good kick. We know what we get with him and it isn't a lot, which is soooo disappointing. But he's a good kick. You need two things to be a good kick - a foot and a ball - and unfortunately he can only find one of these things.

Maybe he should drop back to the 2s for a few games and we take a look at Magor or someone. Doubt the output would be much worse.

I'm only writing this because I am coming from a place of real disappointment. Now I know how my wife feels.

It's pointless having just the one party trick if you never go to any parties. Ive been consistent in my posting that I want him to succeed but even from junior years everybody knew he couldn't find the ball. But he's a good kick. He has played over 50 games now and I can't remember him even being there for half of them. But he's a good kick. We know what we get with him and it isn't a lot, which is soooo disappointing. But he's a good kick. You need two things to be a good kick - a foot and a ball - and unfortunately he can only find one of these things.

Maybe he should drop back to the 2s for a few games and we take a look at Magor or someone. Doubt the output would be much worse.

I'm only writing this because I am coming from a place of real disappointment. Now I know how my wife feels.

I'd honestly bring Sheldrick in and shuffle the deck chairs so to speak, Lloyd on a wing and Gulden/Jordan on the other don't worry about tagging for a few weeks.

I believe he got his high draft position off a couple of good games and Clarkson calling his name at 5 because he liked guys who could kick. Not from a solid body of work. We matched, as we should have, but he went a lot higher than he ought. Many knew that at the time and now it's quite apparent. Such is life.

You know he’s a good kick right ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not attacking him , I think either play him midfield or don't bother
This.

Playing a guy in pretty much every position except the one where he has looked best and gotten the ball most... will likely only produce one outcome.

We could've been having the same conversations about Blakey if we never tried him in defence, McCartin if we never moved him from the forward line, Florent if we never tried him at half back.

Can't write him off til we give him every chance to succeed. I don't believe we've done that yet.

This.

Playing a guy in pretty much every position except the one where he has looked best and gotten the ball most... will likely only produce one outcome.

We could've been having the same conversations about Blakey if we never tried him in defence, McCartin if we never moved him from the forward line, Florent if we never tried him at half back.

Can't write him off til we give him every chance to succeed. I don't believe we've done that yet.
He's had enough chances

Jordan Foote probably got to more centre bounces than Campbell .

Point is Stephens had better games at AFL level and everyone wanted him out. I sure ain’t playing a bloke who gets it 10-14 times a game. He’s played HB and wing where players get it 30 plus. Roberts had 36
Last week

Point is Stephens had better games at AFL level and everyone wanted him out. I sure ain’t playing a bloke who gets it 10-14 times a game. He’s played HB and wing where players get it 30 plus. Roberts had 36
Last week

I'm just saying he is a midfielder or piss off to the VFL either or

But I don't want to watch him drift in defence hack kicking

Did Stephens ? , if he wasn't an academy boy there would be more dislike
No. Stephens never looked that good in the VFL though. When Campbell has played in the midfield in the VFL, he has looked like an actual player. Prime Tom Mitchell in the NEAFL-level? No. Sheldrick and Cleary level? Yes. In my opinion. And we all think they're midfield options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back