Past #16: Scott Thompson - to retire end of 2019 season - thanks Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

The Ziebell decision was a disgrace - Does that mean that Thompson should have gone for this non-incident?

Absolutely not, nobody wants to see Thompson suspended. People just want to see some consistency, it is not about being angry at Thompson but being angry because we knew the bullshit criteria they made up on the night wouldn't be applied to every/any other case.

In all honesty, we talked about how the Ziebell incident had gone against the spirit of football, so anyone who wanted Thompson suspended is going against that.

It's a shame Jack got screwed over, but I am very, very glad Thompson got off.
Yep.

Tribunal hit on Jack:

Reckless (didn't fully consider the implications of their actions).
High Contact (hit at the heart of footy).
High Impact (AFL/MRP/Tribunal integrity forced to sit out for rest of season; fans' feedback makes it a fait accompli).

I heard many commentators on different radio stations over the weekend discussing the Thompson incident and to a man, they all said 'If Ziebell got four weeks, then Thompson has to get weeks as well.' Whether you think he deserved to be suspended or not, it is the lack of consistency that is so annoying! One commentator said that the Ziebell decision was the greatest injustice ever. I still wish North had appealed that decision.

Happy with this decision. At the time of first seeing it (and the Fletcher one) I wanted them all gone, based on the JZ decision.

But Jack's decision was horribly wrong and a continuation of that is terrible for the game.

I'm staggered....absolutely staggered.

If ANYONE can explain how the MRP came up with these decisions I'd love to listen.

Thompson getting off for a hit to the head (not going the ball)
Glass only getting 1 week for a hit to the head (not going the ball)
Hunt getting off for a big hit to the head (going the ball)
JZ gets 4 weeks for a hit to the head (going the ball)

Seriously!!!

I'm staggered....absolutely staggered.

If ANYONE can explain how the MRP came up with these decisions I'd love to listen.

Thompson getting off for a hit to the head (not going the ball)
Glass only getting 1 week for a hit to the head (not going the ball)
Hunt getting off for a big hit to the head (going the ball)
JZ gets 4 weeks for a hit to the head (going the ball)

Seriously!!!

Thompson got off because if you have seen the vision he got pushed by Corey into Johnson and simply braced for impact, didnt leave his feet, didnt swing his arm. Unfortunate accident that sometimes happens in football.

Glass actually got 3 weeks, down to 1 with 5 years good behaviour (which Ziebell didnt have the luxury of) and an early plea.

And Ziebell's......well that was just a terrible terrible decision by the MRP, dont think anyone could rationalise that, but you have to remember he had carryover points and didnt plead early (rightfully so too).

How the hell did Glass only get a week for his deliberate hit on Brown yet ziebell gets 4 for contesting the ball and making arguably less contact??

****ing over this shit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

im not happy thompson got off, nothing to do with the jz incident, but even if he was pushed the round arm hit to the head on the video dosnt deserve getting off scott free

I heard many commentators on different radio stations over the weekend discussing the Thompson incident and to a man, they all said 'If Ziebell got four weeks, then Thompson has to get weeks as well.' Whether you think he deserved to be suspended or not, it is the lack of consistency that is so annoying! One commentator said that the Ziebell decision was the greatest injustice ever. I still wish North had appealed that decision.

We wouldn't have won an appeal,the AFL has orchestrated a system which punishes whomever they want to punish for whatever reason they want to and is tailor made for their whimsical system of picking a rule or an incident that becomes a flavour for them and disregards the rules to get the outcome they want.

Our only option for justice was to go through that farce so we could then take it to the court system and prove it was blatantly unfair, and in breach of their own rules. Our club just has no stones when it comes to fighting for our player's which is disappointing. If it is a matter of cost just pass the hat around.

Rolling over annoys me more than than copping the punishment.

The problem is the MRP itself not the tribunal nor the appeals process. The MRP is the cop that views the film largely without speaking to anyone and then decides whether to charge someone or not and then asks the clubs whether they want to go all in.

The tribunal merely determines the case on the evidence.

It is the MRP's capricious, inconsistent, politically based and biased decision making process which should be looked at.

Its just an excuse that validates the decision.

"Shit boys, we are in a bit of a quandary here. Thompson is a Brownlow favourite who has hit someone in the head without looking at the ball....ummmm.....errrr.....did Joel Corey just touch his back?......lets rewind and look at it in super-maxi-ginormous slow mo............yep, clear as day there. Any alternative?......ummmm.......lets go with a no on that. Good work guys. No case to answer."

How the hell did Glass only get a week for his deliberate hit on Brown yet ziebell gets 4 for contesting the ball and making arguably less contact??

******* over this shit.
because JZ has been a naughty boy and Glass has been a very good boy. I have no problem for rewarding players who play the game fair for five years and the get caught out in a contest doing something dumb. Glass is also sitting on 80 carrier over points so if he does the same thing early next year he will be off to the highlands of WA for a month.

More than happy for Thompson to be playing Ess and Freo the next 2 wks. Hopefully he gets 40+ poss's and kicks 3-4 goals in each game and the Crows smack them up.

What is laughable is the 'Corey pushed Thompson into Johnson' line in order for ST to get off. How can Fraser sit there explaining the 'decision' and have us believe that spin.

Wouldn't be a good look for the AFL if Thompson won the Brownlow by 7 votes etc only for Swan to get the prize again because of a controversial suspension would it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #16: Scott Thompson - to retire end of 2019 season - thanks Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back