Player Watch #16: Zac Fisher - 36d & 6 marks vs WCE - his best game for NMFC?

Remove this Banner Ad

At least his shot at goal went closer then Tucker's
Giving Tucker the ball when there were other options was completely stupid in the first place. Wrong position for a left footer. Stephenson was sitting on his own to his right. Gotta know your own players strengths and weaknesses. Was all pretty frantic, but we will get better at that I hope.

I think we underestimated how much the back line missed him. Even if it was for structure

Not sure why he didn't come straight back in
100%

Clarkson had seen what Freo and St Kilda did to Sydney, so went out with the same plan to play keepings off the Swans and decides not to play the one bloke who can kick the ball and has the ability to open up play.

Bring him back in ffs

I think we underestimated how much the back line missed him. Even if it was for structure

Not sure why he didn't come straight back in
IMO Fisher is a case of a player that the match committee is 100% comfortable with where he sits. They value him, they see a 3+ year key role for him and similar to Logue if it takes an extra week or two to get him right that's what they will do and use the opportunity to test out others.

I don't think they underestimated what he brings in an area of need, they are just thinking medium / long term pretty much always at the moment.

FWIW I think his out was part of the reason the Swans could clamp down on McKercher in particular.

Interesting too see what we do with him this week.

We need one of him or McKercher down back as there's no run without them. Both is too many as they're suspect defensively.

My personal preference would be Fisher to defence and McKercher to the wing. Do what Sydney have done with Gulden. Wing and slowly increase his CBAs over time.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Interesting too see what we do with him this week.

We need one of him or McKercher down back as there's no run without them. Both is too many as they're suspect defensively.

My personal preference would be Fisher to defence and McKercher to the wing. Do what Sydney have done with Gulden. Wing and slowly increase his CBAs over time.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Beauty of both of them is you can rotate them if one isn't flying one week. I too prefer Fisher in general as the first cab backman just due to a more mature body - although I trust McKercher more with ball in hand from the kick ins.

IMO Fisher is a case of a player that the match committee is 100% comfortable with where he sits. They value him, they see a 3+ year key role for him and similar to Logue if it takes an extra week or two to get him right that's what they will do and use the opportunity to test out others.

I don't think they underestimated what he brings in an area of need, they are just thinking medium / long term pretty much always at the moment.

FWIW I think his out was part of the reason the Swans could clamp down on McKercher in particular.
Agreed. Keep in mind that he's only 26. He's played 122 games. Plenty of experience in so many different match conditions and scenarios. He's a really good profile for who we need for the next 4-5 years in that position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Puss. That is all.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Looked like he gave up on the contest today.

The drop when Fogarty hardly touched him was a pure shit your pants for no reason moment.

We can’t have both him and McKercher in that side. It’s one or the other.

I would rather us be playing someone like Hardeman or Bergman as the other rebounders. Fisher and McKercher give up too much defensively and both are not 100% safe with ball in hand.

Really poor game today. If you can’t fire up against your old club, then you don’t deserve your spot. Don’t known what Brady/Clarko were thinking giving him a 4 year deal. Needs to lift massively.

Last edited:

The drop when Fogarty hardly touched him was a pure shit your pants for no reason moment.

I would rather us be playing someone like Hardeman or Bergman as the other rebounders. Fisher and McKercher give up too much defensively and both are not 100% safe with ball in hand.
The difference between his best and worst is probably the biggest at the club.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fair on McKercher. My dad has been as critical of him for his disposals as I am on jy.

But one thing I am confident on is I think that of all the half backs in our last 15 years. None of them seem to have the tenacity to want the ball in that dangerous space of the ground and take the game on. I said to my dad today ‘could you imagine Atley wanting that ball and running into a a wave of Carlton players l?

Drop Hansen and try him forward. He has the attributes to get more contests than most of our small forwards. Or move Colby to the wing. Can't have both in the back six.

Fair on McKercher. My dad has been as critical of him for his disposals as I am on jy.

But one thing I am confident on is I think that of all the half backs in our last 15 years. None of them seem to have the tenacity to want the ball in that dangerous space of the ground and take the game on. I said to my dad today ‘could you imagine Atley wanting that ball and running into a a wave of Carlton players l?
I think McKercher becomes a player, I just don’t like the balance of the two small defenders that are shithouse defensively and also prone to no pressure turnovers.

I think we need to get someone that is better defensively and also plays on the rebound.

It’s such a pity that Goater hurt himself, because he is the exact player that would replace one of the two.

I think McKercher becomes a player, I just don’t like the balance of the two small defenders that are shithouse defensively and also prone to no pressure turnovers.

I think we need to get someone that is better defensively and also plays on the rebound.

It’s such a pity that Goater hurt himself, because he is the exact player that would replace one of the two.
You’re spot on. It’s like only one of them can amass those 30 disposal games and both quickish light framed left footers.

Kercher tries to impact contests and fly back with ball to spoil but he is just too small/light compared to the guys back there. Maybe we need to consider it time for Mckercher to go into the midfield? Wing?

Drop Hansen and try him forward. He has the attributes to get more contests than most of our small forwards. Or move Colby to the wing. Can't have both in the back six.

I'd like to see this in the run home. Give him a few weeks as a small forward, move McKercher upfield and bring in Hardeman / Bergman as small / medium backs.

Longer-term I'd like to see the latter two as regulars, with Goater replacing Tucker / McDonald.

We suddenly have a lot of depth in the backline, no need to persist with those who are not natural defenders.

Player Watch #16: Zac Fisher - 36d & 6 marks vs WCE - his best game for NMFC?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back