WSYD 17,127 tickets sold to Sydney v North at ANZ

Remove this Banner Ad

onwards and upwards. incindentally, that cats match was my first time at anz. i travelled from my parents joint in manly (ferry/ train) and i thought access was fine. i was back in manly within an hour or so. i've got friends who live in the dandenong ranges/ far south eastern suburbs of melbourne who no longer go to the footy since waverley closed because it takes too long to get there. anz - or is it telstra stadium, i lose track - wasn't a bad place to watch footy either.

All that is true (except tassie bit, but I'll get to that later), but the main reasons for a poor crowd are zero media coverage, and promotion, and poor venue choice. They would have got 30K at the SCG, but the AFL signs these stupid ground contracts which disregard any match requirements.

As far as influencing a tassie decision. Irrelevant. Its a financial decision and tassie arent in the same ball park. Do they have a venue over 20K anyway ?

Sydney needs a 2nd team to boost crowds to swans games. Much bigger crowd if this was Swans v WS than Swans v small Vic club no one cares about.

The only thing that will save western Sydney team now is a relocation. (Bulldogs).

I want the AFL to expand, reckon Gold Coast is a good option, west sydney just too soon, not enough development.

Sydney fans arent big sports attenders like Melb. Look at the A League got 11K to the Sydney Fc game in a city with a huge junior and player base.

Tassie viable, not as attractive maybe but more viable than WSyd.

Redb

... FWIW, I'm a pretty keen swans fan, in sydney, and I watched it on TV.
Shame on you! ;)

Here's a relevant post from the equivalent thread to this on the main board -
Swans crowds in non Grand Final years have been very consistent. Since 1995-ish, they have been getting solid crowds. The only time they totally fell away was in the early 90's when they were totally shit.

To say, the fans only turn up when they are winning is not true, and an analysis of the crowds over the last 14 seasoons would verify this.

... think of the potential. A saturated TV audience in Tasmania equals a rating of 125,000. The Grand Final will rate about this, give or take (Tassy's catchment is 500,000)

An equivalent rating in Sydney would be 1,089,000 in the Oztam catchment of 4,357,000.

There is no potential for these figures in Tassy. The potential in Sydney is huge and we have seen it when the Swans have made Grand Finals:

998,000 in 1996
990,000 in 2005
775,000 in 2006

They also rated 430,000 in Sydney for the Preliminary final versus the Saints in 2005 at the MCG.

Tassy has no potential to match this. Most home and away games would rated about 50-70,000 for a Tassy team in Tasmania.

Sydney has all the potential in the world, if the game continues to grow (which it will.) It is MUST to put a second team there.

Tassy deserves one but they're simply not important enough.

It's a good thing the people on BigFooty don't run the AFL. Most of them have no idea what is good for the game, and can't see past the present, making stupid judgements for the next 50 years based on one small crowd.

Well at least we know that one of those 19,127 was a former Australian representative at Rugby League. How many times do they have to play the Keiren Jack card? Seriously.
He's the poster child for the propaganda machine. We've won over Sydney - see, look at the son of a Rugby League great. Funnily enough his brother was doing the hand signal from the NRL footy show.

Why the hell did they play this game at ANZ? Someone got an answer for me??

I was watching FOX today and round 26 NRL games getting only 5k - 8k or something like that. There was three of them by memory. Yeah I realise the weather and all that but come on. If that's what their number one game gets I don't understand all the carry on about expanding the code there. Queensland as well. Hasn't Brisbane got the lowest membership of the comp??

Quite suprising and dissapointing considering the 45,000 people that attended the Sydney v Geelong game only afew weeks ago.

The swans get pretty good crowds at the Stadium because they market the hell out of 3 game passes. It costs $40 for 3 game adult pass out at the Stadium for the cheap seats. It costs $80 for a 3 game family pass and $20 for juniors for the cheap seats.

I paid $60 and was in line with the goal posts at the end that the goal umpire stuffed up. I was 35 rows back so I was elevated and had a reasonable view and was under cover but I can't believe those poor bastards 20 to 30 rows in front of me paid the same amount, got wet and had a lot worse view.

The AFL needs to take more seriously the fact that for a final to have a big impact the advertising must be MUCH better. I've heard people from Sydney say they've heard virtually nothing of the game the whole week.

Yep nothing at all apart from a few ads on Ch 10.

I think 35,000 would be an excellent outcome, but a more realistic figure would be around the 30,000 mark give or take afew thousand.

I expected the hard core 25,000 to turn out. The weather was shitty today but it ended up being pretty good during the game.

As a previous poster said, hopefully the AFL learn from this.

Don't hold your breath!

pretty low crowd for a final at 20K. they got 24K to the freo game a couple of weeks ago.

Walls on Ch 10 said there are 4 reasons as advised to him by a good source:

1. poor economic climate in Sydney. (crowds down for all codes)
2. Wet weather last 2 days.
3. North Melb are a poor drawing team.
4. Sydney limped into finals and didnt look like lasting. They like winners up there in Sydney apparently. (Geelong look to have sewn up the flag.)

That;s all true and I would add that Sydney have climbed the mountain and despite winning today look old and tired. The Swans do not generate the excitement of an up and coming team like Hawthorn.

regardless 20K is very poor, 2nd Sydney team needs to be put off for at least another 5 years.

Perhaps a good wake up call for the AFL and likely boost to Tassies chances.

Redb

All valid reasons but I still think that there are more problems. In worse weather, 40,000 turned up to an Elimination final vs the WCE in 2004. The 21,000 difference is only a small part attributed to the Kangaroos.

All that is true (except tassie bit, but I'll get to that later), but the main reasons for a poor crowd are zero media coverage, and promotion, and poor venue choice. They would have got 30K at the SCG, but the AFL signs these stupid ground contracts which disregard any match requirements.

The promotion of this final was pathetic.

Re long term contracts, that's why I think you have been overly optimistic with your thoughts on the AFL and the 2nd Sydney side. The AFL continually do not learn.

Sydney needs a 2nd team to boost crowds to swans games. Much bigger crowd if this was Swans v WS than Swans v small Vic club no one cares about.

Not in the first 5 years maybe even first 10 years.

Few walk-ups because:
a) its been monsoonal for 2 days straight
b) No one lives within walking distance of the ground.

ANZ should only be reserved for BIG games with promotion.

Disagree with you pt a). It's been very ordinary, today Saturday, but the previous two days has been windy but not monsoonial rain. He's some weather info.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/nsw/sydney/sydney
Sydney Recent Days history » Thu
Sep 4 Fri Sep 5 Sat Sep 6
maximum 17.1°C 15.7°C 13°C
minimum 13.5°C 13.1°C 11.8°C
rainfall 0.4mm 1.6mm 62.2mm

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/nsw/sydney/homebush
Homebush Recent Days history » Thu
Sep 4 Fri Sep 5 Sat Sep 6
maximum 15.6°C 15.1°C 13°C
minimum 12.3°C 11.9°C 10.8°C
rainfall 1.0mm 1.4mm 54.2mm

Actually there are some people who are walking distance to the ground. A good mate who works at the Sydney Olympic Park precinct has a colleague who moved up from Melbourne last year and lives within the Sydney Olympic Park, and walks to the games. You'd be surprised how many people are living there now. There is a shit load of 5 to 8 story units being built. Newington residents are probaby a 20 minute walk. From the SOP Authority annual report.

The Sydney Olympic Park Master Plan 2025 entered its final stages of development. The Plan will support a residential population of around 16,500 and a daily population of up to 24,000 workers and students.

This will help a 2nd Sydney side if they play at the Stadium or a developed Showgrounds.

I still reckon there is some other underlying reason(s) why the crowd was so poor.

As I said above the 2004 elimination final v WCE that drew 40,282 at the stadium was played in a lot worse conditions than tonights game. The weather was crappy all day as well back then. That was the game where it was so bad that lighting started late in the 2nd quarter along with torrential rain and the Auskick kids played for about 8 minutes before the AFL officials woke up that it was just too dangerous with all the lighting and that if it struck some of the kids could have been killed.

As I wrote on the main board I think that people have woken up that 5v8 and 6v7 is almost meaningless. Since the current final 8 system started in 2000, only two (of the 32 sides that finished 5 to 8) sides that didn't finish top 4 have made it to the preliminary final and that's where their run has stopped. They have over priced these week 1 tickets.

How many Rd 22 games have more meaning, ie a win gets your side a top 4 finish and maybe a home final in the top 4 and that costs you $20, compared to an elimination final which costs you up to $75.

Just wondering how much the announcement of a new team has eaten into the Swans crowds this year. I have friends living in Western Sydney and they have stopped going to Sydney games in anticipation of getting their new home-grown team.

Just floating it as a possibility. The fierce rivalry between the Sydney Swans and the Western Sydney Wolves may have already begun. Just floating it as a possibility.

Just floating it as a possibility. The fierce rivalry between the Sydney Swans and the Western Sydney Wolves may have already begun. Just floating it as a possibility.

Top rivalry that will be. Fifteen Swans fans wandering around desperately trying to find an opposition fan to argue with.

It's been a bad weekend for attendances in Sydney this weekend....

These are the RL crowds and basically their supporters even scoff at those attendances indicating they were inflated (We are used to that now anyway thats not what this post is about)

6,086 @ CUA
7,057 @ Toyota
5,102 @ Parramatta

Well the RL trolls always rave on how fickle Sydneysiders attending games on cold wet days, may just have something here...

Over 19K is not good but what can you do? It beat 3 Sydney RL games...only consolation, and a poor one at that...as it's expected these days...

definitely would have had over 30k had it been played at home

Just wondering how much the announcement of a new team has eaten into the Swans crowds this year. I have friends living in Western Sydney and they have stopped going to Sydney games in anticipation of getting their new home-grown team.

Zero. You're saying people are waiting until 2012 to get a footy fix? Really? How many games a year do they normally go to? Well that accounts for 20, what about the other 20,000.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ironic thing about the match is that it was by far the highest rating Swans game of the year in Sydney.

Nationally the game had hundreds of thousands more viewers than Adelaide v Collingwood.

But isn't that true most saturday arvo v saturday night games? The TV audience is bigger at night as less people are working, playing sport, shopping etc during the daytime.

It's been a bad weekend for attendances in Sydney this weekend....

These are the RL crowds and basically their supporters even scoff at those attendances indicating they were inflated (We are used to that now anyway thats not what this post is about)

6,086 @ CUA
7,057 @ Toyota
5,102 @ Parramatta

Well the RL trolls always rave on how fickle Sydneysiders attending games on cold wet days, may just have something here...

Over 19K is not good but what can you do? It beat 3 Sydney RL games...only consolation, and a poor one at that...as it's expected these days...

definitely would have had over 30k had it been played at home

I wonder if cos789 is going to add my reply to excuse thread he has...

anyway here we go.

Cronulla play cowboys - Sharks fans nuff said
Dead rubber at Parra - Parra fans nuff said

Of course the weather had everything to do with it

round 26 as well...and only finals game for Sydney as well

186k watched on tv - they be happy with that :eek:

I wonder if cos789 is going to add my reply to excuse thread he has...

anyway here we go.

Cronulla play cowboys - Sharks fans nuff said
Dead rubber at Parra - Parra fans nuff said

Not only hat but Sharks were playing North Queensland who bring no fans and Para were playing NZ who bring no fans.

Imagine the Swans v an NZ side in the last round when they know even if the win they won't make the fnals LOL

Not only hat but Sharks were playing North Queensland who bring no fans and Para were playing NZ who bring no fans.

Imagine the Swans v an NZ side in the last round when they know even if the win they won't make the fnals LOL

No New Zealanders in Sydney - you must be joking. The place was full of them last time I looked.

Plenty of Qlders in Sydney too.

Why the hell did they play this game at ANZ? Someone got an answer for me??

A contract.

I don't believe the crowd would have been any better at the SCG. Let's face it, crowds at the SCG this season have not been great. Those Swans fans who did not attend because the game was at ANZ are not real supporters if you ask me. Shame on them, they missed a fantastic finals game last night.

No New Zealanders in Sydney - you must be joking. The place was full of them last time I looked.

Plenty of Qlders in Sydney too.

Did you even read what I posted :confused:

Are you also telling me every Queenslander who lives in Sydney goes for the Cowboys and attends their games?

Does every New Zealander in Sydney follow Rugby League and the Warriors and also attend their games?

What exactly are you trying to say :confused:

Did you even read what I posted :confused:

Are you also telling me every Queenslander who lives in Sydney goes for the Cowboys and attends their games?

Does every New Zealander in Sydney follow Rugby League and the Warriors and also attend their games?

What exactly are you trying to say :confused:

Not only did I read your post I quoted it, you said NZ & NQ bring no fans.

Well there's a lot more Kiwis and Qlders in Sydney than NM supporters but apparantly they don't follow NRL:confused:

Not only did I read your post I quoted it, you said NZ & NQ bring no fans.

Well there's a lot more Kiwis and Qlders in Sydney than NM supporters but apparantly they don't follow NRL:confused:

They don't follow those teams. Every time those two teams play in Sydney the crowds are lower because they have few Sydney fans. Fact.

Friend of mine told me that there were more Warriors fans at Parra last night than Parra fans.

There were. I am an Eels season ticket and went to the game. There were at least 500 Warriors fans but they made plenty of noise. The reason for it is simple - our team has not been turning up all year and have a poor attitude. Fans are sick of it - at least teams like the Demons and Eagles have a go in every game (the Eels are just lazy)

Remove this Banner Ad

WSYD 17,127 tickets sold to Sydney v North at ANZ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back