Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Traded to GC, picks 6&23.

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't be more excited, big thumbs up!!

Also, do we have another Rioli as a possible father/son or something in the next couple of years?

Yes, more than a couple of years away though

He's middle of the road, and as a result we are a middle of the road team.
I actually think he has improved over the years. He was still a full time teacher when he took over the reigns 10 years ago with no body there to help him. No wonder we were a basket case then. Just when he was getting his act together he was forced to take picks in compromised drafts.
His only big blue of late IMHO was the Conca over Heppell pick. Yes it was a doozy of an error but we weren't the only team that made that mistake. Fyfe was nowhere near the beast he is now so I won't use the restrospectroscope to berate him about that pick.

Now that we are better resourced our hit rate should and will be better.

His name is Rioli. Obviously going to be a premiership player.

Maurice? Yes, add a nice little Norm Smith to that.
Dean? No, injury mean he missed 2000.
Cyril? Four premierships and a Norm Smith is not bad for a 26 year old.
Daniel?.....
Maurice didn't win a premiership. He wasn't on our list in 1980

His only big blue of late IMHO was the Conca over Heppell pick. Yes it was a doozy of an error but we weren't the only team that made that mistake.
It wasn't a big blue and that is because heppell would've asked for a trade to essendon after 2 years anyway.

I take some confidence that Hawthorn were into Rioli. Their recruiter I rate unlike F.Jackson.

Lolz, were you one of the blokes going apeshit over us getting Yarren? Because Hawks have been into him for years as well.

Not happy at all. Clearly have gone away from best available. I have been happy with all our first picks in recent years, but this one's shit
This post is shit.
What a ridiculous thing to say.
He may end up no good, he may end up the best player out of the draft.

It wasn't a big blue and that is because heppell would've asked for a trade to essendon after 2 years anyway.
Exactly. He got to Essendon via some dodgy rumours that were started, it was engineered for him to get there the jerk off.

Shane Edwards potential? I'd be hoping for more than that from a pick 15.
I don't get this?
If you redrafted from Edwards 2006 draft he be inside the top 15.
Draft pick numbers are just that... Numbers. It does my head in.
Case in point that 2006 draft itself has many players outside top 10 better than most of the top 10, bar a handful.
The top 4 would be lucky to be on the top 10 now.
There are players like Edwards,Robbie Gray,Tippett,Houli,Goldstein,Mackenzie,Schofield,westhoff,Lindsay Thomas,Grigg,Garland, and some pretty handy F/S selections who are miles ahead of many of the top 20.

Yet I bet if we went back and looked at the thread that year there would be complaints the day after the draft (I know you're not complaining), that were so ridiculous because the facts are none of us have a ****ing clue what's going to happen.
Just an aside also,our "absolutely clueless "recruiting staff who we read about so often pulled Jack Riewoldt at 13 and Shane Edwards at 26.
Losers.
Imagine the post mortem the day after the draft?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So excited to have Daniel at our club. Let us check the risk reward:
1. Already transitioned to living away from home and living in Victoria having been in Ballarat for boarding school
2. Close to his Uncle Cyril so he understands the requirements of AFL and automatically has family around him in Melbourne
3. His interview shows him to be well spoken and enthusiastic
4. Has undoubted talent
5. Has genuine X factor and fills a desperate need

Con
1. Can he realise his talent and get bigger
2. Does not have the body of work of other draftees and goes missing in games

Some say he is a stretch at 15. No doubt there were talented kids we could of taken who have a larger body of work but the club is in a position where we can now take these measured risks. None have the same X-factor which we desperately need and I think it is clear the upside far outways the downside.

Our job as supporters is to not put too much pressure on the kid. He already has enough with his surname and being the first pick for the biggest team in the AFL.

This post is shit.
What a ridiculous thing to say.
He may end up no good, he may end up the best player out of the draft.
I'm not allowed an opinion? I don't have the blind faith that this is the right pick. If you don't agree with me then that's fine, but I am still entitled to think what I want.
Half the people excited about him being on our list are purely because of his last name... now that's what is ridiculous

ppl whinge when we go "vanilla" & now we go "x-factor" ppl still whinge....... can't win
I never complained about going vanilla with our picks in previous years and given how many 1st round X-Factor picks are complete busts I wasn't pushing for X-Factor this year either. I was happy to take a risk with our pick, just not on a player who'd done so little at U18 level.
Pretty easy for a player to have a massive upside when they are starting from such a low base

I'm not allowed an opinion? I don't have the blind faith that this is the right pick. If you don't agree with me then that's fine, but I am still entitled to think what I want.
Half the people excited about him being on our list are purely because of his last name... now that's what is ridiculous

I never complained about going vanilla with our picks in previous years and given how many 1st round X-Factor picks are complete busts I wasn't pushing for X-Factor this year either. I was happy to take a risk with our pick, just not on a player who'd done so little at U18 level.
Pretty easy for a player to have a massive upside when they are starting from such a low base
Of course you are entitled to an opinion.
I was just a bit surprised at the way you went about it.
Not your usual style, and just a bit harsh i thought to be so black and white about it.

o_O:eek:

4BA31E50-91F1-4F96-87D6-A70BD277824B_1.jpg

Everyone to their own we all see players and their potential differently. I thought Reiwoldt would amount to nothing when we picked him too slow and small for a KPF.
I have my rose coloured glasses on with this kid I can see him Dusty, Jack and co creating havoc in our forwardline in years to come.
Other thing people have to remember is the elite mids were gone by our pick - 15 in a below average draft.

Just heard the sen interview. Happy with the pick up. Feel like we have a good core group and is about time we pick up a few players with some x factor. Yaz/rioli.
But can you imagine if dusty and rioli come first and second in the jack dyer one day. It could be the worst 2 speeches of all time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Yes, I admit I'm one of those. However, I saw Maurice play and of course we've all seen Dean and Cyril play. Daniel would have a fair bit of footy talent in his DNA, coming from that family, plus the family traditions.
Being a Tiwi Islander is pretty good, too, what with the skills those guys possess. Those factors give me a lot of confidence.
Would like to see him stack on a bit of muscle, as there will be cynical types (NMFC) who will target him but our staff would be well aware of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Traded to GC, picks 6&23.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back