Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Traded to GC, picks 6&23.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think so. I think Gold Coast would have looked elsewhere- Maybe they don't go 'down' the draft order, as they'd rather Oliver/Parish.

Milera SA boy- Their recruiters would have made it out of the convention centre if they didn't pick him. Crows probably would have punted on Burton or took someone like Balic instead.

A few clubs I know 100% didn't have Rioli in their top 30.
Essendon also didnt rate the GWS academy kids high because they didnt put time into them.
Clubs thoughts on players will obviously vary from club to club.

having seen his clip on RFC the traits we require are there, is it that you don't rate him at all or just not at #12? even tho he wouldn't have been there @ 52...

I rated him as the 35th best player in the draft. Yes we needed speed- But IMO we reached at 12.

No point complaining, I'll back FJ and team in and let's hope he develops into a fine player :thumbsu:

X factor, what is X factor, i hear this word thrown around all the time and usually its just atributed to inconsistent players who have flashes of brilliance here and there, I think X factor is more about making something out of nothing regularly and if thats the case Deledio, Martin, Ellis, Lennon, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Edwards and plenty more have X factor they just do it regularly enough that main stream media doesnt label it as being X Factor, i reckon its a hugely over rated termanology, i hope Rioli develops to be more than a mid and im excited by his highlights i hope he becomes a consistantly good player give me that any day over being mr X factor in the medias eyes
I look at x factor as players like cyril rioli, a player who only needs to get it 10-15 times but every one of those touches hurt the opposition.

I think we are primed for a 3xRioli flag in a few years!
In 3yrs Maurice Jnr will be eligible and Cyril will be keen to finish off his career with the family, he will be around 29 by then so will be unrestricted FA, just walks across to us and takes home a couple flags with Daniel and Maurice Jnr. :p
Is there actully a maurice junior

I think we are primed for a 3xRioli flag in a few years!
In 3yrs Maurice Jnr will be eligible and Cyril will be keen to finish off his career with the family, he will be around 29 by then so will be unrestricted FA, just walks across to us and takes home a couple flags with Daniel and Maurice Jnr. :p
Crossed my mind too.:)

Is he highly rated and does he even play football?
hes only 15

there was a poster on here who had alot to do with him, forgot posters name.

Would be good if came forward to tell us some more and update us

I am supremely confident that Daniel Rioli will become a star for us.

However, even if he doesn't end up working out, I like the move by the club to try and fill the need we have.

We've always lacked the Walters/Cyril type of player in our teams, and now we finally have one of these types of players.

The rest of our squad has been built nicely, Daniel Rioli is the icing on the cake for mine.

But again, even if he doesn't work out, it'd be the first time we've blown a 1st rounder in about 10 years, and it'd have been done with the right intentions in mind; that is, to make us a better and more dangerous team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just wanna make sure we let Daniel be his kind of player and excel in his own fashion. Cyril is a once in a longish-time small forward and footballer in general so lets not compare.
Really think Daniel will be super in the AFL. Has the traits, the work ethic, and that look in his eye too. He will be a player the opposition really has to worry about, thus Jack Lennon Deledio and the resting mid will have a good time up there!

You know that underwhelming footage of him on Youtube from before the draft, that was from his step up to U18 level for NT, so still only in Div 2.
Sure some of his TAC cup highlights looked better, but if he can't even put in a decent performance at Div 2 U18 level then I'm not encouraged by the step up to AFL level. Kids who have dominated in Div 2 championships have often been overlooked, or like Tambling, been a complete bust.

This kid was training at Punt Road, if he returns from injuries and does a Stringer then we'll look pretty f#ckin stupid. Dowler's injuries in his car crash pre-draft had nothing to do with him failing, he was just a soft one dimensional dud, kinda like Cleve Hughes was for us.

So you haven't watched any full games then ?

I just wanna make sure we let Daniel be his kind of player and excel in his own fashion.
Andy Maher asked him on SEN this morning who he would compare himself to out of the other Riolis. Without sounding smug or anything, he just stated that he played his own style.

And the doozy.

Not sure if I put this here? In the spirit of Spartacus.... I'm doozy!!
The last time I pinched myself, I think I felt real?o_O:eek:

Averaged 5 tackles a game in the TAC combined with his other elite traits and footy magic and he could play much sooner than expected.

I was worried he didnt have a strong defensive game like most U18's but those tackle numbers are very impressive from a small forward.

I am supremely confident that Daniel Rioli will become a star for us.

However, even if he doesn't end up working out, I like the move by the club to try and fill the need we have.

We've always lacked the Walters/Cyril type of player in our teams, and now we finally have one of these types of players.

The rest of our squad has been built nicely, Daniel Rioli is the icing on the cake for mine.

But again, even if he doesn't work out, it'd be the first time we've blown a 1st rounder in about 10 years, and it'd have been done with the right intentions in mind; that is, to make us a better and more dangerous team.

Exactly. We've taken best available pick in the first round for the last 5-6 years. If there ever was a year to take a speculative needs based pick, it was this year (and next).

Why the **** to nuffies have to shoot this pick to bits without any real knowledge of the draft? You tube highlights don't make you a draft expert. Sorry to break it to you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Traded to GC, picks 6&23.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back