Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Traded to GC, picks 6&23.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ball gets kick in the extra defender sits in the middle two defenders separate and its an easy mark or ball goes to ground with the extra player easy clearance.

Pickett for melbourne is everything we wanted from rioli.

Trade him please
Small reset by Dimma and co imo - small forwards get to more ground contests.And if they don’t win it then defensive pressure stopping that easy clearance you refer to.

I would've written him off for good had he missed that game-winner..:D

Btw, what was JR thinking? Thought he took a legit mark and was losing my mind when he handballed...

So looks like the haters are gone ....................

Cool

I'll bite

His first 3/4's were pretty inept. He turned it on when it mattered in the last and all credit to him - but for 3 quarters he was probably in out bottom 4 players & I'm also surprised that he has been in the league for 6 years and still cant make the distance from 40-45 out

There might be no comments here about it - but if you follow through the gameday post, no shortage of people noticed him missing for 3 quarters

4 kicks, 1 Mark, 3 tackles & a 1 goal is hardly proving the haters wrong. And to call the people in this post "haters" is a bit rich - we are all fans of his that think he is capable of so much more. We all agree he has a lot of talent, but he is inconsistent & goes missing for large periods of games. After 100 games he is still a pressure forward who has failed to average better than a goal a game in any given season. After 2017 I thought he would be a top 50 player within 3 years. as it stands he would questionably in the top 200.

But yes, great effort in the last & was a text book example of how you can have a bad week, ashit game, but still impact the result by making sure you run out the game and never feel sorry for yourself - showed some good character to do that and reasons to be hopeful he can still grow to be more than just a 1 niche roll player. I certainly used the example to my son

Last edited:
I'll bite

His first 3/4's were pretty inept. He turned it on when it mattered in the last and all credit to him - but for 3 quarters he was probably in out bottom 4 players & I'm also surprised that he has been in the league for 6 years and still cant make the distance from 40-45 out

There might be no comments here about it - but if you follow through the gameday post, no shortage of people noticed him missing for 3 quarters

4 kicks, 1 Mark, 3 tackles & a 1 goal is hardly proving the haters wrong. We all agree he has a lot of talent, but he is inconsistent & goes missing for large periods of games. After 100 games he is still a pressure forward who has failed to average better than a goal a game in any given season. After 2017 I thought he would be a top 50 player within 3 years. as it stands he would questionably in the top 200.

But yes, great effort in the last & was a text book example of how you can have a bad week, ashit game, but still impact the result by making sure you run out the game and never feel sorry for yourself - showed some good character to do that and reasons to be hopeful he can still grow to be more than just a 1 niche roll player. I certainly used the example to my son
were you at the game ?

You mention : when you follow the game day post
I noticed multiple times in the first 3 quarters Rioli make multiple chases without actually tackling but putting enough pressure on the opposition to create a turn over.

Did these get mentioned in the game day post ?
What a great chase but he didnt get a tackle but player turned the ball over due to the pressure ?

Yeah thought not

He's average, scoring the winner doesnt change that, he's lucky he's quick
LOl You dont get to play in a Dynasty team if you are average

Butler was quicker than Rioli and others even faster than them both

Haters will be haters but im happy to bet anybody that Daniel becomes a 200 game afl player
Average players dont play 200 games in Dynasty teams

were you at the game ?

You mention : when you follow the game day post
I noticed multiple times in the first 3 quarters Rioli make multiple chases without actually tackling but putting enough pressure on the opposition to create a turn over.

Did these get mentioned in the game day post ?
What a great chase but he didnt get a tackle but player turned the ball over due to the pressure ?

Yeah thought not

No i wasn't at the game, I live in Brisbane - its a bit far for me. I get the value in it, I am constantly one of Georgies biggest fans here while others call for his head, for that exact same reason. I think Georgie though is more likely to offer more overall, which i think this week he did again

I get he works hard defensively, but ultimately as a forward he needs to do more than he does. We are one of the highest I50 teams in the league with 2 of the most qualified key forwards that bring the ball down nearly every time. He has more than enough chances to do damage going both ways for us. For 80% of the game, the Giants were able to play how they wanted, By his own admission he even said he did not do much offensively until that final goal. A pressure forward needs to still be a forward & for 3 quarters he only played 1 side of the coin IMO.

If he hadn't kicked the winning goal , no one would be crowing about his performance - i guarantee you that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOl You dont get to play in a Dynasty team if you are average

Butler was quicker than Rioli and others even faster than them both

Haters will be haters but im happy to bet anybody that Daniel becomes a 200 game afl player
Average players dont play 200 games in Dynasty teams

I disagree there.

Ever watched the GSW or the 90's Chicago Bulls? Those Dynasty's were 80% average players with a 3-4 elite players.

Without Dusty, we have no dynasty.

Without Rioli, we would still find someone else to have one IMO. Being part of a dynasty does not automatically make you better than "average". Tim Notting played in a dynasty too

So looks like the haters are gone ....................

Cool
Come on, why do you do this? Why spoil a great moment for him that we can celebrate even if everyone knows he didn't do much outside that quarter and will probably still underperformed in weeks to come.

Everyone wants to celebrate the win and enjoyed that moment, you don't need to follow it up to entice a dose of reality. He hasn't turned some corner where he's suddenly a frequent matchwinner and proven everyone wrong. The ball literally bounced to avoid an opponent and he did well to be in the right spot and right time and execute a flash of brilliance.

Come on, why do you do this? Why spoil a great moment for him that we can celebrate even if everyone knows he didn't do much outside that quarter and will probably still underperformed in weeks to come.

Everyone wants to celebrate the win and enjoyed that moment, you don't need to follow it up to entice a dose of reality. He hasn't turned some corner where he's suddenly a frequent matchwinner and proven everyone wrong. The ball literally bounced to avoid an opponent and he did well to be in the right spot and right time and execute a flash of brilliance.
That’s all he did is it? Just grabbed a lucky bounce and kicked a goal.
He did a hell of a lot more than that. Watch him for a whole game, and see what he actually does. He’s a critical part of our pressure game and ground set up. He’s not defined by goals, possessions and Supercoach points

That’s all he did is it? Just grabbed a lucky bounce and kicked a goal.
He did a hell of a lot more than that. Watch him for a whole game, and see what he actually does. He’s a critical part of our pressure game and ground set up. He’s not defined by goals, possessions and Supercoach points
And we've circled back to square one of the Rioli argument. I'm aware he chases and pressures. Everyone is.

It'd be great for us if he did more than that and showed his other skills more often.

Last edited:
And we've circled back to square one of the Rioli argument. I'm aware he chases and pressures. Everyone is.

It'd be great for us if he did more than that and showed his other skills more often.

i would love to see highlight reel games from Dan, but i would think he preforms a role in a system based team

How sick was his don’t argue
Almost spilt my beer when he did that

What a mad dog
You could tell he was riding that wave of confidence and was just backing himself in

When he’s happy and got a little bit of swagger is when he plays his best footy he has started to show more consistent signs of that over the last 3 or so weeks with each game having some sublime passages of play
I feel like it’s all going to click soon for him

But he chased a couple of times without laying a tackle. :rolleyes:
News flash .. ALL AFL players are required to chase.

For a bloke who didn’t do anything it’s pretty crazy that he was in every single one of these plays except the very last one doing the team things

Note how far he is off the contest on the first one before the closes the space and makes the tackle

A7CEC11E-4B93-46C5-B9F1-7FEAE5454168.png

The 'Haters' Woul

d have bombarded this thread if Dan had a bad or even an average game to stick the knives in at every opportunity but fail to at least acknowledge that after an extremely testing week to come out and play a good game.

I would've written him off for good had he missed that game-winner..:D

Btw, what was JR thinking? Thought he took a legit mark and was losing my mind when he handballed...
3min to go, need a goal, a stoppage wasn’t going to work for us so he got it to a dangerous position. If there’s a GWS player there and they’re clean they go coast to coast and finish it, but if there’s Richmond players there and/or a GWS player fumbles, it’s a goal for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Traded to GC, picks 6&23.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back