Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Traded to GC, picks 6&23.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm looking forward to seeing this guy kick his first goal. I hope it's at the G, big crowd.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only one Grand Final? I was hoping we were better for more than one!

A goal in our 7th straight flag to leapfrog the Bombers and Blues to take outright #1 ;)

We have constantly failed with rookie picks and late nd picks and ignored trades to find a bloody good small fwd. Finally we have as a club decided to pay a decent price in an attempt to find a good player in this role.I hope he becomes the player we desperately need. Personally i am not sure about him but i sure as hell acknowledge the need to take a player of his type with a good pick.On this one i am hopeful.

My greatest fear is expectations. He is not Cyril and to be honest has not shown anywhere near what Cyril showed as a junior. Having traded our second round pick he was not going to be available to us so first round it was.Again i dont have a problem with it.
In fairness to him though he has a great skillset for the role we so desperately need him to develop into. Patience more patience and low expectations in his first few years is needed.
This kid was 65kg wringing wet when drafted, it will take some time even for a small with great pace and good skills to play good footy at AFL level..
Play him if possible. In fact i think we need to as much as possible,Thing is he is not going to impact games SHORT TERM and we need to accept this will take time.

We have constantly failed with rookie picks and late nd picks and ignored trades to find a bloody good small fwd. Finally we have as a club decided to pay a decent price in an attempt to find a good player in this role.I hope he becomes the player we desperately need. Personally i am not sure about him but i sure as hell acknowledge the need to take a player of his type with a good pick.On this one i am hopeful.

My greatest fear is expectations. He is not Cyril and to be honest has not shown anywhere near what Cyril showed as a junior. Having traded our second round pick he was not going to be available to us so first round it was.Again i dont have a problem with it.
In fairness to him though he has a great skillset for the role we so desperately need him to develop into. Patience more patience and low expectations in his first few years is needed.
This kid was 65kg wringing wet when drafted, it will take some time even for a small with great pace and good skills to play good footy at AFL level..
Play him if possible. In fact i think we need to as much as possible,Thing is he is not going to impact games SHORT TERM and we need to accept this will take time.

I might be in the minority, but I think he could have an impact straight away. The reason being we get A LOT of inside 50's. However, we also give up quick rebound fifties as we don't have a crumber, so the time that Vickery/Jack/Griff crash the packs, or don't mark the ball, we don't have a speedy small forward to pounce on the loose ball to make our forward line a little bit more dynamic. We rely on running goals from midfielders, or our forwards taking marks. We are almost useless when the ball hits the deck. Bringing Rioli in means that our forward line gets more dynamic and dangerous instantly as we have another avenue to goal. And if we continue to generate inside 50's as we have done, I wouldn't be surprised to see him kick a respectable tally in 2016 if he plays a majority of games.

Daniel Rioli looks the type that will thrive in the seniors from the get go, Mopsy mentions he iis/was 65kgs ringing wet when drafted
everything i have seen and read as well as looking at the kids pic's indicate he is /was 71kgs when drafted in november when drafted and could easily have gained 3/4kgs in 5 months in a prof club.

The biggest advantage and main reason i believe he can make an instant impact is the fact that he plays a role where strength and weight is not as important as speed,agility,instinct and repeat ability which are all the area's that daniel elite in.

Wouldnt suprise me one bit if at the end of 2016 Daniel has played 14/15 games and kicked 20-25 goals

Having traded our second round pick he was not going to be available to us so first round it was.Again i dont have a problem with it.

It became common knowledge that the Hawks were into him with on of their two first round picks, as were the Dons with their second pick and the WCE as well. Im not sure he would've made it to pick 24 (our 19 traded to Carlton pushed back due to academy selections), but that's just me nitpicking.

Otherwise I agree whole heartedly with your post. I personally think he will make it (my hope is that he will only need 12 possessions to profoundly impact a game), but see that there are expectations whether a result of his draft selection or his last name which - at least initially - are probably unwarranted.

The other thing Id add is in reference to your point of 'natural' forwards in the best 22 thread. Unlike wha lt I saw of Gresham and others, Rioli looks like a natural forward. Our previous small forwards have been more pressure based than scoreboard impact base, as a result of a lack of 'natural' forward ability (IE King and Morris. Though I always loved watching the former).

Good selection. Probably not in the frame for round one, but if he is in the best 22 come round 23, the club will be better for it.

If you see what you want then you pay and get him, Not fussed what we paid if he was truly rated as what we wanted

Cyril was also selection similar to Daniel and there is no reason why he cant be just as good

Happy with this selection
Daniel will be better ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Traded to GC, picks 6&23.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back