NFL 18 Game Season Probably on the Way

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL looking closely at expanding to 17 games with international flavor

NEW YORK (AP) -- Americans always seem to want more pro football. Yet it's the folks abroad who might be getting an extra taste of the NFL in the future.

Although talks are extremely preliminary, the NFL is investigating adding a 17th regular-season game and playing it outside the United States. The extra game would take the place of one in the preseason, allowing every team to play once abroad without sacrificing a home match.

This year, the Dolphins gave up a home date in Miami to play the New York Giants at Wembley Stadium in London. Two years ago, the Arizona Cardinals played a home game in Mexico City against the San Francisco 49ers.

"It is preliminary, but we certainly are putting resources into pulling that together," said Mark Waller, NFL senior vice president, international. "For now, we have the one game per season or two per season outside of the U.S. But we know it can be tough on home fans since we're taking a game away.

"So we have asked how do we create more inventory without taking games away from fans? That idea came up in internal conversations and we now have an international committee of owners and we talked it through with them, and they asked us to do some groundwork."

While the 17th game won't get off the ground next season, for sure, it could become a staple of the NFL's schedule by 2009 or 2010. But it would present some significant logistical and scheduling challenges.

For one, if there is another week to the regular season, does that mean openers played on Labor Day weekend, something the NFL has avoided in recent years? Or does it mean pushing the Super Bowl back a week to the second Sunday in February? Or leaving the title game where it is and eliminating the week off between conference championships and the Super Bowl?

"I don't see a huge downside to a week later. The strength of the idea warrants bringing it up for discussion," Waller said.

And what about during a Winter Olympics year such as 2010?

"It might be an issue for the Olympics," he adds with a laugh.

Where would the "foreign games" be played? And how would they be divided?

Waller notes that there won't be 16 different venues for the 17th games. More likely would be a "mini-season ticket" of perhaps four games in one city or country.

"It is very early, but our thought is what we could end up with is every week there would be one international game," he said. "We won't have all of them on the same week. And what you would do is look at taking, for instance, four games to London. Play a game in Wembley each month, having eight different teams coming through. A game in September, one in October, one in November and one in December.

"It's a great opportunity from a fan perspective, because they get half of what a fan in the United States gets, four games to eight."

Aside from England, other prime areas to get games would be Germany, which has a half-dozen quality stadiums thanks to last year's World Cup; Mexico; and Canada. Waller doubts Asia or Australia would be targeted because of the travel concerns, but he doesn't dismiss anything. Or anywhere.

"It is a complex idea and it will take a lot of work on a number of sides," Waller said. "The beauty of it is it's competitively fair."

Interesting concept.

Re: NFL looking at expanding to 17 games with international flavor

Have valid passport... only Hienz Field is on my destination stadium list. Nothing like feeling at home away from home.

Waller doubts Asia or Australia would be targeted because of the travel concerns, but he doesn't dismiss anything. Or anywhere.

The only real way I could see it working would be to have the two teams have a bye week the week prior to a game down here, and scheduled the game middle of the week, probably on a Thursday.

The only real way I could see it working would be to have the two teams have a bye week the week prior to a game down here, and scheduled the game middle of the week, probably on a Thursday.

Or they could have 2 games one in Melbourne and one in Sydney. Those 4 teams could then swap opponents for there next match.

Or they could have 2 games one in Melbourne and one in Sydney. Those 4 teams could then swap opponents for there next match.

They said that each club would only get one International game per year, rotating location between England, Germany, Canada, and Mexico.

They said that each club would only get one International game per year, rotating location between England, Germany, Canada, and Mexico.

Yeah I realized that. I meant that 4 teams come here say Cowboys vs Giants and Jets Vs Texans. Then when they return home Giants could host Jets and Cowboys host Texans. That way they cut down on the travel when they return and they are playing another team who had to travel a long distance.

Yeah I realized that. I meant that 4 teams come here say Cowboys vs Giants and Jets Vs Texans. Then when they return home Giants could host Jets and Cowboys host Texans. That way they cut down on the travel when they return and they are playing another team who had to travel a long distance.

Oh I got you now. Yeah, would be fair. It's a shame that the NFL have not embraced derby games. Aside from the Ohio one, they only occur once every four years.

Goodel Wants to Extend the Season to 17 or 18 Games

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4015357

Has said that 4 pre season games are pointless, and that maybe, soon, the season will be longer. The two alternatives discussed for resolving the discrepancy in home/away games were that one conference plays an extra home game on season, and the other the next. The other, more interesting idea is that the 17 extra games produced would be on neutral sites, and some of these overseas. This could be good for Australia. Of course if they opted for an 18 game season then there would be an even number of games and no need for this

Re: Goodel wants to extend the season to 17 or 18 games

You can see a 'positive & a negative' to expanding the schedule to 17-18 weeks. I say, if it ain't broke, just stick with it. The month long pre-season has always been there. Whoopy do. Gives teams TIME to get their shit together.

This will happen eventually, stingy owners get an extra few dollars for admission, players can break more records and demand higher salaries, more money from television rights and fans get more football.

Despite players being more fatigued during the playoffs, more injuries, ugly football in the first few weeks and so forth, but who really cares about that. Players well-being is always for sale to the highest bidder.

im of the same opinion as woodson here....the 16 game regular season works well with the current number of teams, the division/conference restructure of 2002 and the associated schedule derived from it.

personally, i dont think the pre-season should come into it. a bit like the AFL, it's mainly the no-lifers who think that practice games need to mean something. they actually do btw, just not from an spectator entertainment pov.

Just a suggestion ... the added two games just come against the two teams in the other conference that finished in the same position as that did in the previous season, but excludes the division the team played the previous season? If that makes sense. :eek:

The example, using the Baltimore Ravens, would be thus: they played the NFC East last year and NFC North this year. So their two added games would come against the second placed NFC South and NFC West teams, Atlanta and San Francisco.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually, 18 games would be neater for scheduling.

Currently, teams play 6 division games. So 10 games left.
They play a whole other division (4 games).
They play another whole division (4 games).
Then they play 2 games against one division.

So....the extra 2 games can mean they play the other 2 teams in that division.

So a clean:-
6+4+4+4

Actually, 18 games would be neater for scheduling.

Currently, teams play 6 division games. So 10 games left.
They play a whole other division (4 games).
They play another whole division (4 games).
Then they play 2 games against one division.

So....the extra 2 games can mean they play the other 2 teams in that division.

So a clean:-
6+4+4+4

not entirely correct there, gg. teams dont play two teams from another division to make up the final 2 games.

home & away within the division (6 games)
all teams in another division within conference (4 games)
one team from each of the other two divisions in the conference based on prior year's division standings (2 games)
all teams in a division in the other conference (4 games)

DB10's suggestion has some merit, but then the extra games are going out-of-conference.....IMO, it would be be better to keep them within the conference as it will be beneficial to conference tie-breakers.

at present the the games from the other two division's within the conference are based on prior year's standings, e.g., in 2008 the schedule, the AFC East had a full schedule against the AFC West so the AFC East 1st place of 2007 (NE) played the AFC North 1st place of 2007 (PIT) and the AFC South 1st place of 2007 (IND). The same for the 2nd placed teams, 3rd placed & 4th placed teams. Next season AFC East has a full schedule against the AFC South so MIA (AFC East 1st placed in 2008) will play PIT (AFC North 1st placed in 2008) and SD (AFC West 1st placed in 2008) as they're the same ranked teams in the divisions that they dont have a full schedule against. in an 18-game team schedule, the extra two games could work on the same system. hypothetically 1st-placed teams play each other and the 3rd-placed teams, and the 2nd placed teams play each other and the 4th-placed teams, and so on.

i still stand by my opinion tho, that the 16-game shedule is the most ideal for the current number of teams and division/conference structure. $$$ wise is another matter.....but people have to remember that costs will increase as well. is there an increasing marginal benefit in scheduling two more games?? non-monetary factors such as player welfare and fitness need to be taken into account as well.

Yeah, you're right mcgarnacle. I'm off my face.

But, i think moving to 18 would make it better because then they COULD do...

6 same division
4 another division same conference
4 another division same conference
4 another division different conference

you get all your conference tiebreakers, and the schedule every season would be very easy to draw up. Can cycle thru whole divisions like this.

Just a suggestion ... the added two games just come against the two teams in the other conference that finished in the same position as that did in the previous season, but excludes the division the team played the previous season? If that makes sense. :eek:

The example, using the Baltimore Ravens, would be thus: they played the NFC East last year and NFC North this year. So their two added games would come against the second placed NFC South and NFC West teams, Atlanta and San Francisco.
So, by winning your division you get a harder schedule and by losing it you get an easier schedule??

Yeah, that is a great idea. :rolleyes:

Why would you even want to do that? What are the benefits? Apart from the obvious additional distortions in the draw.

I'm sure there will be people that don't like my idea, but comments are welcome.

I would have the regular season go 17 Weeks, but no byes, so each club plays 17 games.

I would scrap conferences, as was discussed on this board recently, and combine the geographical divisions, so you would have 4 divisions of 8 clubs each.

East
New England
Miami
New York Jets
Buffalo
New York Giants
Dallas
Philadelphia
Washington

North
Chicago
Green Bay
Detroit
Minnesota
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Baltimore

South
Tennessee
Indianapolis
Jacksonville
Houston
Atlanta
Tampa Bay
New Orleans
Carolina

West
Seattle
San Francisco
Arizona
St.Louis
Oakland
San Diego
Kansas City
Denver

Current divisional rivalries are mainted while geographical rivalries/derbies with clubs that are currently in different conferences are strengthened, for example - the New York Giants and the New York Jets would play eachother twice each season.

14 divisional games.

Move Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football to Thursday Night/Friday Night/Saturday Night for Week 14 (College Football Regular season is over by this point) so that Week 14 ends with the late Sunday afternoon slate of games. Later on Sunday evening, the NFL announces the fixture for Weeks 15, 16 and 17 following the system below.

Teams that finish 1st in each of the four divisions at the end of Week 14 are seeded against eachother from 1, 2, 3, and 4 based on Win/Loss record and some other ageed upon criteria such as point differential to break ties. Once the clubs are seeded 1 to 4, have them play eachother over the last 3 weeks.

Week 15
4 @ 1
2 @ 3

Week 16
1 @ 3
2 @ 4

Week 17
1 @ 2
3 @ 4

1 and 2 only get one home game while 3 and 4 get two homes games. 1 and 2 are put to the test given the more challenging fixtures.

Then do the same for 2nd through 8th divisional positions to complete the fixture for Weeks 15, 16, and 17, which are dubbed the "Inter-Divsisional Weeks".

The idea behind all of this is to create blockbuster playoff-like games during the last three weeks between the best performing teams at that point, without them actually being playoffs, some could potentially be Super Bowl previews/dress rehearsals, and allowing the NFL to schedule them during the big primetime TV slots like Sunday and Monday Night etc. Division Titles are still up for grabs in these last 3 weeks, its just that intra-divisional play is already over.

Ofcourse, this also means that the weak clubs in 8th position in the divisions play against eachother too, but it guarantees (disregarding overtime ties) wins for these struggling clubs towards the end of the season to boost morale for these clubs for next year.

One gripe people would have is that this opens up the possiblity of Team A not playing Team B for years/decades, but I personally like the randomness that comes to play in this system. The match-ups in the inter-divisional games and later, the playoffs, become more of a novelty in putting two clubs to play eachother that normally would not.

For the playoffs following Week 17, Division Champions are seeded 1 to 4. Then next best 8 clubs, regardless of division are seeded 5 to 12.

1, 2, 3, and 4 get a week off, while 5 v 12, 6 v 11, 7 v 10, and 8 v 9 participate in the Wild Card Playoffs. Do re-ranking, after the Wild Card Round and Divisional Round, so that the top seeds are playing the bottom seeds. Conference Championship Games are renamed the Preliminary Playoffs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4015357

Has said that 4 pre season games are pointless, and that maybe, soon, the season will be longer. The two alternatives discussed for resolving the discrepancy in home/away games were that one conference plays an extra home game on season, and the other the next. The other, more interesting idea is that the 17 extra games produced would be on neutral sites, and some of these overseas. This could be good for Australia. Of course if they opted for an 18 game season then there would be an even number of games and no need for this

Question: How does one Conference play more Home games than the other conference? 16 teams in each Conference each play 16 Games, 8 @Home and 8 on the Road. I am very surprised none of you pick it up. But them I am A Detailer of Stickles.

Question: How does one Conference play more Home games than the other conference? 16 teams in each Conference each play 16 Games, 8 @Home and 8 on the Road. I am very surprised none of you pick it up. But them I am A Detailer of Stickles.
I don't really understand what your saying here. This was in reference to the season being extended, and if it was extended to 17 games then there would be an uneven number of home and away games. Some would play 9 Home, 8 Away and others the other way round. The suggestion to overcome this was for one conference to get all the extra home games one season, and the other conference the next, to make it fair

So, by winning your division you get a harder schedule and by losing it you get an easier schedule??

Yeah, that is a great idea. :rolleyes:

Why would you even want to do that? What are the benefits? Apart from the obvious additional distortions in the draw.

he's suggestion isnt that far-fetched, greenie. it's how 2 games in each team's schedule is presently determined anayway. the thing i dont agree with is if the conference setup is to be maintained, then any extra games should remain within the conference.

I'm sure there will be people that don't like my idea, but comments are welcome. {snip}

you've put a lot of work into that, fj.

the major problem i see with it is that it is a major departure from the current structure. while there are 32 teams in the NFL, i cant see the NFL going radical with the schedule.

picking out the cons in your own system shows that you've put a lot of thought into the whole thing. and yes, if only 3 games each year are inter-divisional games, and add to this the randomness of the scheduling of these games, then it could take decades before any two teams from different divs face-off. this was big problem prior to the restructure. the fans should have the ability to see every team within a respectable timeframe.

another facet im not to keen on is the virtual playoffs in the final 3 games of the regular season. there might be some extremely enticing games there, but there will also be plenty of dead-rubbers. furthermore, it gives the opportunity for 2nd or 3rd ranked teams within an even division (after intra-division play) to leap-frog the 1st ranked team who will have to play tougher 1st ranked teams in other divisions. IMO, the top team within each division needs to be rewarded for its regular season performances, rather than its task be made harder.

you'll have many supporters re the basic 4 division setup, and this does have merit....but personally, im not even a fan of this. the competition could become a repetitive mundane affair with the the bulk of the schedule being similar season after season.

there might be some extremely enticing games there, but there will also be plenty of dead-rubbers. furthermore, it gives the opportunity for 2nd or 3rd ranked teams within an even division (after intra-division play) to leap-frog the 1st ranked team who will have to play tougher 1st ranked teams in other divisions. IMO, the top team within each division needs to be rewarded for its regular season performances, rather than its task be made harder.

You've hit 'em between the eyes McGarnacle. :thumbsu:

Good work fj.. busted ya nut to work it out.. I reccommend you help the ditzy AFL who could well NEED your expertise.

the competition could become a repetitive mundane affair with the the bulk of the schedule being similar season after season.

A-League experienced this last season, with only 8 teams it seems like every second game is against the same team - and has been for 4 years. Crowd numbers dwindling, certain amount of monotony, would expect a similar effect in the NFL if this was adopted.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL 18 Game Season Probably on the Way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back