NFL 18 Game Season Probably on the Way

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Goodel wants to extend the season to 17 or 18 games

Will happen... if that's what Commish Goodel says. Not before the 2010 campaign tho'. (CBA will be up for re-newal/ re-addressed ready for the 2011 season). So I read. :)

I had never heard this before, but looks like a longer NFL season will be coming in the next few years: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/sports/football/24nfl.html. Some analysis: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Pros-cons-of-an-18game-season.html

More analysis: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81134ae2/More-games-more-problems

How could they not? 16 games is a hugely short season - even with playoffs etc and the toll American Football takes on the body. I like it! :thumbsu:

I have posted a poll to gauge opinion on the possible change.

Evan.

no thanks . just perfect the way it is. Although would love a longer season but the 16-game schedule just makes every game more cutthroat.

2 extra games a season is a lot over the career of a player. Just lead to more injuries, earlier retirements.

against it for many reasons. adding two more matches dilutes the importance of winning each game.

the only reason i do like it is because teams in the same division will each be able to play the same opponents throughout the year. at present, only two teams in the same division have the exact same schedule. still though, the home & away advantages will still be skewed due to the NFL scheduling.

If it goes to 18 games, each club in a division should play all the teams in two other divisions of their own conference. This would strengthen the basic idea of a conference.

To break it down...

6 Divisional Games
After each year, each club would have played 3 opponents, Home & Away.

8 Inter-Divisional Conference Games
After every 3 years, each club would have played 12 opponents, Home & Away.

4 Inter-Conference Games
After every 8 years, each club would have played 16 opponents, Home & Away.

If we the NFL wants to keep conferences, then don't do it half arsed... keep inter-conference play to 4 games for each club each year, make it a rare event for a club, a la the Super Bowl.

I think it is perfect the way it is. Although many moan about pre-season it is a vital tool in setting your roster and working out who is going to on your special teams as there are guys fighting for a job on every single punt and kick!

I totally agree with the poster who said it would less the important of winning each game.

Also what about the season records, they would all fall.

If it goes to 18 games, each club in a division should play all the teams in two other divisions of their own conference. This would strengthen the basic idea of a conference.

To break it down...

6 Divisional Games
After each year, each club would have played 3 opponents, Home & Away.

8 Inter-Divisional Conference Games
After every 3 years, each club would have played 12 opponents, Home & Away.

4 Inter-Conference Games
After every 8 years, each club would have played 16 opponents, Home & Away.

If we the NFL wants to keep conferences, then don't do it half arsed... keep inter-conference play to 4 games for each club each year, make it a rare event for a club, a la the Super Bowl.

I'd like to weaken the divisions, and have more intra-conference games. And then change the play-off criteria so that teams are matched against others in the conference, more than the division.

Perhaps you could say "... fill playoff spots with the top x teams in the conference. Remaining spots filled by teams not in the first list, but who topped a weak division. Then ...".

I know the idea isn't new...

Also what about the season records, they would all fall.

Football is actually a sport where records arent revered as they are other sports; ie. baseball. People remember you for the way you play, the superbowls you win, not for how many tackles you made or touchdowns you threw.

I think 18 games is perfect. Each team can have an extra bye week, extend the season into late january and play the Super Bowl at the end of Feb.

I'd like to weaken the divisions, and have more intra-conference games. And then change the play-off criteria so that teams are matched against others in the conference, more than the division.

I disagree 100%

It's one of the aspects of the NFL that makes it great.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

An 18 game season will mean more dead rubbers and late season will start to resemble the farce we see in the AFL where teams give up trying to win. More importantly though, it will probably lead to a dminished importance on divisional games. Bad news IMO

The NFL aren't stupid and don't run the most successful professional sporting competition on the planet for no good reason. They won't change if they see the risks. 18 games might happen but if they do it, I reckon it will be on the back of new franchises and deeper divisions.

I disagree 100%

It's one of the aspects of the NFL that makes it great.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

An 18 game season will mean more dead rubbers and late season will start to resemble the farce we see in the AFL where teams give up trying to win. More importantly though, it will probably lead to a dminished importance on divisional games. Bad news IMO

The NFL aren't stupid and don't run the most successful professional sporting competition on the planet for no good reason. They won't change if they see the risks. 18 games might happen but if they do it, I reckon it will be on the back of new franchises and deeper divisions.

Hey JeffDunne,

Could you expand on your opinions on the divisions? I have always seen them as a bit unfair - some teams seemingly getting an easy ride into the playoffs. I am clearly not getting them :). Perhaps it is the drama of seeing you team miss the playoffs with a better win-loss record than some other successful playoff entrants.

That said, when your team is on fire, it is fun to watch them clinch the division, then home-field advantage etc as the season wears on...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best analogy I reckon is what happens in a tennis tournament or something like the world cup.

You have to win through certain stages and the first stage is the divisional battle. Because it's a 1 in 4 chance of getting through with additional incentive of a wildcard, in a 16 game season most teams are in the hunt longer than they are in other formats (like with the AFL)

We often see divisional battles were all four teams are a chance late into the season. Each division is a contest in it's own right.

The NFL should never dimish what is one of the key ingredients in it's success.

The important thing to remember too is that owners understand what makes them money. Ultimately they are the people that will decide. They might see the profit in extra games but they won't allow it to undermine this one fundamental.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL 18 Game Season Probably on the Way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back