NFL (19/20) Super Bowl LIV: Kansas City Chiefs vs San Francisco 49ers

Game Predictions...(1 vote per category, 7 votes total)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So does everyone watch at home or have a good pub for the big game? We head to Pig n Whistle Riverside in Bris which decks out for SB for the day. Would like to head to Melb one year if there's a good city vibe for the day which anyone can suggest?

I go to a pub with a few mates every year. Been to a different place every year though since SB51 it must have been. It's actually hard to find a decent place in my city.

Last year we rock up and the place is supposed to have Bud buckets for $20 and buffalo wings for whatever price. Order a beer and their order of Buds haven't rocked up yet. Swear they only ordered like 3 or 4 cartons because they were gone before the half. 9 mins left in the 2nd qtr and my mate goes to order wings and they're sold out.. joke lol.

Chiefs guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif has a medical degree. Good article on SI from a few years ago

[NFL Research] Mahomes will play in his first #SuperBowl this Sunday, but he's already posting the best numbers of the Super Bowl 𝙚𝙧𝙖. He has the most pass YPG (302.9), best TD-INT ratio (87-18) & highest passer rating (109.6) of any QB w/ 1,000+ pass att in the Super Bowl era, incl playoffs

[NFL Research] Mahomes will play in his first #SuperBowl this Sunday, but he's already posting the best numbers of the Super Bowl 𝙚𝙧𝙖. He has the most pass YPG (302.9), best TD-INT ratio (87-18) & highest passer rating (109.6) of any QB w/ 1,000+ pass att in the Super Bowl era, incl playoffs

but but but - Jimhee!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He does seem like it on twitter. But watching him on podcasts he's completely different. You wouldn't even know it's the same person. He's ability to predict whether a game goes O/U is next level

Yeah good for him. I've only heard him on Pardon My Take and just didn't really like him. Definitely on the spectrum (not that that's not ok just an observation)
It was a good game to bet on, The Australian media was heavy on the Broncos and that pushed the Seahawks over $2 on sportsbet.

I always thought the Seahawks were the favourites.

Do you really think the minimal Australian betting coverage would sway odds like that?

Do you really think the minimal Australian betting coverage would sway odds like that?

For an Australian online betting company? Yes.

Both teams started at around the same odds and the Australian media was heavy on the Broncos as the sure thing.

I saw it happen with the 2014 AFL grand final, The media heavily influenced the Swans short odds for that game.

Biggest factors for me are Chiefs on 1st/2nd down, and Garoppolo throwing on 1st/2nd down.

Chiefs mic their coverages on early downs, but when playing zone play virtually only cover 3. They've been succesful but Garoppolo has been elite facing cover 3 on early downs. 1st in YPA, 2nd in success rating, a passer rating of 120, and a 9/2 TD/INT ratio. That is a tipping point. These two fronts are ranked #1 and #2 rushing the passer on 3rd downs, and this is why early down success is going to be so crucial, in order to avoid 3rd down situations where the pass rush can take over. Furthermore, KC are 2-3 this year when losing the early down success rate battle. San Francisco rank 13th in offensive EDSR, and the Chiefs 5th, however the 49ers pass D ranks 1st, and the Chiefs D 28th against the run. If Garoppolo has success it will go a long way to a 9ers win (obviously).

However, if the Chiefs also have early down success, then they'll be putting up points all night long. I do expect this for a few reasons. First of all, San Francisco has 0 sacks this year against plays with pre snap motion. Reid loves using pre snap motion, and although his numbers this season were much lower in comparison to last season, he's ramped it up for the playoffs. The general design of many of KC's plays, with the deep vertical routes also favours them against the cover 3 press bail that San Fran runs. Surprisingly, the 9ers D rank 32nd in red zone success rate allowed against 11 personnel. The Chiefs are the #1 most successful offence in 11 personnel this year. The 9ers also rank 31st in sack rate inside their own 40 yd line. It's going to take a performance sent from hell by the 9ers D line to stop the Chiefs offence. Von Miller did note that Eric Fisher struggles against power rushes. He thought that Bosa could have some success. Another thing to watch there.

Back to the 9ers offence. This team runs 21 personnel more than any team in the league. The Chiefs are the 5th worst defence against 21. This set allows the 9ers to run a lot of PA passes, and particularly from under centre with the FB in the backfield. They use pre snap motion more than any other team (70%), and the Chiefs are the worst run D in the league against pre snap motion. Off of this is the PA passing game as I noted. This is a weakness for the Chiefs defence, and the 9ers are a top 3 offence here.

I notoriously hate high scoring games. But with these coaches and QB's, it's just going to happen. The Chiefs ST's make this an absolute flip of the coin. The last team with the ball who has a realistic chance of scoring will absolutely win the game IMO. Reid has been known for poor clock management, and questionable decision making late in big games. Shanahan has been known for being too aggressive at one particular point. After being criticised following SB51 he said the biggest lesson he learnt was that a 25 point lead isn't enough. This man isn't going to go conservative at any point. And any Garopplo haters saying run after run is being conservative to protect Garoppolo are stupid. If you're running for 8 yards a clip you don't go away from that. Shanahan will have his foot on the gas all night long in this one, and I trust him a touch more than Reid.

SF: r3. - 14 - 10 - 10 - 37
KC: 10 -[7. - ,3r - 14 - 34

For an Australian online betting company? Yes.

Both teams started at around the same odds and the Australian media was heavy on the Broncos as the sure thing.

I saw it happen with the 2014 AFL grand final, The media heavily influenced the Swans short odds for that game.

Our betting companies only reflect the money and odds that are thrown around in Vegas generally. The NFL is getting more popular but it's still somewhat of a niche market for the most part, nothing close to the money bet on AFL. Not to mention how gutless the bookies over here, generally they won't take big bets from the winning heavy hitters like they do in Vegas.

Biggest factors for me are Chiefs on 1st/2nd down, and Garoppolo throwing on 1st/2nd down.

Chiefs mic their coverages on early downs, but when playing zone play virtually only cover 3. They've been succesful but Garoppolo has been elite facing cover 3 on early downs. 1st in YPA, 2nd in success rating, a passer rating of 120, and a 9/2 TD/INT ratio. That is a tipping point. These two fronts are ranked #1 and #2 rushing the passer on 3rd downs, and this is why early down success is going to be so crucial, in order to avoid 3rd down situations where the pass rush can take over. Furthermore, KC are 2-3 this year when losing the early down success rate battle. San Francisco rank 13th in offensive EDSR, and the Chiefs 5th, however the 49ers pass D ranks 1st, and the Chiefs D 28th against the run. If Garoppolo has success it will go a long way to a 9ers win (obviously).

However, if the Chiefs also have early down success, then they'll be putting up points all night long. I do expect this for a few reasons. First of all, San Francisco has 0 sacks this year against plays with pre snap motion. Reid loves using pre snap motion, and although his numbers this season were much lower in comparison to last season, he's ramped it up for the playoffs. The general design of many of KC's plays, with the deep vertical routes also favours them against the cover 3 press bail that San Fran runs. Surprisingly, the 9ers D rank 32nd in red zone success rate allowed against 11 personnel. The Chiefs are the #1 most successful offence in 11 personnel this year. The 9ers also rank 31st in sack rate inside their own 40 yd line. It's going to take a performance sent from hell by the 9ers D line to stop the Chiefs offence. Von Miller did note that Eric Fisher struggles against power rushes. He thought that Bosa could have some success. Another thing to watch there.

Back to the 9ers offence. This team runs 21 personnel more than any team in the league. The Chiefs are the 5th worst defence against 21. This set allows the 9ers to run a lot of PA passes, and particularly from under centre with the FB in the backfield. They use pre snap motion more than any other team (70%), and the Chiefs are the worst run D in the league against pre snap motion. Off of this is the PA passing game as I noted. This is a weakness for the Chiefs defence, and the 9ers are a top 3 offence here.

I notoriously hate high scoring games. But with these coaches and QB's, it's just going to happen. The Chiefs ST's make this an absolute flip of the coin. The last team with the ball who has a realistic chance of scoring will absolutely win the game IMO. Reid has been known for poor clock management, and questionable decision making late in big games. Shanahan has been known for being too aggressive at one particular point. After being criticised following SB51 he said the biggest lesson he learnt was that a 25 point lead isn't enough. This man isn't going to go conservative at any point. And any Garopplo haters saying run after run is being conservative to protect Garoppolo are stupid. If you're running for 8 yards a clip you don't go away from that. Shanahan will have his foot on the gas all night long in this one, and I trust him a touch more than Reid.

SF: r3. - 14 - 10 - 10 - 37
KC: 10 -[7. - ,3r - 14 - 34

I agree with all your thoughts and have a similar scoreline.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL (19/20) Super Bowl LIV: Kansas City Chiefs vs San Francisco 49ers

Back