Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Is he contracted for next season? I have heard he may not be happy with the way things have been handled in the past and might leave.
Nope.

You'd think it would be done by now if both parties are keen

Considering the fact we've only recently done Dish, Jacobs, Taz and Boomer, that to me is a sign Walshy has turned his attention to getting them done and Sammy's should follow soon. If it isn't done by week 3 of the finals I'll be a little concerned.

Considering the fact we've only recently done Dish, Jacobs, Taz and Boomer, that to me is a sign Walshy has turned his attention to getting them done and Sammy's should follow soon. If it isn't done by week 3 of the finals I'll be a little concerned.
Sammy will be too busy studying his opponent then to worry about his contract. He'll probably hold out to see if he wins the Norm Smith to jack up his price. ;)

I would be quadrupley shocked if he wasn't offered market rates.

Every club has their tracksuit players.

For those who are unaware of that definition, it's the blokes that would play for a free tracksuit and gym membership.

His 2nd half was brilliant and deserves a 2 year deal.

You'd think it would be done by now if both parties are keen
I know sammy very well and he is keen to stay at the roos, but obviously when you get to his age and isn't one of the elite players of the competition, he has to start thinking about contract length as this could be his last contract he plays out before some younger player pushes him out.
He knows he was down with injury with affected his form for a while and kangaroos stuck with him when some were calling for his head.
So he would love to repay the favour... but sqeezing another year out on his contract by negotiating, would keep him playing the game he loves and from having to return to the reality of finding a job after football

I know sammy very well and he is keen to stay at the roos, but obviously when you get to his age and isn't one of the elite players of the competition, he has to start thinking about contract length as this could be his last contract he plays out before some younger player pushes him out.
He knows he was down with injury with affected his form for a while and kangaroos stuck with him when some were calling for his head.
So he would love to repay the favour... but sqeezing another year out on his contract by negotiating, would keep him playing the game he loves and from having to return to the reality of finding a job after football

Fair enough. I guess it depends. If he's been offered three and wants four then he might get it. If the clubs trying to give him two and he wants three then fair enough. If it's four and he wants five then on ya bike.

I spose it comes down to how long we're talking

For those who are unaware of that definition, it's the blokes that would play for a free tracksuit and gym membership.

That hurt you to say it, didn't it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough. I guess it depends. If he's been offered three and wants four then he might get it. If the clubs trying to give him two and he wants three then fair enough. If it's four and he wants five then on ya bike.

I spose it comes down to how long we're talking
Na i he isn't that silly to think he is going to be worth his contract when he is 29 turning 30.
He doesn't talk about it much, but you would reckon he would love a 4 year contract, but settle for a 3 if kangas won't budge.
4 year would take him to 29 which is plenty, both him and his family are pretty switched on a realistic about football being more of a business and they aren't in some fantasy land of where he is at and where he belongs in the team.

Arj, while I don't agree with your antipathy toward some players, I at least understand it. Wright not so much. He's a good player, resurrected himself after some struggles, and easily worth a regular best 22 spot. Would play at just about any other club too.

On the Hard/Fast/Skilful graph he definitely lacks a bit along the Fast axis and probably always will. Badly shown up for pace by Walters a few times. No problem with courage or skills though. I'd like to see him be more ambitious and damaging with his disposal but certainly wouldn't call it a weakness and his ability to wheel onto his left to escape corralling is a real strength.

Last edited:
Rejuvenated defender Sam Wright will play on at North Melbourne in 2016 after activating a trigger clause in his existing contract.

Wright signed a one-year contract with the Roos last year but he automatically earned another season at Arden Street when he played his 20th game for 2015 last Sunday against Fremantle.

The defender is now set to become a free agent at the end of next season, but it's believed he is in talks for a longer-term deal that would tie him to the Roos beyond 2016.

Wright has been a revelation for North in defence since being allowed to settle there in the second half of last season.

Dropped three times in the first half of 2014, he soon cemented himself in the Roos' backline after earning a recall against Hawthorn in round 16, and was one of the catalysts for North's second-half comeback against Essendon in the second elimination final.

Wright has carried that momentum into this season when he has played every game and averaged 19.1 possessions at 82 per cent efficiency.

He also leads the Roos for rebound 50s (69), is second for marks (108), third for running bounces (21), sixth for one-percenters (39) and equal eighth for contested marks (11).

The former Murray Bushranger has played 104 games for North since being selected at pick No.27 in the 2008 national draft.

So the trigger clause for this year was to play 20 games.

Yeah, you're young and loyal. But your opinion on Luke doesn't make much sense, as demonstrated by the "choosing on sentiment" call, which the next post proved to be rubbish.
WTF ??

Nice way to welcome a New Brother here folks...........

appease the hethans 98, may I suggest the the year you born 67??

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Back