1st Test: Australia v New Zealand @ Gabba (Thurs - Mon) Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First ball after just no need for a cheeky single when the bloke you are batting with is a poor runner between wickets. Not Punters fault but it was dumb cricket.

Not defending Ponting or blaming Usman, but who cares if it was first ball? If there's a single there be damn well ready to take it. You're playing a Test match for your country - be switched on.

That also means calling NO quickly and loudly if you don't think the single is on.

Can't blame Usman for stuttering, it was a ridiculously risky single to take the first ball upon resumption.

Ponting owes a big hundred now.

First ball after just no need for a cheeky single when the bloke you are batting with is a poor runner between wickets. Not Punters fault but it was dumb cricket.

Whilst you guys make sense...

The great Test sides take the initiative away from you any way they can, one of the best ways is to catch the opposition off guard (like first few overs after a break) with quick singles and a rotation of the strike that upsets the bowlers.

/thanks ben.

Edit: Shot Ricky

Not defending Ponting or blaming Usman, but who cares if it was first ball? If there's a single there be damn well ready to take it. You're playing a Test match for your country - be switched on.

That also means calling NO quickly and loudly if you don't think the single is on.

Agree with this.

Go Ricky Go.

Not defending Ponting or blaming Usman, but who cares if it was first ball?

I think it matters because just after a break you are probably a bit edgy and not moving the feet quite as fluently as when you are well set. So why take such a risk for one solitary run?

Khawaja can get bogged down when he bats. He would never look for a run like that so was surprised to be called through IMO. Guys like Ponting and Hussey would take that run every time.

I think it matters because just after a break you are probably a bit edgy and not moving the feet quite as fluently as when you are well set. So why take such a risk for one solitary run?

There's no excuse not to be ready or switched on - even though I know it happens. They're professionals and would have spoken about how to tackle the session before heading out. Every run you leave out there is a run you still have to get and as mentioned by another poster, it is a great way to take some early initiative in the session.

It is either a risky single or it isn't and they should either take it or not. The first ball or 35th ball of the session is no different. Usman should be ready to take the single or ready to firmly call NO.

There's no excuse not to be ready or switched on - even though I know it happens. They're professionals and would have spoken about how to tackle the session before heading out. Every run you leave out there is a run you still have to get and as mentioned by another poster, it is a great way to take some early initiative in the session.

It is either a risky single or it isn't and they should either take it or not. The first ball or 35th ball of the session is no different. Usman should be ready to take the single or ready to firmly call NO.

To be fair to my argument, I am really annoyed right now. :p

I don't think there was a single there, though. Williamson got to the ball so fast, it would have been horribly tight anyway.

To be fair to my argument, I am really annoyed right now. :p

I don't think there was a single there, though. Williamson got to the ball so fast, it would have been horribly tight anyway.

Yeah, no problems at all. I'm only listening and haven't actually seen it. I'm commenting more on the taking of singles and the mind set in general, rather than this actual instance itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back