Universal Love 2. Dylan Grimes Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the modern day greats for the Tigers … awesome career … well done Dylan Grimes

Really underrated player over the journey. He was a superb defender for years, and has had a great career. He was the perfect foil for Rance.
That’s for sure, they didn’t call them Batman and Robin for nothing lol

batman and robin running GIF

Yep. Me too. Just about the best one on one defender I've ever seen. Big or small, he just destroyed his opponents. At his peak I don't think he was ever beaten.

Charlie can finally sleep with the lights off

Had to overcome a lot of adversity early on and did it the hard way. Injuries, played in the Coburg 2s. Looked like he wouldn’t get past 20 games.

Unbelievable defender, 2019 the absolute pinnacle for him.

3x premiership player, outstanding person. Leaves the club with a great legacy, and an absolute inspiration to the young guys coming through now.

Thoroughly deserves all the plaudits. Super career.

A blues mate told me that Curnow told him that Grimes was the toughest opponent he had played against.

A champion backman who probably should have had 5 or 6 AAs, but Richmond players rarely get those awards despite a dominant period of 4 years and being reasonable for a few more.

Thank you Dylan for just being Richmond great and I will be forever grateful for your contribution to one of the most enjoyable Tiger eras since the late sixties and early seventies which are now distant memories for me.

One of my all time favourites. We lost Rance rd1 2019, we needed someone to step in and step up. He was very good his whole career, but from 2019-2021 he was unbelievable.
Charlie Cameron will forever have nightmares of the no.2 Richmond guernsey.
Thanks Grimesy!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was watching that game in that pocket and that was the biggest collision I've ever seen. When I saw Grimes running at full pace - I thought he's going to have to pull up but he didn't - not even a little. Credit to Higgins as well. Can't believe Grimes got up and actually still got the ball

I was watching that game in that pocket and that was the biggest collision I've ever seen. When I saw Grimes running at full pace - I thought he's going to have to pull up but he didn't - not even a little. Credit to Higgins as well. Can't believe Grimes got up and actually still got the ball

What was he doing that far forward? Lol

Also gave the pill to Ellis who predictably kicked it out on the full

There was one in that classic against West Coast at the MCG in 2019 with Grimes coming from one direction at full pace and Jack Darling coming from the other. You just knew that Grimes would do two things: 1) take Darling out fairly and legally, and 2) win the ball.

I would go so far as to put Dylan Grimes in my best back 6 of all time. I'm talking all clubs, by the way, not just Richmond.

Last edited:
There was one in that classic against West Coast at the MCG in 2019 with Grimes coming from one direction at full pace and Jack Darling coming from the over. You just knew that Grimes would do two things: 1) take Darling out fairly and legally, and 2) win the ball.

I would go so far as to put Dylan Grimes in my best back 6 of all time. I'm talking all clubs, by the way, not just Richmond.

Enright, Scarlett, Tross
Grimes, leppa, hodge

Not a balanced backline but the best I saw live if I had to choose. Brian lake and fletcher also sad omissions

Enright, Scarlett, Tross
Grimes, leppa, hodge

Not a balanced backline but the best I saw live if I had to choose. Brian lake and fletcher also sad omissions
Eerily similar to mine.

Enright Scarlett Grimes
Doull Rance Hodge

Try kicking a winning score with Doull, Scarlett and Grimes in the same backline.

As expected. Absolute gun defender in his prime but the bookends of his career have been ruined by injury.

Thanks for everything, Optimus! Enjpy a well earned retirement!

Still criminal he only has 1 AA. Was arguably the best third tall utility type defender in the league for 6-7 years.
THIS...

Legend.
The accidental hero himself.
Absolute clubman and champion player, he will be missed.
Part of one of the greatest backline ever, good luck for future
Loved reading this...
Say it again!

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love 2. Dylan Grimes Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back