Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

Very much a confidence player, when its up he gets involved but when its down he becomes a spectator.
The key is to keep his confidence up but will be hard now he has been dropped
I know he’s body is not huge but to me he plays like someone who has had a serious KO or has been hit by a big bump or cleaned up during a game of some sort.
I can’t remember this ever happening? So scared of any rough stuff or contact .

I know he’s body is not huge but to me he plays like someone who has had a serious KO or has been hit by a big bump or cleaned up during a game of some sort.
I can’t remember this ever happening? So scared of any rough stuff or contact .
Yeah the year he won the Rising Star he was taking contested marks, tackling and going in for the ball with intent. Not sure what happened since then - glandular fever, confidence, not interested, who knows?

He’s made a lot of strange decisions off field too. At the crossroads now and not sure it’s going to work out for him.
There is just too much talent coming thru now at our club . He’s 26 & offers absolutely nothing more than a new 18-19 year old or a new draftee can provide us in the next few years . I cannot find a strength in his game that warrants keeping or persisting with him. In fact he’s gone backwards two fold since arriving & at 26 keeping any longer turns him into the ultimate example of a list clogger. Keeping opportunities away from potential kids. Not to mention how much we would be paying him at present much more than a 18-19 year old future star kid.

Enigma. I like him but am lost how to incorporate him into the side week to week. It appears so are the selectors.
Just not good enough to get games ahead of Zurhaar, Curtis and Ford, and now probably Duursma too. I'd consider playing him for the rest of the year to see if he's got some trade value in him.

Just not good enough to get games ahead of Zurhaar, Curtis and Ford, and now probably Duursma too. I'd consider playing him for the rest of the year to see if he's got some trade value in him.
I see where you are coming from but I think playing him while he is in this form would send the wrong message to a playing group who seem to be building trust in one another.

What role did he play and how’d he go beyond the stats for anyone who watched the VFL?
Played across half back / wing . He is obviously a lot more comfortable in the VFL but a lot of his weaknesses are still evident also even at this level.
I counted at least 5-6 players ahead of him just today playing in the VFL.
He would absolutely have to change his form or find a role where he can fit in . Otherwise it’s curtains for him I think.

Played across half back / wing . He is obviously a lot more comfortable in the VFL but a lot of his weaknesses are still evident also even at this level.
I counted at least 5-6 players ahead of him just today playing in the VFL.
He would absolutely have to change his form or find a role where he can fit in . Otherwise it’s curtains for him I think.
If he’s trying to get back into the team as a defender he’s at least behind Colby and Hardeman right now and behind Logue in about 3 weeks time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he’s trying to get back into the team as a defender he’s at least behind Colby and Hardeman right now and behind Logue in about 3 weeks time.

Not sure it would be his decision where he plays in the magoos
They’ll be playing him there in the scoobs to get his hands on the ball, restore confidence etc.

This is an opportunity for the club to get the message to him to add more physicality to his game.

He can easily become our top 5 mids with greater levels of physical contest ability and no better place than vfl to build.

He is a good coach's gem find and an ordinary coach's nightmare.

If phillips can be turned into a good tagger then it would staggering that stephenson doesn't step up to become one of our best midfielders.

He is the closest player we have to thomas...in terms of onfield mercurial talents.

If phillips can be turned into a good tagger then it would staggering that stephenson doesn't step up to become one of our best midfielders.

He is the closest player we have to thomas...in terms of onfield mercurial talents.
Pass the pipe to me when your finished, remember sharing is caring.

I agree there's a possibility but it would require a huge turnaround in how he approaches the game.

And I dunno if he wants that. Which would need to be the case for him to become one of our best mids. It doesn't seem like it watching him play.

I am starting to see that sort of talent in Duursma, definitely in Sheeze and I've even seen it in Sleevo but I don't think he has the drive.

I agree there's a possibility but it would require a huge turnaround in how he approaches the game.

And I dunno if he wants that. Which would need to be the case for him to become one of our best mids. It doesn't seem like it watching him play.

I am starting to see that sort of talent in Duursma, definitely in Sheeze and I've even seen it in Sleevo but I don't think he has the drive.

Well, if he aint got drive when being paid at 600k+, then he's a benchwarmer.

Put. Down. The. Bong.

Put. Down. The. Bong.
The bong doesn't do that. That's heavy duty psychedelics territory.

Pass me the DMT.
Third Eye Dreaming GIF by Phazed

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back