AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - The mullet hath returneth - 22/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Good battle with Grundy today. Dominated the clearances.

Against a better team, I reckon he gets caught holding the ball 3 times. Was a much improved performance, and encouraging to see. Still has a long way to go.

Having to be the midfield enforcer and number 1 ruck is a lot to heap on him but **** me does he put in.

Tap work getting better and better.

Didn't see how he went today, heard about 5mins on the radio where they said something like "he's a big clumsy ruck, like mumford, where if you're within 5 meters of him you're probably a good chance of being hurt" meant as a compliment but i thought a bit unfair.

Reminded me that I don't think anyone has really mentioned the bump he put on last week (maybe the matchday thread did I dunno). Best thing i've seen all year - a bloke his size putting on a 100% legal bump.

Providing a glimmer of light in an otherwise dark season.

More of the last couple of weeks please Drapes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Didn't see how he went today, heard about 5mins on the radio where they said something like "he's a big clumsy ruck, like mumford, where if you're within 5 meters of him you're probably a good chance of being hurt" meant as a compliment but i thought a bit unfair.

Reminded me that I don't think anyone has really mentioned the bump he put on last week (maybe the matchday thread did I dunno). Best thing i've seen all year - a bloke his size putting on a 100% legal bump.
Yuck, Mumford comparison. Aside from being a big lump of human that uses his 110 odd kilos to some effect in a game of footy, I don't think they have anything else in common. Mumford borders on cruel disregard for others' safety, whereas Draper always looks like he's at a rave. Only time he ever looked like something actually got to him in a negative way was when he took on NicNat in his first or second game :sweatsmile:

iu-41.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yuck, Mumford comparison. Aside from being a big lump of human that uses his 110 odd kilos to some effect in a game of footy, I don't think they have anything else in common. Mumford borders on cruel disregard for others' safety, whereas Draper always looks like he's at a rave. Only time he ever looked like something actually got to him in a negative way was when he took on NicNat in his first or second game :sweatsmile:

View attachment 1389504

I often refer to him as being at his best when playing like Mumford.

He's not a graceful bloke who's going to do lots of neat things with neat kicks and tidy handpasses. He looks best when he's a big aggressive lump of a human not worried about throwing his weight around (there's the Mumford bit).

The big difference is that he's far more athletic than Mumford was, and is capable of doing things Mumford couldn't so doesn't have to rely on raw cruelty to make himself useful on-field.

Also his around the ground work is starting to click since Anzac Day. Really stood up the last couple of weeks, and he's the kind of guy that drives confidence in the players around him.

As a midfielder you'd love lining up at stoppages with Draper at his raw aggressive best on your side.
so you don't have to do it yourself, yeah? :p

I often refer to him as being at his best when playing like Mumford.

He's not a graceful bloke who's going to do lots of neat things with neat kicks and tidy handpasses. He looks best when he's a big aggressive lump of a human not worried about throwing his weight around (there's the Mumford bit).

The big difference is that he's far more athletic than Mumford was, and is capable of doing things Mumford couldn't so doesn't have to rely on raw cruelty to make himself useful on-field.
The bump on Anzac Day was clinical. How often do you hear "the bump is dead" because someone bigger than their opponent puts one on and it results in head contact/injury?

I thought he was pretty poor to start the season - but he's really starting to turn it around.

His last couple of weeks have been really solid. He's entertaining to watch

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - The mullet hath returneth - 22/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back