VFL Round 15: PORT MELBOURNE vs ESSENDON Saturday 6 July, 2:05pm, North Port Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Jayden Davey has the deadly finish and opportunistic nature we need to put the icing on the cake - just needs confidence in his body I am guessing. Agreed ghostdog Lual disappointing today on those fronts, looks to be cruising a bit - maybe needs more fitness.

Interesting reading from the TV viewers. I'll collate my full thoughts when on laptop but felt Tsatas, Bryan (although down on his usual output) and Visentini (second half) were our best

Good win, had to fight till the end and with such a young group (AFL and VFL listers) was nice to perform especially in a place as arduous as Port Melbourne.

Thought Tsatas last quarter placed him as our best 4 quarter player today, he was sensational in the clearances (11), a clear standout

Will Setterfield probably our second best 4 quarter player. Really controlled the centre in the middle two quarters. 2 goals was the icing on the cake for the man with 9 tackles and 9 clearances as well.

Nick Bryan once again showed why clubs will be lining up for him this off season. Im liking his ability to hit his taps to spots not just in an area.

Wanganeen and Hobbs had such weird games. stat sheet shows they got plenty of it but the impact for such output didn't seem equal. I want more but that's me wanting to see the development.

Vigo showed a lot as a second ruck / fwd, kicked 2, took a couple of nice marks and contributed around the ground.

Davey, Davey, Menzie all contributed on the score sheet so a mulligan there but none tore the game apart like I want to see.

Lual our worst and has a fair bit to get out of his game. Not strong enough yet, ball watches and some of his decisions / skills were below par.

Lewis Hayes solid again

Missed the entire game unfortunately - anyone able to tell me how Archie Roberts went? As good as the stats suggest?

Only saw from 2nd qtr onward and some random thoughts:

Nyko has some tricks that can open space - in particular his footwork. Can see him translating to the top level.

J.Davey opportunistic as mentioned - Menzie gets Joe the gooses but Davey kicks the ones you want from a small forward. Hopefully he and his brother can stick tackles in a year or two.

Lual had a day he would rather forget - I didn't see but sounded like Billy Gowers toweled him up early as well. Looks to be running in second gear a lot.

Foley not as good by foot today as I have seen before.

Didn't really notice anything special from Wanganeen got some of the ball.

Visentini will only get more mobile. Very handy having someone who will be both forward and ruck - a nice set shot routine on him.

Hobbs looks down on confidence. Even when he had it 60 out - I think he tried kicking for goal got too close to the man on the mark and ended up with a nothing kick. Decision making a bit of an issue.

Tsatas was really good and didn't see any of those infamous kicks. Wore contact at times when handballing, knew when he had either 1 second or 3 seconds to get rid of it and based on this made good decisions. We need to leave no stone unturned getting his kicking to the right level. He is developing other parts of his game - a natural on so many levels.

Hoare earlier on was like Tom Barrass - the ball just kept going to him gobbled everything up.

Eckersley nails his chances.

Neat summary Nicholas61 of the VFL guys, I was going to write something up about them as well.

Matt Foley - leading possession getter of the VFL guys. Will agree he wasn't as good as last week but still did a very good job in defence. He has come on in leaps and bounds over the last 18 months. If we could rookie him regardless I would as I think he has ability to fill a lock down small defender role.

Will Hoare - Another guy who I think has AFL attributes. At 25, might be getting long in the tooth for a chance at the top level but he is on par with some guys who currently occupy spots. His contested/intercept marking is awesome. Another double figure day in the marks column puts him in my top 6 for today.

Cam Nyko - 2 possessions at half time suggests he was managed or no where near it in the first two quarters. He certainly has AFL attributes, his kicking is awesome, has awareness and his decision making sets him aside. Id keep him if undrafted

Ryan Eyre - Didn't look overawed today and got some of the ball. Had one howler turnover that resulted in a goal but the 19 year old looks built for this level.

Jared Eckersley - I will continue to shout from the roof tops but he has AFL attributes that saw him on Gold Coast Suns list for the last two years. Takes his chances and being a goal a game medium fwd, I like him

Oskar Smartt has not got near it since hes come back in. Unsure what's going on but looks well short of form atm

First up. Good to catch up with Eth at the game. :cool:

Was a game that was a bit scrappy at times with a lot of free kicks being paid. We pretty much had control after half time other than a couple of short periods. Oddly enough we are only 1 1/2 games outside the 10 and finals footy.

Tsatas - good again. Kicking was okay as he did not go outside his lane too much . Hands where good and his clearance work was good. At times he did look like he did not want to kick the ball. Tackling was good.

Hobbs - not great . Had some good moments but it was a bit of a shit fight for him all day. Looked grumpy.

Setterfield - good 4 quarter game. In the best few.

Hayes - did well enough . Defensively solid.

Bryan - did what he does. Massive amount of hit outs . Good around the ground . Got run off the line of the ball or pushed out or under marking contests and did not physically bowl anyone over all day.

A Davey - flashed in and out a bit. Some good efforts. Few sheep dog moments. 6 tackles was good. Kicking good.

Lual - will be hitting the erase button on this one. Not great viewing .

J Davey - Sharp around goal .

Roberts - good day out. Was the link guy for a lot of the game.

Vigo - good second half.

Wanganeen - okay.

Menzie - okay.

Good win, had to fight till the end and with such a young group (AFL and VFL listers) was nice to perform especially in a place as arduous as Port Melbourne.

Thought Tsatas last quarter placed him as our best 4 quarter player today, he was sensational in the clearances (11), a clear standout

Will Setterfield probably our second best 4 quarter player. Really controlled the centre in the middle two quarters. 2 goals was the icing on the cake for the man with 9 tackles and 9 clearances as well.

Nick Bryan once again showed why clubs will be lining up for him this off season. Im liking his ability to hit his taps to spots not just in an area.

Wanganeen and Hobbs had such weird games. stat sheet shows they got plenty of it but the impact for such output didn't seem equal. I want more but that's me wanting to see the development.

Vigo showed a lot as a second ruck / fwd, kicked 2, took a couple of nice marks and contributed around the ground.

Davey, Davey, Menzie all contributed on the score sheet so a mulligan there but none tore the game apart like I want to see.

Lual our worst and has a fair bit to get out of his game. Not strong enough yet, ball watches and some of his decisions / skills were below par.

Lewis Hayes solid again
Loved the play by play. Appreciate the effort!

Initial thoughts:

#5 Elijah Tsatas: Probably our best. Defensively the best I've seen him and his kicking didn't have any howlers.
#8 Ben Hobbs: he was okay. Just okay. Got his hands dirty, tackling was solid but didn't dominate.
#12 Will Setterfield: Everything was solid but not outstanding. No really noticeable errors, competed hard on the inside.
#18 Lewis Hayes: He did a lot right but a couple of very shaky disposals coming out of defence were concerning.
#24 Nick Bryan: I had him in my bests because he was amongst the best but he didn't dominate like he should have. Think he needs a new club.
#33 Alwyn Davey jr: he did some nice things but at times he doesn't attack the contest as hard as he should, looking for the cheap handball out.
#34 Luamon Lual: Had a shocker, started on Gowers and got killed, then on Manton and got killed. Kicking still a big worry.
#36 Jayden Davey: Kicked a couple and pressure was good.
#38 Archie Roberts: Played more half back than wing. Kicking was on point and the 100m penalty was hilarious, Port fans went crazy at the umps but it was clearly deserved.
#39 Vigo Visentini: Excellent second half providing an option down the line and well deserved couple of goals. Needs to add size because he struggles to get around the stronger players though.
#40 Tex Wanganeen: Think Yoda is being harsh. He had a good game, although he does get the ball a little too deep in defence.
#47 Jye Menzie: he's a natural forward. I'd rather keep him than bring in Ainsworth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now you've seen my boy live ant555, thoughts on Felix Flockhart as an AFL prospect?
No for me. He's strong but not much else. I'd rather trade for a Liam Reidy or Dante Visentini

And somehow, despite only having 5 wins from 13 games, we're not out of the finals race. It's a long shot but we have 3 of the bottom 5 plus Sandy and Gold Coast, who are far from locks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back