Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarkson and Hardwick tried to do what Scott has done. Top up and get a flag.

Both done exactly the same - topped up and left the club in an absolute mess.

This. Clarkson's made zero impression to date with the North list despite their draft concessions. They could've kept Ratten and been in the exact same spot.

Hardwick's inherited an absolutely stacked GC list and did bugger all with it this year. Finals should've been bare minimum, not to mention the mess he left Richmond in. Another year or two of this with the Suns will tarnish his reputation.

In both cases these coaches have had access to the draft that we can only dream about (seriously, I've jumped on DraftGuru a heap and just scrolled through years of pick #2, pick #4, pick #5) and yet here Scott is, leading our team to another prelim.

It's a freaking miracle we are where we are after 13 years of constant contending.

In fairness, if there's an alternative reality where PFD doesn't land in our lap, it may have gone very differently for us.

True, and perhaps some of us (myself included) undersell the importance of geography in how we've been able to stay up for so long. However also tempered slightly by the fact we aren't the only ones who have been advantaged, perhaps we are just the best at taking full advantage.

True, and perhaps some of us (myself included) undersell the importance of geography in how we've been able to stay up for so long. However also tempered slightly by the fact we aren't the only ones who have been advantaged, perhaps we are just the best at taking full advantage.
Considering that it was seen as a significant disadvantage for years until we started winning flags...

In fairness, if there's an alternative reality where PFD doesn't land in our lap, it may have gone very differently for us.
Scott created the environment that attracted guys like danger and Cameron to the club.

He needs to given massive amounts of credit for that.

The lid is actually still screwed on in my house but if we make the GF, let alone if we win it, he'll be one game shy of Rockin' Ronnie Dale Barassi!

Give the man another year!
I’ll be happy to give him another 5 he has developed a finals contending list for the next few years he deserves to see through those years at the least after building up the side again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

W/L ratio in finals can be really deceiving IMO. If you finish 7/8 or 3/4, you're expected to go 0-1 or 1-2. If you're 5/6, you're expected to go 1-1. Bit of a mug's game.
Plus it's a fact of life that hosting finals at the G against MCG tenants obscures things.

2017 and 2019 QFs at GMHBA may have resulted in home prelims and then you might be looking at 2-1 or 3-0 instead of 1-2 in those years. We can't just assume it but it's a complicating factor that a number of top 2 finishes don't give huge advantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back