Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Damo truly scraping around for an angle here. Truth is, as evidenced by his stance through COVID, there wouldn't be a coach less likely to chase the dollar than one C. Scott.

#stayclassycoach
#lovethisclub

I don't read it as Damo suggesting that Scott would be the one pushing for or chasing the money, but rather on the open market where there's no salary cap, that Scott's worth would be significantly higher than he's currently earning and other clubs could well see if there's an offer that could pry him from Geelong

I don't read it as Damo suggesting that Scott would be the one pushing for or chasing the money, but rather on the open market where there's no salary cap, that Scott's worth would be significantly higher than he's currently earning and other clubs could well see if there's an offer that could pry him from Geelong
Barrett suggests that Scott 'needs' the AFLCA to lobby for the removal of the senior coach's position from a footy department's salary cap. I'm simply suggesting that I don't think our coach would be remotely interested in that at all.

Despite Damo's incessant cynicism about what he perceives as universal human nature, it's just a fact that some people aren't entirely motivated by money.

Cornes said something similar on SEN that clubs should aggressive go after Scott (Tas, Port, Crows, WCE) and offer him $2 million plus and cop the fine that comes with breaching the soft cap as these clubs have the money anyway to overpay.

He then said a club like WCE should do the same with Sam Mitchell too who is ooc next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cornes said something similar on SEN that clubs should aggressive go after Scott (Tas, Port, Crows, WCE) and offer him $2 million plus and cop the fine that comes with breaching the soft cap as these clubs have the money anyway to overpay.

He then said a club like WCE should do the same with Sam Mitchell too who is ooc next year.
I doubt Mitchell would go back to WCE

Huge ****ing call…
It is, but he would have won 3 flags with quite different sides as there's been a lot of change since 2022. Almost half of the best 22 has changed and then many roles of existing players have altered.

To do so without ever letting the team drop off would be a staggering achievement - it just isn't meant to be possible. Not in the modern era.

Two great dynasty teams being in the way has stopped his flag haul being mouthwatering but it's still been a mighty effort if he lands 3 or 4 scattered at different times.

Last edited:
If we won a flag this year, do you think he'd keep going?

Not to suggest he shouldn't etc. I think it was he who said he wasn't a career coach (schyeah, right!)
Contracted till 2026 yes? I would imagine get another flag and the club will allow him to make whatever choices he wants

There's 17 coaches who have won 3 flags or more, and of that group 12 won 4 flags or more. As much as I like Scott, it's the absolute definition of recency bias to think a guy with 2 premierships to his name is anywhere even close to being the best coach in the history of the game.
I tend to agree with this however I would say that those coaches who achieved their outcome prior to equalisation measures and/or expanded salary caps (looking at you Brisbane lions) should come into the equation. Ie. two premierships (scott) in the era he coached is probably superior to 3 back in that’s days you could literally buy a premiership

There's 17 coaches who have won 3 flags or more, and of that group 12 won 4 flags or more. As much as I like Scott, it's the absolute definition of recency bias to think a guy with 2 premierships to his name is anywhere even close to being the best coach in the history of the game.
If any club should know that coaching is so much more than a flag count it is Geelong. Yes flags are the single most important measure but the creation and maintenance of a winning culture across 15 seasons is the most spectacular coaching effort in history.

If any club should know that coaching is so much more than a flag count it is Geelong. Yes flags are the single most important measure but the creation and maintenance of a winning culture across 15 seasons is the most spectacular coaching effort in history.
Particularly in an environment that is designed for equalisation

I agree it's about more than flag count, but flag count isn't irrelevant either.

I tend to agree with this however I would say that those coaches who achieved their outcome prior to equalisation measures and/or expanded salary caps (looking at you Brisbane lions) should come into the equation. Ie. two premierships (scott) in the era he coached is probably superior to 3 back in that’s days you could literally buy a premiership

This is a fair point.

Saying he has 2 flags is pretty disingenuous to Chris Scott's coaching career.

He came into the club after we had just suffered probably our worst-ever loss in the Prelim (we were down 105-24 just 12min into the third), just lost our coach of over 10 years who helped revive the club and lost the greatest ever player to play the game. We were in turmoil and looked done. He came in blooded youth and made hard decisions on some of our all-time greats. He won the flag first year and has gone on with a 70% regular season coaching record and 68% overall. Won a second flag 13 years after the first and has kept us as a competitive, destination club.

Saying he has 2 flags is pretty disingenuous to Chris Scott's coaching career.

How is saying a fact disingenuous? What a weird response.

He came into the club after we had just suffered probably our worst-ever loss in the Prelim (we were down 105-24 just 12min into the third), just lost our coach of over 10 years who helped revive the club and lost the greatest ever player to play the game. We were in turmoil and looked done. He came in blooded youth and made hard decisions on some of our all-time greats. He won the flag first year and has gone on with a 70% regular season coaching record and 68% overall. Won a second flag 13 years after the first and has kept us as a competitive, destination club.

I agree with all this and didn't suggest otherwise. He's a very good coach by every metric, both in terms of premierships won and other criteria by which a coach's success may be judged. He is already among an elite group of the best coaches the game has seen. Not disputing that much. All I'm disputing is the idea that he's best coach ever. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that when weighing up "best coach ever", that premierships won should be a relevant variable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back