2 years on, what do you think of the Giants branding?

Remove this Banner Ad

I really like the colours, but thats about it.

The name is cumbersome, its like they were trying to not leave anyone out. Its like calling Gold Coast, Greater South Queensland Coast. So with such a name you just use an acronymn of GWS, which no one really relates to at all.

The name Giants is a bit average & contrived. People critisiced Wolves as an option by saying what has it got to do with Sydney, so what the hell have Giants got to do with Sydney? I associate the name Giants with large, dumb cumbersome creatures. So far they may be playing into this stereotype.

I thought the best name was West Sydney Wolves. I am sure they will eventually drop the "Greater" part eventually. It sounds a bit English Premier League but it rolls off the tongue nicely. Wolves I associate with intelligent, aggressive creatures that are close nit and work in packs to bring down their prey, much like every AFL team should want to be.

Love, love the colours. Love the kind of US style they have gone for. Love the song. Love the stadium.

I don't like the guernsey as much as the other choice which was all orange with the charcoal G. That had much more of a basketball look to it which was more interesting I thought. But the current one is nice and modern.

Greater Western Sydney was a big mistake - I kind of see what they were going for.. but they needed to make it more specific, especially that they had first dibs on the West Sydney "brand" that the Wanderers kind of have now. "Giants" meh, but all of these nicknames are meh. Maybe the West Sydney Pork Barrelers would have been better.

Need to ditch Canberra as well.

City West Link starts just past the Crescent. I understand the desperate reaching, but the fact remains it separates two areas that aren't anywhere near to where the Giants are supposed to represent.

And if you think that the ANZAC bridge's only function is to link the CBD with Glebe and Rozelle then you are a deluded fool who has no concept of geography.

And if you think that the ANZAC bridge's only function is to link the CBD with Glebe and Rozelle then you are a deluded fool who has no concept of geography.

Oh I know that's not its only function. It's also three connections removed from Paramatta Road. ANZAC Bridge > City West Link > Dobroyd Parade > Wattle Street then finally onto Parra road and then you actually start heading west.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love, love the colours. Love the kind of US style they have gone for. Love the song. Love the stadium.

I don't like the guernsey as much as the other choice which was all orange with the charcoal G. That had much more of a basketball look to it which was more interesting I thought. But the current one is nice and modern.

Greater Western Sydney was a big mistake - I kind of see what they were going for.. but they needed to make it more specific, especially that they had first dibs on the West Sydney "brand" that the Wanderers kind of have now. "Giants" meh, but all of these nicknames are meh. Maybe the West Sydney Pork Barrelers would have been better.

Need to ditch Canberra as well.
Disagree. The Canberra market is crucial to the club's success, a fair proportion of our members are based there and virtually every poster in this thread has failed to recognise why the "greater" part of our name is used - to acknowledge Canberra.

Still think they should have been called the Western Sydney Wolves. Jumper has grown on me. Love the orange. Song is fantastic. G-Man, like all human mascots, is terrible. Right down there with Sunny Ray, Docker, and 'Blue'

I like it all, even the song has really grown on me, but agree that they should drop the superfluous "Greater". Stick with Western or West Sydney Giants.

No offence but I'd prefer if the league got to 12 teams, the talent would much more condensed like EPL where the talent is only elite.

Where they have 20 teams, plus every other top European league to distribute the elite players through as well...

G-Man, like all human mascots, is terrible. Right down there with Sunny Ray, Docker, and 'Blue'

Never understood why adults give a second thought to mascots. It's a silly little thing to entertain the kids, completely inconsequential to a club's branding.

Remove this Banner Ad

2 years on, what do you think of the Giants branding?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back