2 years on, what do you think of the Giants branding?

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest, when I first heard about the colours, I was more worried about the charcoal. I thought it would look like that piss weak silver thing that Melbourne wore a few years ago. Luckily, I was wrong.

They need to drop the 'greater', no doubt about that. I think that'll come when they've established themselves a bit more, though.

I personally love the guernsey. It's easily recognizable as theirs, without having a cartoon bird on it. Like the rest of the brand, it's a modern take without being vulgar.

Once we start to hear it a bit more, their song will up there with the best of them.

As a whole, GWS have the foundations for a great brand. Their colours, jumper, logo, song and nickname are modern and unique, but still fit in nicely with the rest of the league. Gold Coast, on the other hand, need an overhaul.

I like the colours.

I like their song

The whole Greater Western Sydney Giants thing doesn't do it for me.

I don't think they Should be called Greater (although I think they are because they include Canberra in their area).

I don't think they even need to be called "Western".

Just the Sydney Giants works for me.

Also how about we name teams after Australian animals.

The West Sydney Wombats has a nice ring :D

Their song is already the best in the comp.

Colours work great too. Agreed that the name is an issue, but I'm really looking forward to seeing them progress in the next few years, moreso than I am about Gold Coast for some reason.

I think they are tracking ok and their choices have worked for them. I dont mind the GWS i dont think too much of greater being something added on the front ... gives them more substance i think ... West Sydney sounds like the poor cousin of Sydney .. which for the moment they are but in time they will do well onfield as well .. have to admire the determination and focus of those managing the club and the willingness of the players to work towards success ... today a 20 goal loss to Sydney ... in 12 months a 10 goal loss ... they will get there just as Gold Coast has

No offence but I'd prefer if the league got to 12 teams, the talent would much more condensed like EPL where the talent is only elite.

You do realise that last time there were 12 teams, your team wasn't one of them. Volunteering to have your club shut down and disbanded. You are brave, my friend, as some would say, 'courageous'. Or do you just want someone else's club shut down and disbanded? That's not very nice.

It's unique.

Fremantle have managed to turn their purple into an integral part of their marketing, the Giants will do the same with their orange.

GWS works, Greater Western Sydney is a bit of a mouthful. They should focus on GWS.

They may find a very interesting market if they start calling themselves the orange haze.

I think by now everyone's aware that their desired support base includes Canberra and a fairly large chunk of western NSW. Dropping the 'Greater' shouldn't be an issue for that reason, and I think it'll be done within ten years. Not intended to disrespect any fans in that area, it's just way too long a name. I wouldn't advise any other name change, but even New South Wales Giants sounds better than Greater Western Sydney Giants, with three less syllables.

You do realise that last time there were 12 teams, your team wasn't one of them. Volunteering to have your club shut down and disbanded. You are brave, my friend, as some would say, 'courageous'. Or do you just want someone else's club shut down and disbanded? That's not very nice.

It has nothing to do with wanting to see clubs disband I personally want to see a more talent condensed competition.

There are some really average footballers out there most clubs have 1 or 2 stars.

The same thing I thought 2 years ago: looks and sounds like some College American Football team. A bad one.

2 years on it looks like a failure. No one from Western Sydney actually follows them despite the millions poured in.

Colours - very good, will probably evolve a bit like with Freo. Orange is a great colour and stands out (think of Dutch football team). It is distinctive when compared to other AFL clubs.
Guernsey design - so so. I have a feeling they will eventually drop the "G" for a simpler design. Again, I can see organic change like Freo.
Song - I haven't heard it, if it is anything like the La Trobe Uni F.C. theme song then I can see why it is liked!
Nickname - meh, ok but nothing special.
Name - terrible, shiteful. I can see them changing in a few years to something simpler like West Sydney. If Footscray hadn't renamed themselves then I'd assume they'd just adopt Western Giants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Colours - very good, will probably evolve a bit like with Freo. Orange is a great colour and stands out (think of Dutch football team). It is distinctive when compared to other AFL clubs.
Guernsey design - so so. I have a feeling they will eventually drop the "G" for a simpler design. Again, I can see organic change like Freo.
Song - I haven't heard it, if it is anything like the La Trobe Uni F.C. theme song then I can see why it is liked!
Nickname - meh, ok but nothing special.
Name - terrible, shiteful. I can see them changing in a few years to something simpler like West Sydney. If Footscray hadn't renamed themselves then I'd assume they'd just adopt Western Giants.
It's got some mixed responses, but I quite like it myself:

Oh I mean other than the Tigers, yours is on another level.
Phew! :)

Never understood why adults give a second thought to mascots. It's a silly little thing to entertain the kids, completely inconsequential to a club's branding.

1) I'm not an adult, i'm basicallya 12 year old wearing the skin of a grown up. Think Tom Hanks in Big.
2) Kids would have loved a wolf more than an oversized oompa-loompa. And a Wolf is a more bad-arse mascot for teenagers and older.

But what's done is done.

It's unique.

Fremantle have managed to turn their purple into an integral part of their marketing, the Giants will do the same with their orange.

GWS works, Greater Western Sydney is a bit of a mouthful. They should focus on GWS.

but FRE (as well as PA) have realised their error in having a patch-work quilt jumper with the BS additional colours of red & green (as if the average joe was really was going to grasp any significance in the port and starboard navigation colours anyway), and streamlined it to a simple colour and design combination.

The 'G' logo in the shape of NSW on the jumper needs to go. It'll date fast. If they're going to trully make orange a standout colour, the jumper should be simplified by dumping the white 'G' and adopting a more enduring logo and orange/charcoal jumper design.

yeah, their song is easily the best IMO. i freakin' hate the cat empire but that dude sure wrote a great club song.

i think they need to prioritise winning. don't worry about getting the big stars like buddy, but use the funds to put together a great team that will play well together. the wanderers show that if you can win, the community will get behind you (although i acknowledge that soccer's grassroots are better established in GWS).

As an outsider, the Giants definitely works for me. Much more so than the cumbersome Greater Western Sydney/GWS name. I reckon it won't be long before they drop the 'Greater' bit and become just West Sydney or Western Sydney, the Giants. I can't stand them being referred to as GWS or worse, "The GWS". I'm a big fan of both the jumper and their colours. Didn't think anyone would look good wearing orange on the field - I feel I was wrong there.

No such thing as 'West' Sydney. It's Western Sydney.

Furthermore, the AFL had first opportunity to claim and identify with the name Western Sydney. I suspect the issue with having the term 'Western' front and centre in the AFL was the existence of Footscray FC trading as Western Bulldogs.

With regard to this, I can understand why the AFL went down the 'Greater' route. The problem is the term 'Greater Western Sydney' is very much a government one. The lay man never uses it. It's has always been Western Sydney to folks up here.

In the Wanderers community consultation process, the overwhelming feedback was for the club to be called 'Western Sydney'. It's what the residents identify themselves with and the club listened on this, as well as on many other issues such as home games location, colours, etc.

In contrast, the AFL basically based their set up on having a unique brand, both within the AFL and in Sydney too. GWS may seem unique in terms of branding and folks in Melbourne have taken to it easily, but it terms of instant attachment for the residents of Western Sydney, it fails miserably.

Yeah, but it's got a bloody big sign on it that says WEST LINK - you know, like, it's a link to WESTERN SYDNEY. Get over it.

do we have to go through this all again Ichabod???

you're confusing an area immediately west of the Sydney CBD with the definition and region of Western Sydney.

I live in the Inner West. It is not the region of Western or Greater Western Sydney. The use of the term 'West' in Inner West is irrelevant. It's obvious the AFL exec nuffies from Melbourne as well as the Giants would like to try and convince folks otherwise and move the accepted boundaries of the region further east, but it is blatantly incorrect.

Western Sydney begins less than 200 metres south east of the Giants new training and administration digs down Australia Ave at the roundabout opposite DFO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Western_Sydney

http://www.westernsydney.nsw.gov.au/about-western-sydney/map/

no reference to the inner west areas of strathfield, burwood, canada bay, ashfield, marrickville or leichardt or even canterbury there.

the only difference between Western Sydney and Greater Western Sydney is the later includes the macarthur region of campbelltown, camden and wollondilly LGA's into the Western Sydney fold under the term 'Greater'.

sydney_gws_low-res.jpg

pink area of map is Western or Greater Western Sydney.

The beginning of Western Sydney region is at the eastern boundary of Auburn LGA, which is Olympic Park.

You're welcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

2 years on, what do you think of the Giants branding?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back