AFL Player #20: Peter Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

i sat next to him at a restaurant after the gold coast game on the GC and had a lengthy chat. Didnt come across arrogant on that occasion.
yeah boncer34 - you’re full of shit mate

He's still easily the best forward of the three. Like even this year when down on form he still had 19 goals in 14 games. Not great but the calls on this site about him were pretty shit

So who plays out of Wright, Draper and Bryan then? I don't think you can have all 3 in the team.

Depends how the Draper and Bryan things plays out - no way both of them are here next year.

2MP could go elsewhere - or he might have a big off season to be the Luke Jackson 65% forward 35% ruck type so Caddy and Jones have time to gel together as the Key Forwards

So who plays out of Wright, Draper and Bryan then? I don't think you can have all 3 in the team.
One of the rucks for me. I'd go in with:

2x key forwards (Wright/Caddy)
1x Medium (Langford)
2x flankers (Gresham, Perkins)
2x pressure smalls (Guelfi, Kako)

To start. Would love to upgrade Gresham too.

Depends how the Draper and Bryan things plays out - no way both of them are here next year.

That's a big call. Not saying you're incorrect, but both are contracted for next year, so the club would have to actively shop them around to trade one of them out. I could see a club like Hawthorn doing that to fix the list, but it's not the type of thing that we do.

Could not trade him quickly enough. It's the wrong time for players not to be physical, slow and in the forward line.

Caddy, Draper, Langford and Jones in more than enough height forward.

Goodwin would not tolerate Wright but Wright could be very effective at Melbourne. We know he can kick 50 with some supply. Hell he would even likely work out well at Port which lacks a marking target. It's not that Wright is no good but he is no good for Essendon at this moment.

That's a big call. Not saying you're incorrect, but both are contracted for next year, so the club would have to actively shop them around to trade one of them out. I could see a club like Hawthorn doing that to fix the list, but it's not the type of thing that we do.

I think Bryan and Hobbsy both demand out

Problem is we have the cards here so need to get appropriate comp (or even overs) to facilitate

One of the rucks for me. I'd go in with:

2x key forwards (Wright/Caddy)
1x Medium (Langford)
2x flankers (Gresham, Perkins)
2x pressure smalls (Guelfi, Kako)

To start. Would love to upgrade Gresham too.

I wish it was possible to take that contraption from the movie The Fly, and merge Draper and Wright into one player. That would almost be the perfect FF and backup ruck.

I think Bryan and Hobbsy both demand out

Problem is we have the cards here so need to get appropriate comp (or even overs) to facilitate

I hope we don't trade Hobbs. I'd love to see him get more midfield time alongside Caldwell, Durham and Tsatas. I think those 4 would make a pretty good midfield for us to build around going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we don't trade Hobbs. I'd love to see him get more midfield time alongside Caldwell, Durham and Tsatas. I think those 4 would make a pretty good midfield for us to build around going forward.

I think Shiel and DP3 have to go to allow Hobbsy, Tsatas, Duurs, Duz, Jye, Zach, Marto and Perks to roll through the midfield/wing

Goodwin would not tolerate Wright but Wright could be very effective at Melbourne. We know he can kick 50 with some supply. Hell he would even likely work out well at Port which lacks a marking target. It's not that Wright is no good but he is no good for Essendon at this moment.
So he’s good but we get rid of him because we can’t kick?! Would be better off keeping him and work on the kicking

He's pretty much Ben Brown with a shorter run-up isn't he? Could see the Dees being very interested.
Also better ruck

Surely we can all agree that if we trade one of the three then there is no doubt at least one of the remaining two will be injured all season? Outstanding depth option is good

Surely we can all agree that if we trade one of the three then there is no doubt at least one of the remaining two will be injured all season? Outstanding depth option is good

He’s damn expensive for depth though. Jones and Cox are also options (up forward). I reckon VV would also be fine for a game or two (as an FF, not ruck)

He’s damn expensive for depth though. Jones and Cox are also options (up forward). I reckon VV would also be fine for a game or two (as an FF, not ruck)
If Wright plays more VFL next year he will want out and we will find a way to move him.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #20: Peter Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back