Past #20: Drew Petrie - NM '01-'16 (324gms/428gls) - WCE '17 (8gms/16gls) - thx for everything Drew

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we have any idea why he's changed his routine? Can't remember him ever kicking at goal off two steps before this year.

Our goal kicking routines are all over the place.

Been one of the real disappointments of this year seeing poor kicking routines go unchanged week to week when obviously technically terrible.

Our goal kicking routines are all over the place.

Been one of the real disappointments of this year seeing poor kicking routines go unchanged week to week when obviously technically terrible.

I look forward to Mason Wood becoming a team player and ditching his beautiful routine

Sounds somewhat like pagans paddock?

Petrie's Plaza.

His goal kicking worries me more than his ability to find the ball.

This is the main issue. His marking is still really strong and he roams and collects ground level balls pretty well.

It's actually the simplest part of his game that has almost completely failed this year. Kick the simple ones Drewie!

I remember an interview with Drew last year, where he said that taking this side deep into September was his biggest goal for the remainder of his career. Now is as good a time as any to show that he can be a big game player after all.

This is the main issue. His marking is still really strong and he roams and collects ground level balls pretty well.

It's actually the simplest part of his game that has almost completely failed this year. Kick the simple ones Drewie!

If he gets early opportunities on Saturday night, he must convert. That will set the tone for the rest of the evening. If he doesn't, a lean night awaits him, and the danger is this spreads to the rest of the side. We have to take our opportunities in the finals footy. Especially playing on a less familiar ground, I'd imagine plenty of shots might end up being from the pockets.

If he gets early opportunities on Saturday night, he must convert. That will set the tone for the rest of the evening. If he doesn't, a lean night awaits him, and the danger is this spreads to the rest of the side. We have to take our opportunities in the finals footy. Especially playing on a less familiar ground, I'd imagine plenty of shots might end up being from the pockets.

If he marks 30m out in the corridor and immediately looks to the side and shapes up to give a handball - be afraid.

Very afraid.

I would like to see Petrie play CHF and have Brown out of the square to exploit their lack of height. With Petrie further up the ground he can become more involved and he's generally a pretty good field kick. I would also like to see Black continue to do the same thing leaving Brown, LT and Sugar close to goal. All three are good one on one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

11 goals against clubs higher on the ladder than us and 5 of those were against hawthorn, doesn't fill me with confidence. has to get out of the blocks fast, so we can hopefully kill it as a contest. but alas that is not way unfortunately.

too hard? or too far? if he's physically trying to kick it to far, there is the problem, it's all in the timing, big believer in kicking with the same action and intensity regardless to whether it's 10 mtrs out or 40
That's exactly his problem. You should be able to keep your same action kicking from about 60% through to around 90% power. This is ideal. Any less or any more and your technique will change for the worse. I think he tries to kick close to his full capacity every time.

I would actually hope Drewy plays the decoy tonight if Hooker goes to him.
Hooker does exactly what Lachie does - and most on here (Reacher aside) know the importance of a key back, being able to zone off and intercept marks.

If we let Hooker do that, we'll get killed on the counter.

Hopefully Drewy leads Hooker out to the wings, and makes him a complete non-factor. I'd then back Black, Brown, LT and Turner to get the job done in one on ones.

Either that, or just kick 10 and win it for us.

He can stick clunk a mark, his general filed kicking is good and he chases harder then most with repetitive defensive efforts. His kicking for goal always makes me nervous and this is his biggest issue regardless of what angle or what distance he is kicking from, but anyway I wouldn't mind seeing him around the half forward position where he can get involved around the ground, get some assists and hopefully kick a few himself.

He's had a poor season although his record agienst the better teams looks favorable, however if he plays well when it counts and finals is where it counts, then that will go a long way to restoring his season.

Petrie has over 200 games to his name. He should be able to win or at least square the contests he faces.

I would actually hope Drewy plays the decoy tonight if Hooker goes to him.
Hooker does exactly what Lachie does - and most on here (Reacher aside) know the importance of a key back, being able to zone off and intercept marks.

If we let Hooker do that, we'll get killed on the counter.

Hopefully Drewy leads Hooker out to the wings, and makes him a complete non-factor. I'd then back Black, Brown, LT and Turner to get the job done in one on ones.

Either that, or just kick 10 and win it for us.

Really think if hurley plays forward- drewy should be leading up to the wings to take hooker out of our forward line.

Last time they had fletch and hurley helping hooker out.

There wasn't one already for big dish, so l thought l'll make one, but what a fantastic effort with eight scoring shots and a number of important marks and individual efforts by dish against one of the best defence's in the league. Feel free to merge with Player watch thread if necessary or whenever B Tron or other mods when ready.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #20: Drew Petrie - NM '01-'16 (324gms/428gls) - WCE '17 (8gms/16gls) - thx for everything Drew

Remove this Banner Ad

Back