Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Unfortunately that's a big if. I reckon Hamling would be ahead of Sammy now if one of the big 3 went down.
I agree, Jewels. I think Hamling could be one of the best swingmen in the business if he gets a chance. Can take a spot as KPD or KPF and is a premiership player with lots of experience.

Sam is just playing out time on this contract now as others have gone past him.

I don’t think he’s back in the side this year if our charmed run with injury continues - but recall last year we were playing Callum Mills as a key back. The winds of fortune can turn suddenly.

Unfortunately that's a big if. I reckon Hamling would be ahead of Sammy now if one of the big 3 went down.
Right now yes, in a few weeks might be different. Reid was the best contested mark in our side and he wouldn't have lost that. Apologies to Heeney who on reflection has him covered now for contested marking. Don't think you can really call yourself a Reid apologist anymore though you seem to have lost all faith. And I can't argue with that really.

I wouldn't, was out all of last year and injured all this year. I'd just bank the salary money and use it elsewhere. We have other talls in the event we have injuries next year.

Not sure if serious. Given his injury history and lack of match fitness, I'd be looking at other options for a GF, and I'd imagine Horse would be a little gun shy if faced with that proposition given what happened in 2022.

Noone makes way for Sam imo. He'd only come in if there were injuries to our key talls, and likely only for Amartey / McDonald. McLean definitely wouldn't make way given they're at the opposite ends of the durability spectrum. I'm not sure how Buller is tracking, but he's another potential inclusion. We also have Parker who could come into consideration if a tall went down. He can play tall in the forward line, so if we were to lose one of our key talls (Amartey / Mcdonald), we may look to replace them with Parker as he can take a mark, but can also provide defensive pressure. Ladhams would be the replacement for McLean you'd think.
GoTheSwannies - I’m always serious 😛. Nah, hope Sam gets healthy for his sake but fear the game may have passed him sadly.

Right now yes, in a few weeks might be different. Reid was the best contested mark in our side and he wouldn't have lost that. Apologies to Heeney who on reflection has him covered now for contested marking. Don't think you can really call yourself a Reid apologist anymore though you seem to have lost all faith. And I can't argue with that really.
Unfortunately Banyo I have 😞

I agree, Jewels. I think Hamling could be one of the best swingmen in the business if he gets a chance. Can take a spot as KPD or KPF and is a premiership player with lots of experience.

Sam is just playing out time on this contract now as others have gone past him.

I mean, Reid is also a versatile, well experienced premiership player....

Haven’t loss faith

Still chasing that outlet mark from defensive 50 and the mobility he had as 2 ruck

McLean showed on the weekend he is most dangerous deep forward

Logan and Hayward have been pretty handy at getting up the field to provide outlets fwiw

Unfortunately Banyo I have 😞

Fair enough, I'm a glass half empty person usually but for whatever reason with Reid I hold out some hope. What I do know is that you'd happily restore the faith if it eventuated and he contributed so I have faith in you coming back on board :)

I do get it though, I'm not willing to trust the side turning up going into a Grand Final but i'd love to be proven very wrong.

If (and it's the world's biggest if) Reid can stay fit he would be a HUGE inclusion for our side.

I think we are forgetting just how good his form was in 2022 and he was close to best on against Collingwood in the first half of that prelim (I don't think it was a coincidence we fell to pieces when he went off).

His agile, a great second ruck, a great contested mark (that has improved with time) and a nightmare matchup for the opposition.

Now who makes way.... Jeez that's the hard discussion (Maybe McLean... But only if Reid is fit and in form).

Goodes would be a good inclusion if he hits his 2006 form.

Reid hasn't played for almost 2 years , this If is the biggest if of all time. Why would they be trying to make way for him.

He is only playing if we get completely smashed by injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing to remember about Reid is he has historically taken a long time to get back into form after a long lay off, and then you take into account he has gone down with injury regularly.

2022 was shaping up to be his unicorn season, and that ended with injury at the most opportune time.

I just don't see it happening unless we're decimated with injuries, and even then we'd be taking a risk.

Comparing Reid's 2022 form to McLean's 2023 form. Noting, McLean's 2024 stats have dipped from his 2023 form.

View attachment 2031111

As we all know stats don’t tell the whole story and are really just utilised for those who can’t use their own judgement or memory. Do the stats tell you what happened with Reid’s pressure acts as a result ?

He was easily one of our most important players in 2022.

Means nothing now of course but to try and diminish Reid 2022 with comparison stats is a bit of a nonsense.

As we all know stats don’t tell the whole story and are really just utilised for those who can’t use their own judgement or memory. Do the stats tell you what happened with Reid’s pressure acts as a result ?

He was easily one of our most important players in 2022.

Means nothing now of course but to try and diminish Reid 2022 with comparison stats is a bit of a nonsense.
I'm not doubting how important Reid was in 22, he was one of the key drivers of us making a late run and making the 2022 GF.

The reason why I brought stats into it, is its a tangible comparison between the two players for those suggesting Reid could possibly take McLean's place in the side. If their numbers are comparable, and Reid has the injury issues he's had throughout his whole career, I know which option I'm taking.

Reid will have to come in and play some weeks in the VFL before he would even be considered as an injury replacement. However if he passes that and any other tests put before him then I think he would be selected ahead of Hamling for a forward half role and probably ahead of Francis too. Premature to consider that because he hasn't even returned to the VFL yet. I can't see Reid displacing anyone in the best 22.

GoTheSwannies Buller is not a consideration. He's gone for the season after surgery on a lumbar disc and has been placed on the inactive list and replaced by new recruit Tom Hanily.

Would have to play at least 4-5 solid games in the VFL to be considered even as a injury replacement. Like it's been mentioned he is slow to come back from injury and has missed a heap of football.
Another thing we might have forgotten is his goal kicking yips. Logan also seems to be playing that swingman / second ruck already. Both Amartey and McLean can ruck as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back