2004 Draft Revisited

Which "Blunder" is greater?

• Roughead before Griffen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither, All the Players Will be Stars

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it is simple, for someone as big as Franklin he does not do nearly enough in contested situations. The stats don't lie in this case.
But what you fail to listen to, and it's been pointed out constantly....is that he's just finished his second year of AFL.
What he has shown in his short time in the league has been exceptional.
Surely you can now see this?

And getting back to this constant argument you keep putting up about Franklin being compared to Tambling....have you really not grasped it yet?
Richmond passed on Franklin, and picked up Tambling. It's only logical that people will continue to say "you could've had blah blah blah, he has already done blah blah blah...the guy you got has done nothing".
Like I pointed out before in this thread it's Fiora/Pavlich(not saying Buddy is as good as Pav) all over again. The two will continue to be brought up in discussion thru the ages.

But what you fail to listen to, and it's been pointed out constantly....is that he's just finished his second year of AFL.
What he has shown in his short time in the league has been exceptional.
Surely you can now see this?

And getting back to this constant argument you keep putting up about Franklin being compared to Tambling....have you really not grasped it yet?
Richmond passed on Franklin, and picked up Tambling. It's only logical that people will continue to say "you could've had blah blah blah, he has already done blah blah blah...the guy you got has done nothing".
Like I pointed out before in this thread it's Fiora/Pavlich(not saying Buddy is as good as Pav) all over again. The two will continue to be brought up in discussion thru the ages.

No it's not logical. It's only logical if you're a hawks supporter who believes all their players are superstars. Not everyone believes this. Franklin has kicked bags of 6 against Carlton and Richmond and now he's a media darling. :confused: Firstly both defences are rubbish and secondly, I'd like to see some consistentcy with Franklin. IMO Franklin is better but its not this massive gap hawks fans say it is, that it was a mistake to pick Tambling.:rolleyes:

No it's not logical. It's only logical if you're a hawks supporter who believes all their players are superstars. Not everyone believes this. Franklin has kicked bags of 6 against Carlton and Richmond and now he's a media darling. :confused: Firstly both defences are rubbish and secondly, I'd like to see some consistentcy with Franklin. IMO Franklin is better but its not this massive gap hawks fans say it is, that it was a mistake to pick Tambling.:rolleyes:

Really, whatever way you look at it, Terry's drafting of Tambling ahead of Franklin was a complete and utter disaster. I admire the effort of some pretty deteremined Tiges fans to try to divert attention away from this obvious fact. Do you seriously think any Tiges fans want Tamlbing ahead of Franklin. In fact do you think any other team in the comp would want Tambling ahead of Franklin? What a drafting gaff. This is going to haunt Tiges fans for a long long long time. Terry's legacy. :)

I'm about to give up.
Where in that bolded type did I mention Franklin?????

Re-read the whole post and maybe you will understand my point.

Yeah it is simple, for someone as big as Franklin he does not do nearly enough in contested situations. The stats don't lie in this case.

Big as in height, he's doing more than enough, just about avg the same or more in contested situations than all other young kpp, also getting most of his ball in the forward 50 and not having to search the wings and up the field to get the easy ball to inflate his stats.

he's kicking more goals and having impacts on matches, which is really the aim of a forward.

If you don't kick goals you're not doing your job. Franklin is doing it and doing it well.

Lets get right down to the nitty gritty of it. Hawks fans are right when they say Franklin has performed well, while Tigers fans are of the opinion the gap between Tambling and Franklin is not as great as some will have you believe.

It is the same reason I put up the option regarding Griffen and Roughead is to make the same point as was made earlier. Griffen has performed better than Roughead and yet Hawks fans are still happy to have him on their list. The supporters of Hawthorn and Richmond are both happy to have the players they selected.

The Carlton fans that keep on saying that Tambling was a mistake would not want any of their recent top draft picks to perform below those chosen after them. After all you would want to hope you get your NUmber 1 picks right when you have 2 in a row. But we can save that for another poll later in 07

Lets get right down to the nitty gritty of it. Hawks fans are right when they say Franklin has performed well, while Tigers fans are of the opinion the gap between Tambling and Franklin is not as great as some will have you believe.

It is the same reason I put up the option regarding Griffen and Roughead is to make the same point as was made earlier. Griffen has performed better than Roughead and yet Hawks fans are still happy to have him on their list. The supporters of Hawthorn and Richmond are both happy to have the players they selected.

The Carlton fans that keep on saying that Tambling was a mistake would not want any of their recent top draft picks to perform below those chosen after them. After all you would want to hope you get your NUmber 1 picks right when you have 2 in a row. But we can save that for another poll later in 07

Those are fighting words Realistic, we're all shaking in our boots.

I might have to start another poll. What were Nathan Brown and Kane Johnson on when they said that 07 would be a failure if they didn't make finals. Hang on, I know, whatever Polak gave them :thumbsu:

Quite happy with Tambling and anyone who's seen him train or saw him play pre-draft could not argue with Richmond's decision to take him at 4. I wish Franklin all the best, but that's pretty irrelevant to me really.

I'm happy that he's at Richmond, and I reckon he'll be really good for us. Anything super-special he does for us pre 2008 is a bonus - as it is for any club with a player not yet into their third year of footy.

Tambling is no Fiora and it's not like we lost him for nothing because he was rubbish (Simmonds for Fiora - maybe Freo was feeling charitable after the Fiora/ Pav thing).

Players like Luke Brennan, Livingston or Danny Roach on the other hand...... :p

Quite happy with Tambling and anyone who's seen him train or saw him play pre-draft could not argue with Richmond's decision to take him at 4....

Apart from Terry, the fact is that most were amazed by Terry's decision to draft Tambling ahead of Franklin at the time. After a few years of watching both players in action we know why. Franklin's 6 goal bag V Tiges just confirmed it. What a draft clanger. The Tiges had the chance of acquiring a talented KP forward, but now have had to draft Kent Kingsley instead. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't have the benefit of hindsight yet.

Tambling will soon prove all of you wrong and show you why he is one of the most talented players around.

You are kidding aren't you. He's kicked a goal in a NAB Cup gain and Richmond fans tell us he trains well. When he performs week in week out for at least a season people may give a stuff about him, but until that happens, you and Realistic Tiger are flogging a dead horse.

You are kidding aren't you. He's kicked a goal in a NAB Cup gain and Richmond fans tell us he trains well. When he performs week in week out for at least a season people may give a stuff about him, but until that happens, you and Realistic Tiger are flogging a dead horse.
Show us where Franklin has performed week in and week out for a season. He has had no more than 6 good games and the rest have been him showing a glimpse here and there. Maybe it is all those preaching about Franklin being a star now that are flogging something and it ain't a dead horse.

Show us where Franklin has performed week in and week out for a season. He has had no more than 6 good games and the rest have been him showing a glimpse here and there. Maybe it is all those preaching about Franklin being a star now that are flogging something and it ain't a dead horse.

Which would be 6 more than your darling Richard has played. He has done nothing in a fair dinkum game and until he has he will be judged on that. Franklin has shown far more and is an incredible talent, im sure it hurts but often the truth does.

:D haha great call!

Melbdave why are you so certain that a number 4 pick going into his first full pre season doesn't have potential?

It is not logical, it's just stupid.

Bling has tonnes of talent. He will show more of it next season and if he isn't consistent then by 2008 he is a high chance to become one of our best players easily.

He has tonnes of talent, to doubt that is unbelievable and shocking to say the least. It's like saying Leuenburger has little talent (another #4 pick) if he doesn't play great footy within the next 2 seasons and gets injured.

:D haha great call!

Melbdave why are you so certain that a number 4 pick going into his first full pre season doesn't have potential?

It is not logical, it's just stupid.

Bling has tonnes of talent. He will show more of it next season and if he isn't consistent then by 2008 he is a high chance to become one of our best players easily.

He has tonnes of talent, to doubt that is unbelievable and shocking to say the least. It's like saying Leuenburger has little talent (another #4 pick) if he doesn't play great footy within the next 2 seasons and gets injured.

Find where i have said he has no potential. What i have consistantly said is that he has shown very very little at senior level in Premiership Games unlike Franklin who has already shown himself capable of being a matchwinner. Don't forget Franklin has also had ankle injuries during the last 2 years or does that fact shoot another hole in your argument.

I don't know why it is unbelievable or shocking to doubt an number 4 pick who has shown very little!

It's nothing like saying Leunburger has little talent, he has already shown in senior WAFL games the abilty he has playing against men, not boys.

He has done nothing in a fair dinkum game ...

23 disposals (including 19 kicks!) when Richmond beat Geelong for the first time there since 1990, or 19 possies against WCE... both big games where he didn't do "nothing".

Franklin should become a fantastic player but I believe the gap between them so far is a lot closer than people believe.

23 disposals (including 19 kicks!) when Richmond beat Geelong for the first time there since 1990, or 19 possies against WCE... both big games where he didn't do "nothing".

Franklin should become a fantastic player but I believe the gap between them so far is a lot closer than people believe.

Whoo Hooo, 19 kicks in todays footy, he's the second coming. But it gets better, it was against Geelong!!! How did you go against WCE by the way?

Which would be 6 more than your darling Richard has played. He has done nothing in a fair dinkum game and until he has he will be judged on that. Franklin has shown far more and is an incredible talent, im sure it hurts but often the truth does.
IN his 2 standout games the 6 goal games against the Tigers and Blues how did he get those goals. Was it from winning the ball in marking situations or was it from hanging out the back of packs and getting the ball that spilled over the back. While it may be get goals it does not give you the title of a game winner. In reality it gives a guy near 2m tall and 100kg the title of a ****************.

Remove this Banner Ad

2004 Draft Revisited

Back