2005 Draft Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

Gilly1972 said:
Also are there two Mills in the draft? I was under the impression Mills was a KPP - tall defender

Yes there is Wayde Mills KP from Queensland 196 88 as you mentioned and the other one is Brennen Mills from Claremont 179 75 midfielder who did his knee at the Under 18 Champs in 2004 but made a successful return mid year and is still a chance to get drafted or at least rookied.

I'm talking about Full time midfielders.

Ellis- What i know he play on a back flank a huge majority of each game
Hurn- He plays half back flan/back pocet and goes midfield at times but more his an attacking backmen that pushes up the ground he is'nt a pure midfielder.
Thomas- He is a forward pocket/half back he rarely goes midfield.
Nicholls- He usually plays on a forward flank/back flank he goes midfield alot but more forward/back.

Ragingbull said:
Yes there is Wayde Mills KP from Queensland 196 88 as you mentioned and the other one is Brennen Mills from Claremont 179 75 midfielder who did his knee at the Under 18 Champs in 2004 but made a successful return mid year and is still a chance to get drafted or at least rookied.

Broke his leg... and then re injuired in his first game back early in '05, before missing another 12 or so weeks.

Very good chance of being drafted...

Ysaye said:
I reckon it depends what you want/need in your "midfield". If your club is:

(1) getting killed at the stoppages:
1. Murphy
2. Swallow
3. Jones

(2) lacks consistency, good skills across the flanks or wings:
1. Hurn
2. Ellis
3. Drum

(3) is slow and boring and you need flair and X-factor around the ground:
1. Oakley-Nicholls
2. Thomas
3. Scott Pendlebury

(4) Really need one of the top two players in one (or more) of the above areas to improve your side but because of your draft position can't get them and need to gamble on an "unknown" quality:
1. Muston
2. Varcoe

Haven't seen a post this good about midfielders and breaking them into categories, good job mate!

ryan2000 said:
Class, quick, good kick and allround solid skills...............nope, nuthin special there! :confused:

mate if your club didnt have the first pick in the draft you wouldnt care about murphy! You dont even know how good he will be or how good he actually is now! Your just assuming he will be a superstar because carlton will more than likely select him.

Don't take your anger out on me because your posts are dumb!

Regardless of the fact that i have watched Murphy numerous times this year, as i have most of the TAC Cup teams, that wasn't the reason for my post.
The reason for my post was that you said that he had good skills, good pace, good kick etc, etc, etc.............and then said he was nuthin special! Doesn't really make sense now does it!

Besides, you don't know crap about me!

ryan2000 said:
Don't take your anger out on me because your posts are dumb!

Regardless of the fact that i have watched Murphy numerous times this year, as i have most of the TAC Cup teams, that wasn't the reason for my post.
The reason for my post was that you said that he had good skills, good pace, good kick etc, etc, etc.............and then said he was nuthin special! Doesn't really make sense now does it!

Besides, you don't know crap about me!

well know my boy, i know something about everything and everything about something

Ragingbull said:
'Inside ability and willingness to carry the ball' It's all well and good doing it at TAC level but could he do it at AFL level?? i have my doubts. He will be a very capable BP or HBF in the AFL imo similar to a Nathan Brown of Melbourne or Troy Makepeace of North. Yes he is a excellent overhead mark for his size but when it comes to going body on body against a Mark Ricciuto or Chris Judd in the midfield battles he will get pushed to the side too easily. Will be more suited to playing on a man in defence and using his great defensive skills where he will face players of similar size Miline, Garry Ablett Jnr, Davey etc..

I see your point. I'm sure he'll make an impact in a few years time when adds a few kgs.

demondavey said:
well know my boy, i know something about everything and everything about something

Well NOW..............................Not Know? Big Difference.

KNOW, V, Pronunciation Key - To possess knowledge, understanding, or information........................or in your case, none of the above!

There's something you didn't KNOW!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ragingbull said:
'Inside ability and willingness to carry the ball' It's all well and good doing it at TAC level but could he do it at AFL level?? i have my doubts. He will be a very capable BP or HBF in the AFL imo similar to a Nathan Brown of Melbourne or Troy Makepeace of North. Yes he is a excellent overhead mark for his size but when it comes to going body on body against a Mark Ricciuto or Chris Judd in the midfield battles he will get pushed to the side too easily. Will be more suited to playing on a man in defence and using his great defensive skills where he will face players of similar size Miline, Garry Ablett Jnr, Davey etc..
I see what you're saying, and I understand that that may prove to be true.

However, I don't see him as having a particularly tiny frame that would prevent him from putting on 10kgs or so. He's got skinny legs too, which always means that there's room for growth - I've yet to see somebody who can't put weight on their legs.

Slim shoulders are usually the bigger indicator of a problem putting on weight in the future, and Douglas' aren't noticeably small, as I said.

Ben Cousins, as an example, is about the same height as Douglas and weighs about 9 kgs more. Sure he may not ever match it with Judd or Ricciuto, but few players do. I don't think Marc Murphy will ever match it with Judd or Ricciuto either...

Not on how they are today but with 50 games under there bel playing AFL:
1. Beau Muston- If he recovers fully from his knee injury
2. Marc Murphy- Allround solid player but not the pace, flair and excitment of Muston
3. Nathan Jones- Very good at stopages, clever hands
4. Andrew Swallow- Alot like Muston but with a dodgier kick, having said that more often than not his kicks do hit the target.
5. Darren Pfieffer, Travis Varcoe- both SA boys that i expect will be playing for the crows next year

Remove this Banner Ad

2005 Draft Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back