2006 SA 1st XVIII teams to beat

Remove this Banner Ad

tom722

Debutant
Aug 29, 2005
Other Teams
Sturt
With the 2005 school footy season drawing to a close, we say goodbye to the yr 12s. This leaves us with a brand new squad featuring brand new players and unfortunately, a grueling pre-season. We all love to talk up our own schools but i am interested to know who you guys think the 2006 school boys team to beat will be...

It obviously has to be SHC again. Alot of the team this year were year 11's and this included pretty much the whole spine. They should again go undefeated next year but just quietly, St Micks will be giving them a real hot crack. They have had mnay players playing together for a few years now and they are set to make a big impact on the competition.

From the looks of things at the close of the 2005 season.

Sacred Heart will again be strong, although a fair few of the senior players will be leaving their midfield. Because of this their midfield looks like it wont be anywhere near as strong as this year. Although as Neptune stated their spine will have a fair bit of experience. Key players to watch: Day, Jack Fosdike, O'Grady

Rostrevor Probably have an up and down season again this year. With the likes of Millar as senior players who are able to turn it on they should have mixed results. Once again, not many year 11s in this year side so will lack experience next season. Players to watch: Millar

PAC Will be part of the three big teams next year (PAC, Saints, SHC). Midfield will be there strength as they have many talents in this area (Holmes, Byers, Paynter). Bit like RC this year in that their back and forward 6 will be a bit dodgy. 4 new players on scholarships next year will boost their ranks but most likely they will be in younger years and wont be dominant to start with at 1st 18 level. May will have to be dominant if they are to have any potent attack. Players to watch: Holmes, May, Paynter, Byers

St Michaels Decided to do St Mics because Neptune seemed to rate them. Unfortunately i share the oppopsite opinion yet again. Their group of year 12s will have a serious lack of talent next year. They will be a 20 goal win side at least. Players to watch: White

Brighton High The smokeys of the 2006 season. With the likes of Gibbs, Sellar and Austin what more needs to be said. They will go a long way in knockout ala Brighton this year.

Pembroke With a strong bunch of year 11s next Pempbroke will be more competitive than this year. Unfortunately they will struggle in key position department and therefore wont be able to match it with the top sides. May cause some upsets. Players to watch: Starke

St Peters One of the teams to beat in 2006. St Peters midfield and will provide great run all game with a huge amount of depth able to rotate on and off the ball. Back 6 will be very solid once again this season. Lots of talent coming through into year 12 as well as some new scholarship boys. As tom722 said previously, the current year 11 side drew with sacret heart in year 10 (dont say it was because we didnt have Day, because we have picked up Christie), and this year 10s beat sacret heart in their second encounter. Im picking St Peters as the dominant team in 06 based on the fact that their year 12 yeargriup will outclass the other schools. Players to watch: all their year 12 midfield + Jake Harry

straylan said:
From the looks of things at the close of the 2005 season.

Sacred Heart will again be strong, although a fair few of the senior players will be leaving their midfield. Because of this their midfield looks like it wont be anywhere near as strong as this year. Although as Neptune stated their spine will have a fair bit of experience. Key players to watch: Day, Jack Fosdike, O'Grady

Rostrevor Probably have an up and down season again this year. With the likes of Millar as senior players who are able to turn it on they should have mixed results. Once again, not many year 11s in this year side so will lack experience next season. Players to watch: Millar

PAC Will be part of the three big teams next year (PAC, Saints, SHC). Midfield will be there strength as they have many talents in this area (Holmes, Byers, Paynter). Bit like RC this year in that their back and forward 6 will be a bit dodgy. 4 new players on scholarships next year will boost their ranks but most likely they will be in younger years and wont be dominant to start with at 1st 18 level. May will have to be dominant if they are to have any potent attack. Players to watch: Holmes, May, Paynter, Byers

St Michaels Decided to do St Mics because Neptune seemed to rate them. Unfortunately i share the oppopsite opinion yet again. Their group of year 12s will have a serious lack of talent next year. They will be a 20 goal win side at least. Players to watch: White

Brighton High The smokeys of the 2006 season. With the likes of Gibbs, Sellar and Austin what more needs to be said. They will go a long way in knockout ala Brighton this year.

Pembroke With a strong bunch of year 11s next Pempbroke will be more competitive than this year. Unfortunately they will struggle in key position department and therefore wont be able to match it with the top sides. May cause some upsets. Players to watch: Starke

St Peters One of the teams to beat in 2006. St Peters midfield and will provide great run all game with a huge amount of depth able to rotate on and off the ball. Back 6 will be very solid once again this season. Lots of talent coming through into year 12 as well as some new scholarship boys. As tom722 said previously, the current year 11 side drew with sacret heart in year 10 (dont say it was because we didnt have Day, because we have picked up Christie), and this year 10s beat sacret heart in their second encounter. Im picking St Peters as the dominant team in 06 based on the fact that their year 12 yeargriup will outclass the other schools. Players to watch: all their year 12 midfield + Jake Harry

Hmmmm rate your team much. Saints being THE dominant side??? Yes you did mention SHC but I dont think what was written is fact. Saints are a good side and will be a competitive side but still SHC will be the dominant side. I played in the saints hearts year 10 upset, and from what i saw from the saints 10's, no real dominant players that can step up and play consistantly well in a firsts comp. I also reckon you've got to give Jace Power a mention, he is a strong backman and will be the anchor of SHC's backlines. I just thought I'd add my two cents, although they dont hold much weight on here.

Restecp

shc will be as good if not better than this year... spine goes fb:mayfield
chb: power r: button chf: day ff: o'grady...... throw in u/16 state rep mcnamara, adam hartletts supreme skilled brother, u/16 squad member and fully fit matt fosdike.... plus new yr 11 boarders... as well as the likes of jack fos, tom stevenson, mitch ryan and the likes.... its scary how good these guys could be

irwin swinny also may decide to do yr 12 over 2 years and be available for the 1st 18 team in 2006, he'll replace day or o'grady and send them to a pocket of flank and dominate the whole comp all year round, solid as a rock and never been injured because hes just so strong, watch out every other college football team in SA because the swinn train is coming!!

straylan said:

I have to agree with king neptune, they had nearly a whole side of year 11s in that knock out grand final apparently and pushed sacred heart, i dont know how true it is im only going by what i was told. But if its true i expect them to be on of the big 3 next year. Is Steve Summerton still at the scholl next year or is he in yr 12 currently does anyone know

What year 10s from this year do u belive will play first 18s in 2006....I would particualyt like to know your thoughts figjam #51

FIGJAM#51 said:
...Saints are a good side and will be a competitive side but still SHC will be the dominant side. I played in the saints hearts year 10 upset, and from what i saw from the saints 10's, no real dominant players that can step up and play consistantly well in a firsts comp...

Restecp

I dont think that is a valid call. Sts had 7 yr 11s that played 100% of games ( - injuries) and they all played in significant positions showing that they could step up to play decent 1st XVIII footy. Chf, Chb, Rover, Two Wings, Two Hff. They also had Two others playing over 75%. It should also be said that Sts are happy they do not have any stars. This way, we do not have to worry about any of our players playing for themselves. Should be an interesting year with a lot of quality teams. I think St Mic. are the dark horse after impressive k/o

sean rice may also be a prime 2 year 12 player because of his ruptured spleen injury late in season 2005, he is keen to dominate in the #1 guernsey with 4 stripes emblazed across it. look out 2006, here comes the rice-train! c-fish peace out

summerton is in yr 12 this year, so he wont play next year. pac will lack depth i believe and will rely on their stars such as holmes, byers, paynter, papps, may.
saints will be good, but dont think they will be as good as shc, like neptune said, shc will probably be better next year than they were this year.
st.michaels will be serious contenders, lot of young blokes played this year and obviously had a great running game and also played very well as a team, which almost won them the knockout final against and overrated shc. and as for brighton, although they will have 3 ais players, i head that they have no one apart from that and everyone knows that you cant rely on 3 players to win championships.

colin custard said:
summerton is in yr 12 this year, so he wont play next year. pac will lack depth i believe and will rely on their stars such as holmes, byers, paynter, papps, may.
saints will be good, but dont think they will be as good as shc, like neptune said, shc will probably be better next year than they were this year.
st.michaels will be serious contenders, lot of young blokes played this year and obviously had a great running game and also played very well as a team, which almost won them the knockout final against and overrated shc. and as for brighton, although they will have 3 ais players, i head that they have no one apart from that and everyone knows that you cant rely on 3 players to win championships.

Overrated??? Mate they just knocked off arguably the best school football team in Victoria. This means unless there is some other school in WA or somehting that is awesome, SHC are the best school football team in the WORLD. Feel free to tear me to shreads about this post.

straylan said:

Yes totally agree with you here mate. They have some very talented yr 11 lads and from what i hear from a source extremely close to this team, next year they will be more competitive. Not saying they will beat the more decorated teams of the competition but they will prove a problem or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

straylan said:

I agree with this statement.... St Peters have far too much pace in the midfeild, with quick players like White, Botten, Whiting and Cristie, i think they will be the team to beat in 2006. With such a quick midfeild, they will run teams of their feat, and with players like Harry down back, and Shultz up forward, this is a team of 'nearly' stars.
But Sacred Heart will still be strong never the less, and are almost unbeatable on home turf, but 2006 should be a great footy year!

The Glass Lake said:
What year 10s from this year do u belive will play first 18s in 2006....I would particualyt like to know your thoughts figjam #51

For SHC:
Richard O'grady: Obviously seeing as he played well in this years team.

Tom McNammara: Will play. Tall kid with a good leap, strong hands and long accurate kick on both sides. Also has a bit of pace about him. Only thing stopping him playing this year is the fact that he was too slack to train with the 1sts, but he is getting better.

Matt Martin: Didn't play 10's but another big kid. A lot like McNammara but needs to get a bit of confidence to hit the packs.

Hamish Hartlett: Maybe a little small, but still all the skills are there. He is very well balanced and and is surprisingly strong, has great footy smarts. My guess is he'll play out of a pocket or off a flank.

Nick Ramsey: Will be up and down over the year, only due to size. He's a good little player who positions himself well to get the ball at stopages and in the run of play. Uses both sides of his body well and he has a sixth sense to know that he's being chased and slips out of reach. He will grow over the next 6 months though.

That, barring boarders who come are all that will play i reckon. There are a few other good players in the side but the amount of gun year 11's will prevent many more playing. There have been players I've seen playing for other schools but I don't know names and don't see them often enough to say any thing about them.

Cheers

FIGJAM#51 said:
For SHC:

Tom McNammara: Will play. Tall kid with a good leap, strong hands and long accurate kick on both sides. Also has a bit of pace about him. Only thing stopping him playing this year is the fact that he was too slack to train with the 1sts, but he is getting better.

Matt Martin: Didn't play 10's but another big kid. A lot like McNammara but needs to get a bit of confidence to hit the packs.

Hamish Hartlett: Maybe a little small, but still all the skills are there. He is very well balanced and and is surprisingly strong, has great footy smarts. My guess is he'll play out of a pocket or off a flank.

Nick Ramsey: Will be up and down over the year, only due to size. He's a good little player who positions himself well to get the ball at stopages and in the run of play. Uses both sides of his body well and he has a sixth sense to know that he's being chased and slips out of reach. He will grow over the next 6 months though.

That, barring boarders who come are all that will play i reckon. There are a few other good players in the side but the amount of gun year 11's will prevent many more playing. There have been players I've seen playing for other schools but I don't know names and don't see them often enough to say any thing about them.

Cheers

wat about fozdike? mayfield? day? they are yr 11's to watch?

FIGJAM#51 said:
For SHC:

Cheers

Taking into account that the SHC coach tends to pick about 10 year 11's in the squad each year, will you have a go at naming 10. Cheers. Agree with Hartlett. He is a superstar and will fit into the team nicely next year

wat about the other yr 10 macca??? hartlett is a superstar. he single handedly controlled the forward line in intercol.... no one else looked like kicking goals with him in the area

when you say the other macca, do you mean russell macinerny? if thats who, i reckon he will play a few games next year in the firsts. bloody skillfull and dances out of packs without having a finger laid on him

The Glass Lake said:
what do u belive the chances are of the captain of the 10As of playinf first 18 football next year...aled loy i think his name is

Hmmm doubt it. He did not stand out this year in the 10's. He also lacks consistancy with his skills. I also believe that he should not have been selected as the captain, and he agrees which is why he spoke to the coach about adding Hartlett and Ramsey to the captaincy. At least he knows where he stands.

Cheers

FIGJAM#51 said:
Hmmm doubt it. He did not stand out this year in the 10's. He also lacks consistancy with his skills. I also believe that he should not have been selected as the captain, and he agrees which is why he spoke to the coach about adding Hartlett and Ramsey to the captaincy. At least he knows where he stands.

Cheers

Aled loy showed promise in the big game!!
its a long time to next year and a long summer of training can see anyone make the grade if they work hard enough.
wat about burns for a roughie???
:D

on the grape vine said:
Aled loy showed promise in the big game!!
its a long time to next year and a long summer of training can see anyone make the grade if they work hard enough.
wat about burns for a roughie???
:D

Hmm good point bout the work. Burns could certainly be in as a roughie, especialy with a solid backman in cilento leaving. Burns is a great backman who has been given the nickname B-Train because of the way he backs himself and attacks the ball. He a personal favourite of mine because he doesnt try to do too much, jus what he has to then back onto his player. He is also leadership material for later in his school career because of his use of voice, the way he plays for the team and also they fact that he doesnt take ********** from any one, no matter how good or bad they are, if their ******** fartin around, hell let them know.

Cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

2006 SA 1st XVIII teams to beat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back