NCAA 2007/08 BCS Championship: Ohio State vs LSU

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: National Championship Game

but then a team like last season's boise wud miss cud miss out on a spot they earned.
when the spots r selected by people rather than a system, there will always be problems, which will still remain when u have to pick the at larges in my system

Agreed there will always be contention but Boise would have been ranked as a top 10 team by consensus. Sure there will always be disagreement. Easy way to fix it is for colleges serious about the National Championship to roll out a decent schedule and trust that their results will be good enough to be rated.

How can it really be a National Championship game when it is between the number 2 (LSU) and number 5 (OSU, 5 at best)team in the country?

Georgia, Kansas, USC and LSU are the best 4 teams in the nation.

USC should have played Georgia in the Rose Bowl, LSU play Kansas in the Fiesta Bowl, and the 2 winners play in the BCS title game.

How can it really be a National Championship game when it is between the number 2 (LSU) and number 5 (OSU, 5 at best)team in the country?

Georgia, Kansas, USC and LSU are the best 4 teams in the nation.

USC should have played Georgia in the Rose Bowl, LSU play Kansas in the Fiesta Bowl, and the 2 winners play in the BCS title game.

it's the NCAA, u expect them to have a proper system?

But your forgetting that the Rose Bowl is generally exclusive to the winners of the PAC 10 and Big 10 conferences. Its not like you choose the 3rd and 4th best teams and play off in Rose Bowl.

where did u get number 2 and 5 from? is that your own personal ranking? why are you limiting the Championship competitors to being from LSU, USC, Georgia and Kansas?, What about Oklahoma, Va Tech, WVU, tOSU, Mizzou (who beat Kansas) i agree with the "plus-one" format, but your idea of it seems strange to me

the great thing about the college football regular season is that every match is vital. Its just one reason for the grand status of college football competition. Those games to show what you've got. An 8-team playoff system will dilute its importance somewhat. Most conferences now have a playoff game to decide its champion. The stupid thing about some calls for playoffs are the inclusion of non-conference champs. And then, you have to remember the primary reason universities exist. Extra money is all well and good, but these are learning institutions and its competitors are amateur student athletes.

A plus-one is as far as it should go.

Go the SEC ;)

As usual, calls for a playoff arise from this game. Honestly, I think the best team won, but I would not be in the least bit surprised to see a modified playoff format instituted within five years. Too many people want it, and there is too much controversy surrounding the BCS. Make it a little fairer and more comprehensive and I think most people will be happy.

Yes, all in a favour of a fair playoff system, where we see the same 8, 12, or 16 teams year in and year out, say "aye"

"AYE"

thankyou, cheerio lads! Tally ho and all that...[/pompous english accent]

That may once have been the case, but with the way talent is being spread out much more thinly, I think we would see a pretty high diversity of teams in a playoff system. Of course, the traditional powers would still be more often represented than those upstarts like Boise St, but I think that we would definitely see more than the usual. I mean, just look at this year - Kansas in a big bowl game? Hawaii? BSU, Louisville and Wake Forest from last year?

Times are changing.

Yes, all in a favour of a fair playoff system, where we see the same 8, 12, or 16 teams year in and year out, say "aye"

"AYE"

thankyou, cheerio lads! Tally ho and all that...[/pompous english accent]
may have been the case once, but look at the fall in recent years of the Hurricanes and Huskers who've got 8 or 9 national championships between them over the last qtr of a century to see that other programs will step up.

but i just oppose the whole playoff thing. it means another 3 matches on top of an 11 or 12 game regular season for guys who have who have to give a great deal of attention to things other than football.......like getting shitfaced at frat parties, being able to bang any bird of their choice......oh and studying for a degree. They miss classes as it is.

And besides, if a 8-team playoff was in effect this season, at least 2 SEC teams and up to 3 big 12 teams would have taken part (a 2 team limit per conference will just lead to the same squabbles heard about bcs bowl games), so whats the point? and these conferences have their own playoff to determine a champion anyway.

a plus-one featuring 4 of the best conference champions is the way to go. rotate the semis amongst the big bowls and have the next best 4 conference champs in the other 2. it will drastically affect the status of the other 2 bowls in any year, but at least we'll get teams playing others at their standard unlike conference-tied bowl games in the current bcs arrangement.

Yeah, I know, I was being slightly facetious...:thumbsu:

But, I honestly don't think playoffs will change things all that much. The rich teams will always remain strong and come back year after year. Ok, there'll be the occasional bolter, ala Boise St and Marshall in the 90s, but it'll be few and far between

The competition is too EPL-like for mine. I can watch it, enjoy it, follow it, but I'll never love it like I do the NFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

NCAA 2007/08 BCS Championship: Ohio State vs LSU

Remove this Banner Ad

Back