NFL 2008 NFL Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

That $44 million in cap space has burned a hole in the pockets of the Buccaneers.

Stephen Holder of the St. Petersburg Times reports that the Bucs have reached an agreement with free-agent center Jeff Faine, previously of the Saints.

Per Holder, the deal makes Faine the highest-paid center in the game
:eek:

I'll believe it when I see it.

He's definately gone from the Jets but the Saints have a habit of not getting these deals done.

Browns acquired DL Corey Williams from the Packers in exchange for a second-round pick.

Green Bay gets the No. 56 pick overall. Williams, 27, has been a gap-shooter in the Packers' scheme, but at 6'4/315, has enough size to take on blockers. He'll get a long-term deal from Cleveland that's likely close to the $50 million pact Tommy Kelly signed with Oakland. The Browns' defensive line adds a lot of talent with the move, but are left without a first- or second-round pick in April. The Packers, who still have terrific interior depth, made out very well.

According to John Clayton of ESPN, the Jets are sending a third and fifth-round draft pick to the Carolina Panthers for defensive tackle Kris Jenkins.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The Saints might be interested in trading a draft choice for a defensive tackle, possibly for Jacksonville's Marcus Stroud, who could replace Young.

Stroud missed seven games last season, four because of a suspension for violating the league's steroid policy. A seven-year veteran, he had three sacks and 22 total tackles in nine games last season.

Detroit defensive tackle Shaun Rogers and the Jets' Dewayne Robertson are linemen who are also being dangled to teams in trades.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Citing a source, the Chicago Sun Times says free agent Lance Briggs has been linked to the Bucs, Browns, and Broncos.

Denver is called the "dark horse" to land Briggs, who's generated minimal interest with the first two hours of free agency. The 49ers are expected to be out of the running after signing Dontarrious Thomas early Friday.

------------------------------------------------------------

Kind of a little shocker with the clock ticking towards free agency, but here's an interesting tidbit from Chris Mortensen -- the Saints made a trade offer to the Giants for happy-go-lucky complete team player Jeremy Shockey.

Now let's take all of this with a grain of salt -- standard Mortensenian operating procedure -- but if true, it makes sense. The Saints' offense has lacked a truly dynamic tight end. Billy Miller has played well, but he and Eric Johnson haven't made a real impact on the offense, and both are unrestricted free agents. Paired with Marques Colston, the two could do wonders for the Saints' red-zone offense.

Beyond that, Sean Payton and Shockey are familiar with each other from Payton's days in New York, and Shockey has stated on occasion that Payton was the driving force behind his early development. Re-joining Payton in a change of scenery might make dude a little cheerier. He'll also be free from the most cancerous relationship he has in New York, with Eli Manning.

Shockey won't be able to push around Drew Brees, the team's unquestioned leader and most respected player, like he did Manning, and Brees will get him the ball enough to keep him happy.

If Mortensen is on the ball with this report, that is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: Asante Is An Eagle
Written by Micah Warren
Friday, 29 February 2008

I spoke to a source close to the situation who told me that Asante Samuel is in. It?s done. Per the source, the cornerback and the Eagles have worked out a deal. Samuel is definitely one of the big-time names in free agency this year, and the Eagles were obviously intent on signing him even though this constitutes tampering. That said, everyone in the NFL tampers. It?s a fact. You see free agency start at 12:01 a.m. one day, and they have major deals done by 12:05 a.m. These things just don?t happen that quickly. "

are the jets trying to have no identity or quality players...

I must say I cant follow where they are headed... other than downwards

Vilma wants out, he doesn't fit the system at all. He is an UFA at the end of next season, why would they not trade him now whilst they can?

Downwards is a bit tough to say, seeing they look like making a few big FA acquisitions as well as Jenkins. Improving some of their glaring needs whilst still having some very good talent on the roster (Rhodes, Revis, Harris etc)

Vilma wants out, he doesn't fit the system at all. He is an UFA at the end of next season, why would they not trade him now whilst they can?

Downwards is a bit tough to say, seeing they look like making a few big FA acquisitions as well as Jenkins. Improving some of their glaring needs whilst still having some very good talent on the roster (Rhodes, Revis, Harris etc)

It doesn't add up at all. Take the opportunity to draft him in 2004. We all know the risks of the draft... some work out, some don't... He turns out to be a very good player... someone you can build your defense around...

then he supposedly doesn't fit a system... I wouldn't say 'the system' is hugely successful at this point. haha.

Congratulations New Orleans Saints - very tidy organisation going on there. Seem to do things quietly... but well in recent years. Big turnaround.

----------------------------------------------
Browns, QB Anderson unable to reach deal

I tell you what... full credit to the Cleveland Browns - even if a lot of luck may have been included...

They make the offer to Anderson... knowingly or unknowingly he turns it down. But they will get a 1st and 3rd round pick for a guy who was lucky to be around at the start of the season.

You trace this all the way back to draft day last year... passing on Quinn... trading away this years pick... etc etc. Worked out well for the team.

I say best scenario is team picks up Anderson... Browns start the Quinn era rather than messing about (ala Brees/Rivers)... use picks to build talent and move forward. So long as Quinn is on the roster there will always be clouds, I don't care how much Anderson took the world by storm.

Enjoy Vilma JD. :(:(

good luck to him if he was to go elsewhere, and does well.............but since his rookie year, under Mangini, and in the 3-4, he stinks......injuries not withstanding. he didnt make a 'play' in 2 seasons! gang greeen is now pinning its hopes on Harris! reports are a trade for an '09 draft pick tied to his performance in '08.....on the other hand, it might be exchanged for Jenkins at Carolina.

the other side of the argument is that if Mangini is asked to walk after another poor season then the decision to cut such players will be seen another in the long line of Jet ****ups. Many of the players Mangini inherited on D###### were already decent players or high picks who were intended to slot into the 4-3........he's had to rework the whole setup. D-Rob's not a NT, Ferguson was a big loss (even though he left prior to Mangini's arrival).

btw, any takers for Bryan Thomas? he's extremely versatile.......plays LB, DE and s h i t!

Woodson said:
Hmmm, like Neil O'Donnell??? :p how much was that splurge?? :D
3 interceptions! :eek: should have never taken him on after that! :p

Ted Bruschi and Pats have agreed to a multiyear contract. Personally thought he's past his best.

the weekly bridge game at the Patsie nursing home for LB's was too much of a carrot to turn down.

KC papers & SI report that CB Ty Law and LB Kendrell Bell to be released.
Surely Law and Nate Clements are a lesson to teams to tread carefully re paying Assante Samuels too much.

it's frightening to realise how many bad moves involve the Jets in some capacity.

Derek Anderson has signed with the Browns.

Browns apparantly are keen on Stallworth. I'd have thought they would have had enough of injury prone receivers but there you go. Their interested (ok it's late, I'm waffling).

Chris Redman re-signed with the Falcons too.

finally some vikings news on the free-agent front.

The Vikings have agreed to terms with Safety Madieu Williams from the Bengals and Fullback Thomas Tapeh from the Eagles. Williams will slot straight into the spot vacated by Dwight Smith (released and signed by the Lions) and Tapeh is seen as a replacement for the aging Tony Richardson (free-agent, not tendered).

Although Williams satisfies an immediate need for the Vikings at Safety, I'm still expecting them to take a Safety in the draft, as a future Darren Sharper replacement.

Tapeh's acquisition would appear to be the end for Richardson, which is a shame, as his blocking is one of the reasons the Vikings have had such a good running game in recent years. The problem for Richardson is that age and injuries are starting to catch up on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can you give Kelly 50 mill? Lol Davis.

Mitchell to Bills, they are also likely to get Stoud from the jaqs. God they are going to be a quality team.

Samuel to the eagles. nice work there phili

Also great work by Bill Parcells, really getting into it with the Phins, just signed Wilford, Starks, Torbor, Traded for Fergusion and Smiley.. all in 1 day.

Volek signs three-year deal to stay with Bolts

By Kevin Acee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

2:49 p.m. February 29, 2008

Billy Volek shopped around and decided to stay where he was comfortable and there was a chance to win it all.
“This is a great team,” Volek said Friday, minutes after signing a three-year deal to remain the Chargers' backup quarterback.

Volek had a chance for more money and more playing time with some of the other teams his agent spoke with. But neither Chicago, Minnesota, Oakland or Buffalo had what San Diego had.

“It's fun to go to work,” Volek said. “You can't say too much about that. When your teammates care about you, it's fun. I like working with Norv (Turner) and (quarterbacks coach) John Ramsdell. Philip (Rivers) is a great young quarterback, a great leader, and I like working with him.”

Volek spoke by phone from Fresno, where he and his young family make their offseason home. He said the proximity to Fresno also played a role in his decision.

Terms of the deal were not available.

----

woot great work Smith

Just saw on Sportscenter, the Samuel deal was 6 years 57mil.

Also verification that the Vilma deal is complete with the Saints.

Shaun Rogers gone to the Bengals for a 3rd and 5th rounder.

The Broncs couldn't deal Walker and Ian Gold and have thus released them. Wide receiver now becomes a big need, with Brandon Stokely currently the no.2 wideout! Please...

Gotta love these few days of free agency, deals going on left, right, and centre....

The Gibril Wilson deal is done.

Signed with Raiders on a 6 year $39m contract ($16m guaranteed)

Good signing for the Raiders.

On an ex-Raider, I can't believe the money Joey Porter got from the Jags (6, $30m with $10m guaranteed). He might turn out to be another (not quite) Randy Moss in a different system but that's paying decent money to find out.

On Randy, if he doesn't have a deal by Monday he could end up in Dallas. Now wouldn't that be fun? :D

Mitchell to Bills, they are also likely to get Stoud from the jaqs. God they are going to be a quality team.

I am praying we land Stroud, who I consider one of the Top 5 DTs in the league. I am drooling at the possibility of Stroud and McCargo in our interior.

Mitchell is a nice pick up, will probably play weakside in our scheme with Poz in the middle and Crowell on the strongside.

One of my offseason wishes was complete also, Larry Tripplett was cut!!! Yay!!

I am praying we land Stroud, who I consider one of the Top 5 DTs in the league. I am drooling at the possibility of Stroud and McCargo in our interior.

Mitchell is a nice pick up, will probably play weakside in our scheme with Poz in the middle and Crowell on the strongside.

One of my offseason wishes was complete also, Larry Tripplett was cut!!! Yay!!
You have got alot to look forward too mate

Gotta love these few days of free agency, deals going on left, right, and centre....

It's almost unbelievable the number of signings on day 1 of free-agency. you'd have to agree that the league tampering rules are a complete joke....

jets just about land faneca...........4yr deal @ $32m........$23m in the pocket. virtually a done deal.
will be an invaluable asset next to D'Brick on the left side of the line.

as mentioned, Vilma off to the Saints for an '09 4th rounder.

"The Jets were going one direction, and I was going a different direction," Vilma said Friday. "I'm just glad I'm getting back into a 4-3 defense. This is better for both sides."

and jenkins for a 3rd and 5th rounder to carolina. at 6'4":330-odd lbs, and with cred, he'll be the presence the jets sorely miss at NT

and im surprised about the Pouha re-signing.......Mosley was impressive with his opportunity..........D-Rob wouldnt be the happiest dude at the mo.

WR are another need to focus on.........

The Gibril Wilson deal is done.

Signed with Raiders on a 6 year $39m contract ($16m guaranteed)

Good signing for the Raiders.

On an ex-Raider, I can't believe the money Joey Porter got from the Jags (6, $30m with $10m guaranteed). He might turn out to be another (not quite) Randy Moss in a different system but that's paying decent money to find out.

On Randy, if he doesn't have a deal by Monday he could end up in Dallas. Now wouldn't that be fun? :D
Bit annoyed Reese didn't make more of an effort to keep Wilson with what can be considered a fairly weak LB corp.. But I guess we have Pierce and Wilkenson now so thats good... Just need to draft another youngun

The deal for Shaun Rogers is the Browns get him for Leigh Bodden and a 3rd round draft pick (2008).

I don't like the deal from the Browns perspective. Rogers can play no doubt, when he wants, and I do rate Bodden. Not one of the league's premier corners but he'll give you everything on the field. Has been hampered by injury too.

He's a good get for the Lions, the sort of player they need (attitude wise).

I'm sure they won't miss Rogers.

49ers agreed to terms with WR Isaac Bruce on a two-year contract, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter

That didn't take long.

I bet both parties would like nothing better than sticking it to Rams on this one. Good for Bruce, not so sure the 49ers. Sort of reminds me of the Joe Horn signing in Atlanta last year and I don't expect this one to turn out much different.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL 2008 NFL Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Back