NFL 2008 NFL Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Larry Fitzgerald sign your ****ing contract. His screwing around has cost us Faneca already for christs sake.
Sounds like he is a near sure thing to be a Cardinal next season but get it done already christ.

In other Cardnals news we have put first round tenders on Eric Green and Antonio SMith so its a sure thing we keep them guys.

From ROTOWORLD:

Alan Faneca's agent denies that his client as signed with the Jets.

"False report. It's a false report," agent Rick Smith said. ESPN's website reported earlier the two sides agreed to a four-year, $32 million contract. His agent told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette a decision will come Friday night. It could still be with the Jets, but the Rams and 49ers are in the mix.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

Hopefully waiting for hear from Grimm and the Whiz.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ace/index.html

According to a league source, the Dolphins have agreed to terms with free agent defensive end Calvin Pace.

The fifth-year pro is coming off his best season after recording 98 tackles, including 6 1/2 sacks. The financial terms haven't been disclosed but is believed to include over $20 million in guaranteed money.

Pace's signing leaves Joey Porter's status with the team in limbo after being the team's marquee signing a season ago.

Another loosing season coming up for Big Red unless they get to action really fu*king quickly.
Miss Finland better win today otherwise i'm going to be really bloody depressed.

That didn't take long.

I bet both parties would like nothing better than sticking it to Rams on this one. Good for Bruce, not so sure the 49ers. Sort of reminds me of the Joe Horn signing in Atlanta last year and I don't expect this one to turn out much different.

An aging Bruce instantly becomes the Niners best receiver.

St Louis sign Hawks kicker Josh Brown for $14m - making him the highest paid kicker in the league. Pretty annoyed we lost him but he got a great offer from the Seahawks and only gained a little bit extra, and possibly costing himself a chance at more success.

1. For those unaware Sven has compiled and is continually updating the free agency deals in post #1. thanks for that

2. Cowboys NT Jason ferguson traded to Miami for next years 6th rounder and a swap of this years sixth rounders. Didn't get much in return for Fergie but it was very likely he was going to be a cap casualty anyway, so better to get something than nothing. Win-win for both parties imo

3. So Cleveland now has no first, second or third round picks in next months draft? (1st-Dallas, 2nd-Corey Williams, 3rd-Shaun Rogers) ??

That's why it would've made more 'sense' to let Anderson get picked up by another team.

1. A team signing him would have to give Cleveland their 1st and 2nd picks.
2. CLE has Quinn (a first round QB) waiting in the wings.

However, it's a tough call to make because Anderson did very well. Still, if Anderson bombs suddenly they get nothing and Quinn takes over. If I was CLE i'd have let him go.

That's why it would've made more 'sense' to let Anderson get picked up by another team.

1. A team signing him would have to give Cleveland their 1st and 2nd picks.
2. CLE has Quinn (a first round QB) waiting in the wings.

However, it's a tough call to make because Anderson did very well. Still, if Anderson bombs suddenly they get nothing and Quinn takes over. If I was CLE i'd have let him go.

1st and 2nd picks would be very tempting but Anderson is the first Pro Bowl (decent) QB the Browns have had in years. Browns fans would revolt if they gave him away, and imagine the extra pressure on Quinn. A couple of bad games and fans would crucify him and the club.

So many teams that are crying out for a decent QB, think Browns would be crazy to give Anderson up. He may well be a one year wonder but I doubt it.

Rogers is a terrible signing for the browns, yes he's big and can be a beast but he lacks stamina. He'll be playing the one gap at cleveland taking on a couple of blockers at a time. He'll blow up after a couple of downs and be useless.

It might actually suit him marcuz as he'll need to cover less distance over the ground and simply rely on his strength. Physically I can't see why he can't be a very good NT, mentally I reckon he's a shocker.

Anyhow, some interesting news on Briggs & the Bears

For all the talk about the Bears low-balling their free agents, 24 hours into free agency it looked like they were right on the money.

Wide receiver Bernard Berrian visited Minnesota on Friday but has yet to sign a contract, an indication the Vikings were not outbidding the Bears. Berrian is scheduled to travel to Oakland today.

The market for three-time Pro Bowl linebacker Lance Briggs seems to have all but evaporated. Briggs has a big-money contract on the table from the Bears, and it looked late Friday night as if the New Orleans Saints could be the only team left to bid against them. :thumbsu:

It's believed Briggs has yet to schedule a visit. Sources close to the negotiations said reports he was headed to see the Tampa Bay Buccaneers weren't correct. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for the Bucs, with linebackers Cato June and Derrick Brooks in the fold, to throw top dollar at a third player ideally suited for the weak side.

Washington doesn't have the money to bid for Briggs, and San Francisco fell out of the running when it signed Dontarrious Thomas. Cleveland and the New York Jets are believed to be out of the hunt, leaving the Saints, who traded for Jonathan Vilma on Friday, as the only serious contender at this point. New Orleans, which will play Vilma in the middle, might have the money to retool its defense by adding Briggs on the weak side.

The Bears desperately want at least one of the players back. At this point, one source called it a 50/50 possibility that both could return, with the organization armed with $20 million in available cap room.

Berrian took a physical after arriving in Minneapolis in owner Zygi Wilf's private jet. The Vikings are hoping the only reason he will have to visit the Bay Area is for sightseeing. He's expected to meet with coaches in the morning. However, if Minnesota would have knocked him over with a contract offer, the deal would be done. That's how the NFC North rivals lured in safety Madieu Williams and fullback Thomas Tapeh on Friday.

Berrian is seeking $24.5 million over the first three years of a deal with $18 million guaranteed and an average of $8 million per year. The Bears offered $25 million over five seasons with $8 million to sign, a proposal agent Drew Rosenhaus never countered. If the Vikings don't come close, Berrian could head to the Raiders in an effort to drive up his price. Oakland has been spending big, landing safety Gibril Wilson for $39 million over six seasons a day after Tommy Kelly got a record deal for defensive tackles.

Briggs is in a peculiar position because some expected him to be the top free agent overall. Cornerback Asante Samuel got the biggest windfall, reportedly $57 million for six seasons from Philadelphia.

When the frenzy concludes by the end of the weekend, most of the big money already will be spent. The Bears have covered themselves by arranging a visit Tuesday with linebacker Demorrio Williams, who started in Kansas City on Friday and will be in Tampa on Monday. He has been a durable performer for the Atlanta Falcons, and the Bears liked him when he was a fourth-round pick from Nebraska in 2004. Defensive coordinator Bob Babich, then the linebackers coach, visited him before the draft and was enamored.

The contingency plan at receiver includes at least four names. Javon Walker is an interesting possibility, and when healthy he could be a No. 1. Donte Stallworth, also represented by Rosenhaus, could be in the picture. The Bears are exploring the possibility of bringing in Bryant Johnson for a visit. He's a younger version of Muhsin Muhammad who could flourish by escaping the shadows of Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin in Arizona. Johnson could be a ''Z'' receiver for the Bears with Mark Bradley and Devin Hester working at the ''X.''

Another option is D.J. Hackett, whom the Bears are known to have had internal discussions about. Hackett has the speed to be an ''X'' and is a bigger guy, which the Bears probably would prefer.

Hackett played in only six regular-season games last year, hampered by a sprained right ankle, and produced only 32 receptions for 384 yards and three touchdowns. He put together a 101-yard game with a touchdown in Seattle's wild-card round victory over Washington.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/820629,CST-SPT-bear01.article

And does Jeff Faine replace LeCharles Bentley as the highest paid centre??
Yes.

Something about ex-Saints Centres.

Faine isn't in Bentley's league though. He has good hands and rarely stuffs a snap but he doesn't monster people like LeCharles could.

He's a good signing for the Bucs though and they have a ton of cap space. They can afford it.

1. For those unaware Sven has compiled and is continually updating the free agency deals in post #1. thanks for that

Just to let everyone know, the list on page #1 is only the players who are valued as 5 or 4 'star' players. There's always a bunch of deals going on during free-agency, some are star players whereas others are depth signings. I'm just trying to cover the stars.

I'm in two minds whether or not to add the 49ers signing of Isaac Bruce to the list, I will, but I'm not sure Bruce will be the impact player that the 49ers desperately want.

My other observation of day 1 of free-agency goes to the Berrian and Briggs at Chicago, the Vikings will not pay over the odds for anyone, I think its a stretch to say that means Chicago are odds on to get them signed. Briggs may stay, but I think Berrian will sign elsewhere (and not with the Vikes)

Also, the Vikings really need to sign a Defensive End during free-agency, there's a few still left, so I'm hanging on every signing....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to let everyone know, the list on page #1 is only the players who are valued as 5 or 4 'star' players. There's always a bunch of deals going on during free-agency, some are star players whereas others are depth signings. I'm just trying to cover the stars.

I'm in two minds whether or not to add the 49ers signing of Isaac Bruce to the list, I will, but I'm not sure Bruce will be the impact player that the 49ers desperately want.

My other observation of day 1 of free-agency goes to the Berrian and Briggs at Chicago, the Vikings will not pay over the odds for anyone, I think its a stretch to say that means Chicago are odds on to get them signed. Briggs may stay, but I think Berrian will sign elsewhere (and not with the Vikes)

Also, the Vikings really need to sign a Defensive End during free-agency, there's a few still left, so I'm hanging on every signing....

I think Berrian is visiting the Raiders, who after losing Porter are in desperate need of receivers. Probably will spend over the odds for one now.

As for Wilson from the Giants, I see Juddy_Like reckons he is crap. Is this the general consensus?? Zarko?? I do not know a lot about him.

I think Berrian is visiting the Raiders, who after losing Porter are in desperate need of receivers. Probably will spend over the odds for one now.

As for Wilson from the Giants, I see Juddy_Like reckons he is crap. Is this the general consensus?? Zarko?? I do not know a lot about him.
i think wilson is an above-avergae safety, but not a game-changer. i don't think he is worth the money the the raiders paid for him though

Faneca agrees to record contract with Jets
By Adam Schefter | NFL Network

The New York Jets are laying it on the line, bolstering their offensive and defensive lines.

One day after trading for defensive tackle Kris Jenkins, the Jets reached agreement with former Pittsburgh Pro-Bowl free-agent guard Alan Faneca on a five-year, $40 million contract that includes $21 million in guaranteed money.

The record deal includes the highest average per year ever given to an offensive lineman, as well as the highest amount of guaranteed money. It is a deal that came together quickly between Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum and agent Rick Smith, and it fills New York's most gaping need.

Ever since the Jets traded left guard Pete Kendall to Washington last summer, they have struggled to find a replacement. Now they have one, a 10-year veteran who has been voted to seven straight Pro Bowls.

But the Jets aren’t finished in free agency just yet. They are in the process of arranging a visit for Detroit free-agent offensive lineman Damien Woody, who could man the right tackle position for the Jets. Woody played in New England in 1999, when the Patriots quality control coach was Eric Mangini, now the New York Jets head coach.

The Jets are also planning to welcome Arizona free-agent linebacker Calvin Pace to New York after he wrapped up his Saturday visit with the Miami Dolphins.

Woody and Pace would be superb additions in New York. But the acquistion of the 31-year-old Faneca, arguably the top available offensive free agent, provides the Jets with a tremendous boost.

Faneca considered signing with the St. Louis Rams and Arizona Cardinals, where he would have been reunited with his former coaches in Pittsburgh, Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm. But Arizona could not squeeze in Faneca's contract at a time wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald is scheduled to count $16.5 million against the Cardinals' salary cap.

Ultimately, Faneca decided that playing in New York, between left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold, for a franchise that made it clear to him how badly he was wanted, was too enticing. Faneca is a Jet all the way.

:eek: not unlike the Jets to pay top $$$ for Steeler hey Woody? Hopefully this turns out better for gang green. Anyway, time to sure up the right side and get to the stage where a Jet QB wont be putting his life on the line each time he takes a snap........and add some receivers.

btw........ta Larry! ;)

He's probably not worth the money but I'd take him.

Anyhow, your worth is more dependent on what's around in the position, the cap space available of the team you're going to and how desperate that team is for an upgrade at the position.

For the Raiders it's a good signing.

Saints have re-signed Stecker & Henderson to one year contracts. Stecker is probably insurance for Deuce. He's a handy back & plays hard on special teams. Reggie's first NFL TD on a punt return was courtesy of one of the best blocks you're ever going to see from Stecker. Henderson . . . meh.

There are a lot of B graders getting A Grade money.

Berrian to Vikes for, what, $16m signing bonus and he has never had a 1,000 yard receiving year.

As per my earlier post...I can't believe the money guys like Kelly, Faine, Smiley got paid....

Oh and good luck Raiders looking after your Rolls Royce Franchise QB with Gallery and Harris protecting you. Good thing he can run.

the FA wr list is pretty thin....only bryant johnson really worth going for. (cheap too).

OAK in need of a WR signing before draft day....maybe there's a trade cooking after all...like Lee Evans (rumored).

ANother rumor is that OAK and Dallas are trading....Huff for pick #22 maybe, could involve a bigger trade or just be a trade for that.

Lets just say i would be happier if we kept him...

Juddy, you are underestimating him IMHO. He doesn't shine through because of other defensive talent on the team who tend to be louder and make bigger singular impacts (Strahan, Osi, Pierce) but he was a huge blow for a LB corp that was relatively thin on depth. Along with Mitchell...

Afraid we got the worse result

i think wilson is an above-avergae safety, but not a game-changer. i don't think he is worth the money the the raiders paid for him though

I agree with that completely!

In other news I would be stoked if we got Hall for Pick 31 he is probably the best CB other than Bailey and we all know the Giants Secondary is average.

The Browns have had a killer of a FA....quite a lot of good signings. They'll make a run in 08/09 if they stay healthy.

Meanwhile, Saints look to be making a lot of noise too.

It's too hard to guage anyway right now, with so many goings on, rumors, possible trades/signings, and haven't yet sat down to analyze it all, and the on-paper rosters.

There are a lot of B graders getting A Grade money.

Berrian to Vikes for, what, $16m signing bonus and he has never had a 1,000 yard receiving year.

As per my earlier post...I can't believe the money guys like Kelly, Faine, Smiley got paid....

Oh and good luck Raiders looking after your Rolls Royce Franchise QB with Gallery and Harris protecting you. Good thing he can run.

I think its more got to do with the rapidly rising salary cap, than necessarily the quality of the players.

The Bucs have to add something like $25 million to their payroll this year just to make to league minimum for the salary cap. I think they've got something like $44 million in head room. There's just not enough quality out there to fully justify spending that kind of money, but they've got to do it.

The Berrian contract is for $42 million over 6 years and has $16 million guaranteed, so I doubt if there's a $16 million signing bonus. I agree though its a lot of money for someone who hasn't put up big numbers...

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL 2008 NFL Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Back