2009 AFL Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

You didn't put much thought into this did you? Hawthorn v Collingwood as the last game of the season? 3-5 potential finalists playing on Sunday of Round 22.

Yeah whatever.

OK, you create an entire flawless fixture then. Can't do it can you? Nope.

FFS, its a LOT harder than it looks - there are shitloads of factors to take in.

OK, you create an entire flawless fixture then. Can't do it can you? Nope.

FFS, its a LOT harder than it looks - there are shitloads of factors to take in.

It shouldn't even be done by hand. Not even the AFL do it by hand. All programmed now a days. They just chuck in the games they want and whoopy do,it's done.

Round 1:
Sunday, 22nd March
Port.Adelaide v North Melbourne AS

Round 2:
Sunday, 29th March
North Melbourne v Sydney C

Round 3: (Rivalry Round)
Sunday, 5th April
Hawthorn v North Melbourne TD (t)

Round 4:
Sunday, 13th April
Geelong v North Melbourne SS

Round 5:
Sunday, 19th April
North Melbourne v Western Bulldogs TD

Round 6: (Anzac Day Weekend)
Sunday, 26th April
Adelaide v North Melbourne AS

Round 7:
Saturday, 2nd May
St.Kilda v North Melbourne TD

Round 8: (Indigenous Round)
Saturday, 16th May
Brisbane Lions v North Melbourne G (n)

Round 9:
Sunday, 24th May
North Melbourne v Melbourne MCG

Round 10:
Saturday, 30th May
Fremantle v North Melbourne S

Round 11:
Sunday, 7th June
North Melbourne v Port.Adelaide TD

Round 12;
Friday, 12th June
Carlton v North Melbourne TD (n)

Round 13:
Sunday, 21st June
Essendon v North Melbourne MCG

Round 14: (Split Round)
Friday, 3rd July
Richmond v North Melbourne MCG (n)

Round 15:
Saturday, 11th July
West Coast v North Melbourne S (n)

Round 16:
Sunday, 19th July
Collingwood v North Melbourne MCG

Round 17:
Saturday, 25th July
North Melbourne v Adelaide MCG

Round 18:
Saturday, 1st August
North Melbourne v Geelong TD (n)

Round 19: (Tom Wills Round)
Sunday, 9th August
North Melbourne v Brisbane Lions MCG

Round 20:
Saturday, 15th August
Western Bulldogs v North Melbourne TD (n)

Round 21:
Sunday, 23rd August
North Melbourne v Essendon MCG (t)

Round 22:
Saturday, 29th August
Sydney v North Melbourne SCG (n)

That just looks ugly.And if that C is what i think it stands for, we ain't there anymore.

Also we play the Dons on Easter Monday
We also play the tigers in the Eureka game in the early rounds.
If Eddie is true to his word, we're only gunna have one game against the Pies
North have put in the option of playing 4-5 Friday night games andmost of our home games are at the Dome.

You didn't put much thought into this did you? Hawthorn v Collingwood as the last game of the season? 3-5 potential finalists playing on Sunday of Round 22.

Yeah whatever.

If it turned out that all Week 1 finals violated the 6 day rule if played on the Friday Night, then we would have a Sunday Night Final, just like in 1997, although that was due to coverage of the Di Funeral forcing 3 finals on the Sunday.

If I were constructing the fixture, assuming there had to be games on the Sunday of Round 22, my objectives would be
- two games only
- an early afternoon game
- an afternoon game
- no twilight game
- games between 4 Victorian teams most unlikely to play finals
- thus, no non-Victorian teams and no travel for any teams

Round 22, 2009
Sunday 30th August
Richmond v Nth Melbourne (MCG) 1.10pm
Essendon v Melbourne (TD) 2.10pm

You could make a case for WCE v Fremantle but they have indicated they would prefer to not play each other in Round 22, the same applies for Adelaide and Port Adelaide. Perhaps that request should only be honoured based on their performance that year.

It shouldn't even be done by hand. Not even the AFL do it by hand. All programmed now a days. They just chuck in the games they want and whoopy do,it's done.

Oh my God, you're right it shouldn't... thank God these fake fixtures aren't actually going to be released. :rolleyes:

Its just a bit of fun. Its very challenging but if you manage to pull it off, its quite rewarding. (Then again, I am a bit of a geek. :D)

If I were constructing the fixture, assuming there had to be games on the Sunday of Round 22, my objectives would be
- two games only
- an early afternoon game
- an afternoon game
- no twilight game
- games between 4 Victorian teams most unlikely to play finals
- thus, no non-Victorian teams and no travel for any teams

Round 22, 2009
Sunday 30th August
Richmond v Nth Melbourne (MCG) 1.10pm
Essendon v Melbourne (TD) 2.10pm

You could make a case for WCE v Fremantle but they have indicated they would prefer to not play each other in Round 22, the same applies for Adelaide and Port Adelaide. Perhaps that request should only be honoured based on their performance that year.

For round 22, I think there is a rule that no team can travel more than two state lines - therefore the two Western Australian sides can only travel as far as Victoria and Neither Brisbane or Sydney travels to Western Australia. (I think Birsbane can travel to Adelaide but I'm not sure)

Also, again I'm not a hundred percent sure but I think the four teams from Western and South Australia have an alternating last match at home deal - that is Port will be home in round 22 one year, and Adelaide the next. I know for a fact Freo and West Coast do.

I like the idea of two Sunday matches to finish the season. these developments are all fairly new, it wasn't that long ago that Freo would be playing another team in round 22 at Subiaco to finish off the season.

For round 22, I think there is a rule that no team can travel more than two state lines - therefore the two Western Australian sides can only travel as far as [South Australia] and Neither Brisbane or Sydney travels to Western Australia. (I think Birsbane can travel to Adelaide but I'm not sure)

I think you meant SA not VIC.

I think you meant SA not VIC.

No I meant Vic. Two state lines means from WA to Victoria. They can't play in Sydney or Brisbane for example. Its to minimise travel.

Round 3: (Rivalry Round)
Sunday, 5th April
Hawthorn v North Melbourne TD (t)

Hawthorn don't play Home Games at the TD

Also we play the Dons on Easter Monday

They've been rotating Easter Monday around for a few years now

We also play the tigers in the Eureka game in the early rounds.
If Eddie is true to his word, we're only gunna have one game against the Pies
North have put in the option of playing 4-5 Friday night games andmost of our home games are at the Dome.

According to 3AW, Channel 7 asked for NO North games next year, I doubt you'll get 4-5

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 home games in a row for the Crows. Won't happen.. 3 at a maximum, with a Showdown in there.

I didn't count them, but seems we had more than 11 home games.

Round 13:
Friday, 19th June
St.Kilda v Carlton MCG (n)
Saturday, 20th June
Melbourne v Port.Adelaide TD
Adelaide v Richmond AS
Collingwood v Hawthorn MCG (n)
West Coast v Geelong S (n)
Sunday, 21st June
Sydney v Fremantle SCG
Western Bulldogs v Brisbane Lions TD (t)

Friday, 26th June
Carlton v Adelaide TD (n)
Saturday, 27th June
Hawthorn v Port.Adelaide AU
Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda TIO (n)
Brisbane Lions v Essendon G (n)
Sunday, 28th June
Melbourne v West Coast MCG (e)
Fremantle v Geelong S
Friday, 3rd July
Saturday, 4th July
Sydney v Collingwood ANZ (n)

Sending Geelong to WA 2 weeks in a row??

Not gonna happen :rolleyes:

Two of Hawthorn's games in Launceston must be against other Vic teams. Its part of the state govt sponsorship deal (even if somehow Brisbane is regarded as a Victorian team for 2008 scheduling, the only time the AFL recognise Fitzroy).

Can North please have no home twilight games.

Double header won't happen. Maybe move the Geelong v Richmond game to Kardinia Park as a day game? Though that means shuffling round nine around.

Adelaide and Port never play home games on the same weekend. Apart from showdowns, its always one at home and one travelling. I think a strict home-away-home-away rotation applies for all non-Vic sides (edit: this is apparently incorrect, it does happen on rare occasions, but never for WA sides). Only Melbourne, North, Dogs and very rarely Geelong travel twice in a row; not counting finals. (Richmond may have done so once.)

Only one game in Canberra?

edit: And, as has been mentioned, Easter is April 10-13. Rounds 1 & 4 to be rejigged?
Adelaide - 12 designated home games, including both Showdowns
Brisbane - 12 designated home games, can only play the early game on Sunday due to clash with RL broadcast
Carlton - did I miss something? Isn't Docklands their home? Just 3 games there, one of them as the away side. Designated the "home" team in just 10 games?
Collingwood - looks reasonable, hard to see them getting "only" 5 Friday night games
Essendon - again 10 designated home games, only 3 Friday nights is unlikely, Sydney twilight games needs to be the early start
Fremantle - again Sydney can't play in the timeslot (round one), Saturday twilight (rd 2)?, 13 home games, 14 games overall at Subi with just one at night, (and unsure, do WA sides play the sunday early game? 11am start in the west)
Geelong - 10 home games, usually play more than 6 at Kardinia, no way anyone would get two trips to WA in a row (except maybe either side of the break in the split round?)

others to come

Decent effort there, bue why only 9 home game for North? And if the "C" stands for Cararra, then you might want to change that, as there's no way we are playing up at that shithole ever again.

Round 13:
Friday, 19th June
St.Kilda v Carlton MCG (n)
Saturday, 20th June
Melbourne v Port.Adelaide TD
Adelaide v Richmond AS
Collingwood v Hawthorn MCG (n)
West Coast v Geelong S (n)
Sunday, 21st June
Sydney v Fremantle SCG
Western Bulldogs v Brisbane Lions TD (t)

Friday, 26th June
Carlton v Adelaide TD (n)
Saturday, 27th June
Hawthorn v Port.Adelaide AU
Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda TIO (n)
Brisbane Lions v Essendon G (n)
Sunday, 28th June
Melbourne v West Coast MCG (e)
Fremantle v Geelong S
Friday, 3rd July
Saturday, 4th July
Sydney v Collingwood ANZ (n)

Sending Geelong to WA 2 weeks in a row??

Not gonna happen :rolleyes:

Unless Geelong want to do some sort of mini-camp in Perth.

Remove this Banner Ad

2009 AFL Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back