Review 2009 Draft Revisted: Your Wish Lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Draft Picks 10, 24, 26 & 33

Works for me :thumbsu:
You can now consider yourself educated :p:D

This sounds very much like Ant555's wish list.

A way to get around contractual arrangements.

I do want a ruckman with one of our 4 picks. Yes I know it is a poor year for ruckmen but given Bellchambers inability to be fit and Bock being a stick figure not to mention Laycock being injured for most of 2008/9, we have to take a ruckman this year. From what I have seen Gawn looks a better prospect than say a Craig who at 198cm is a bit of an in between height for a ruckman. Gawn's physicality has something to work with.

I think you are dreaming a bit. Gawn is not the answer to next year. Like Bellchambers when he was drafted he is 3 or 4 years away from having an impact. Secondly Bellchambers is fit enough, there are no issues there. The prblem with T-Bell is he is only 21 and he needs time.
Given the experience he has had over the last 2 years when he has played well before he has been ready i would expect him.
Drafting Gawn and expecting him to play in front of Bellchambers is simply wrong and to be honest if you had of seen anything of Gawn you would know what i am talking about.

bombersno1 said:
As for Moore, I have not seen him a great deal, but I hate these versatile players so to speak. GENUINE MIDFIELDERS are what I want with the other 3 picks, especially with pick 10. We need to get a safe A-B grade midfielder with pick 10. I'd rather take Stevens, Bartlett, or Melksham than take Moore, at least we know where they will play. We have enough versatile mids on our list headed by Myers who has spent most of his career to date on the HBF line!

Why 3 mids ? Something wrong with the developing group we have ? You do not think Houli , Dempsey , Hocking , Lonergan , Winderlich , Prismall , Myers etc can improve any ?
I would have thought that 2 mids would have been enough given the next couple of drafts we will almost certainly be drafting mids as well given the cream of the tall talent will be gone.
We actually dont have too many players like Moore. People seem to be looking at his 188cm size and writing off what a really good lead up forward he can be or the fact that he reads the play so well that his stoppage work is as good as most in the TAC Cup .
The issue i have is you are continually making comments on players you have hardly seen yet you see it as your mission to tell everyone who makes a comment what we need.
How can you knock Moore if you have hardly seen anything he has done ?
Ideally if we do not go Butcher or Talia then i suspect it could be Kane Lucas who may slip down to pick 10 and he would be a mid worth getting excited about.

I do want a ruckman with one of our 4 picks. Yes I know it is a poor year for ruckmen but given Bellchambers inability to be fit and Bock being a stick figure not to mention Laycock being injured for most of 2008/9, we have to take a ruckman this year. From what I have seen Gawn looks a better prospect than say a Craig who at 198cm is a bit of an in between height for a ruckman. Gawn's physicality has something to work with.

In Kevin Sheedy's book, Standing Your Ground, he wrote a little about ruckmen. I don't know your personal thoughts on Sheedy or whether you read his book but he seemed very sure that ruckmen took longer to develop than other players, "probably takes time to get used to having some other blokes knee in your rib every week".

Look at Naitinui, he seemed a star ruckman, and yet he will still take time to develop. Draftees will not fit into the ruck first year. They just wont...

Well don't take him becuase 33 is too early for him!

Obviously there is a fair bit of unknown about Patrick, but he may just be the most talented player at 33. Bit raw, but given we expect to be a powerhouse from around 2012 onwards, it could be a sublime pick. A medium freaky forward could be a very good addition.

Given that, by all reports that after the top couple of picks, the talent is more workman like than outstanding, taking on an enigmatic pick at 33 could be a chance worth taking.

Butcher, Talia or Lucas sounds great to me. I also still think Melksham could be anything.

Also at 33 im kinda agreeing with bombers :eek: not on that we need a ruckman to play next season (if this is case mature rookie :thumbsu:). I believe we can take a risk at this pic. Our list has a lot of depth and a high risk/reward player i wouldnt mind at this pic. At 208 by some latest reports and athletic with a decent enough skills seems full of potential for me. As for losing his taps to some smaller blokes it happens expesh as junior you would think with the height a permenant ruck coach would do wonders for him. Also reports he is decent mark up forward. Im not saying get Gawn but i wouldnt mind him. I got the feeling he will get picked up before our 33 pick as not many genuine ruckman.

Would you prefer fitzpatrick or gawn ant? All reports Fitzy could be amazing bar kicking which is often a problem for youngens at his height.

Does anyone else think that draft day is better then christmas?

Butcher, Talia or Lucas sounds great to me. I also still think Melksham could be anything.

Also at 33 im kinda agreeing with bombers :eek: not on that we need a ruckman to play next season (if this is case mature rookie :thumbsu:). I believe we can take a risk at this pic. Our list has a lot of depth and a high risk/reward player i wouldnt mind at this pic. At 208 by some latest reports and athletic with a decent enough skills seems full of potential for me. As for losing his taps to some smaller blokes it happens expesh as junior you would think with the height a permenant ruck coach would do wonders for him. Also reports he is decent mark up forward. Im not saying get Gawn but i wouldnt mind him. I got the feeling he will get picked up before our 33 pick as not many genuine ruckman.

Would you prefer fitzpatrick or gawn ant? All reports Fitzy could be amazing bar kicking which is often a problem for youngens at his height.

Does anyone else think that draft day is better then christmas?

I would take Fitzpatrick in front of Gawn despite his sometimes woefull kicking. Hard to beat Fitzpatricks pace around the ground. As far as his kicking goes well he can always run and bounce and then handball :D

As far as Gawn goes he does have potential but i think a few of the wraps on him have gone a bit over the top pretty much on his height alone and not totaly on performance.
If we did pick him at 33 then so be it but he is a risk and IMO would not be best avialable at that stage. It is actually almost a draft we we did need a pick in the mid 40's to early 50's if we where serious about a project ruckman.

Who knows maybe we will just roookie a left over ruckman not picked in the PSD or a VFL ruckman as insurance.

I think a few may be a bit more jittery about our ruck stregnth than they should be. I think that we are probaly 1 short given Laycocks injury history and Hilles knee but i am confident that Bellchambers can continue to improve and will do ok if he is forced to be the number 2 ruckman.
I think the T-Bell is a lot further advanced than many inside the club thought he would be at this stage. He was picked in the PSD as a 3 to 5 year pospect.

I think you are dreaming a bit. Gawn is not the answer to next year. Like Bellchambers when he was drafted he is 3 or 4 years away from having an impact. Secondly Bellchambers is fit enough, there are no issues there. The prblem with T-Bell is he is only 21 and he needs time.
Given the experience he has had over the last 2 years when he has played well before he has been ready i would expect him.
Drafting Gawn and expecting him to play in front of Bellchambers is simply wrong and to be honest if you had of seen anything of Gawn you would know what i am talking about.

Why 3 mids ? Something wrong with the developing group we have ? You do not think Houli , Dempsey , Hocking , Lonergan , Winderlich , Prismall , Myers etc can improve any ?
I would have thought that 2 mids would have been enough given the next couple of drafts we will almost certainly be drafting mids as well given the cream of the tall talent will be gone.
We actually dont have too many players like Moore. People seem to be looking at his 188cm size and writing off what a really good lead up forward he can be or the fact that he reads the play so well that his stoppage work is as good as most in the TAC Cup .
The issue i have is you are continually making comments on players you have hardly seen yet you see it as your mission to tell everyone who makes a comment what we need.
How can you knock Moore if you have hardly seen anything he has done ?
Ideally if we do not go Butcher or Talia then i suspect it could be Kane Lucas who may slip down to pick 10 and he would be a mid worth getting excited about.

Gawn may or may not be the answer. I am not saying just him. Really just using him as an example. I want a ruckman with 1 of our first 4 picks. I really think we are short with ruck depth considering Bock is nowhere near it in terms of physicality. Either take a ruckman or a genuine small forward at 33, and take a mature ruck in the PSD. I would not be totally against Cameron Cloke in the PSD or someone like that. We just need a bit of depth in that department.

As for Moore, I just want a genuine midfielder with 10. We can go for variety with 26 and 33. I want true blood midfielders with 10 and 24. Pick 10 on a lead up forward come pinch hitting midfielder in Moore is not what I want. I do rate our midfield but apart from Watson, none are remotely close to A Quality. You need 3-4 A Quality mids to win a premiership. Stock up on mids, our KPP spine is done, lets adress the other area- midfield. If we still had 16 Moore would be a good get for that pick, but not 10.

Hey Ant555, you seem to know what your talking about, what do you think of a young guy from Dandenong Stingrays i watched a bit named Maddison Andrews?? He is a blonde haired kid who wears the no 1.. really like the way he plays, hard at it, nice skills, knows how to find it etc.. What do you think his chances are? maybe rookie or something? Im not sure because i cant find any write ups about him so im not sure if that means there is no intrest from recruiters in him or what. Any sort of feedback would be good, Cheers.

Who knows maybe we will just roookie a left over ruckman not picked in the PSD or a VFL ruckman as insurance.

Certainly is an option.

Wouldn't imagine it being a high priority though with Hille, Laycock, T-Bell, Bockchoi & even Ryder among our ruck stocks.

Hey Ant555, you seem to know what your talking about, what do you think of a young guy from Dandenong Stingrays i watched a bit named Maddison Andrews?? He is a blonde haired kid who wears the no 1.. really like the way he plays, hard at it, nice skills, knows how to find it etc.. What do you think his chances are? maybe rookie or something? Im not sure because i cant find any write ups about him so im not sure if that means there is no intrest from recruiters in him or what. Any sort of feedback would be good, Cheers.

I liked they way he goes about it. Reasonable pace and pretty hard at it when he has to be. Probably falls into the slighty better than average but does not stand out in any one field basket which may see him over looked.
He is like a lot og kids you see every year , he plays well but has he got anything that will see him stand out over the others.

In my book he would be worth looking at as a rookie but he is in the area that may see him over looked.
If was him i would certainly have a crack at VFL if he is over looked beasue he wont have to find a lot to get people interested.

Didn't they have have a couple of hits on the dance charts a few years ago? "Don't Call Me Baby":p

I liked they way he goes about it. Reasonable pace and pretty hard at it when he has to be. Probably falls into the slighty better than average but does not stand out in any one field basket which may see him over looked.
He is like a lot og kids you see every year , he plays well but has he got anything that will see him stand out over the others.

In my book he would be worth looking at as a rookie but he is in the area that may see him over looked.
If was him i would certainly have a crack at VFL if he is over looked beasue he wont have to find a lot to get people interested.

Cheers Ant:thumbsu:. Kind of what i had assumed... I think he is training with Sandringham Dragons from what i've heard so id say he is having a crack with them incase nothing happens thursday or in the rookie draft.. Anyways i wouldnt be dissappointed if we rookied him..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was liking the idea of us picking up Lucas seeing as people were saying he'll go pick 6 or 7 but the more I watched of him the more his kicking looked terrible. I read your profile on him and he say he can be a "lazy" kick. I only watched 3 games of his highlights though so are games where he's been kicking well that I'm missing?

10- Dustin Martin/Kane Lucas
24- Koby Stevens/Matthew Panos
26- Luke Ball
33- Allen Christensen/Jesse Crichton/Jesse Smith

Note: What I hope will happen, not likely to though... :(

I was liking the idea of us picking up Lucas seeing as people were saying he'll go pick 6 or 7 but the more I watched of him the more his kicking looked terrible. I read your profile on him and he say he can be a "lazy" kick. I only watched 3 games of his highlights though so are games where he's been kicking well that I'm missing?

Most of his bad kicks are when he takes the lazy option and kicks across his body a bit or simply doesnt kick through the ball.
The kicking is an issue which is why i keep saying there is only 2 truely elite mids in this draft and both of them are going to Melbourne.
Every other mid has some sort of issues that make them more of a risk which s why i was harsh on people saying we needed to take a gun mid with pick 10.
You cant draft a gun if there is only a water pistol available and as far as Lucas goes his kicking issue is what stops him from being in that top 2 mix.

An educated guess would be that the two talls we are interested in are Talia and Butcher. From reports wouldn't mind either over a midfielder tbh. Although, it is a good draft for midfielders, meaning that we could take a tall at 10 and goes with Midfielders at 24/26 then an X - Factor at 33.

Of course, I know nothing about that darft, but an educated guess would say that^.

Ant - how much do you know about Aaron Black? If Talia and Butcher are both gone before pick 10, do you think that Dodoro and co would consider drafting Black given that there is still some uncertainty about our forward line given how much Neagle and Gumby seem to be injury prone? (I don't doubt the amount of talent we have up forward, but some security might be nice)

It seems to me (purely based on reading BF/Emma Quayle etc) that we could grab an onballer/s at 24 and 26 that could be as good as the on ballers at pick 10 given that there is no real standouts after the top couple.

That sounds like something that can be coached out of him though. Personally I would like us to pick him up so we can get another Lucas in the side.
We might need a remote control shock collar to set it straight.

Depends which talls are left. If Butcher is available, I would not hesitate to call his name out at pick 10.

1. Scully
2. Trengrove
3. Martin
4. Morabito
5. Cunnington
6. Rohan
7. Jetta
8. Talia/Butcher
9. Melksham

On that guess, I see two talls that are top ( or considered by teams that have a pick in the top 10). Sydney at 6 might take Butcher and Port could take Talia. Meaning that no talls would have slid to us.

Is it correct that only 2 tall's would come into Essendon's consideration for pick 10? (Not including utilities), Ant?

Unfortunatly guys, I think theres only about a 5% chance of Melksham being available. What do you guys think of Bastinac? I think he is perfect for you.

Unfortunatly guys, I think theres only about a 5% chance of Melksham being available. What do you guys think of Bastinac? I think he is perfect for you.

Interesting call on Melksham. Why 5% do you think someone other then port are likely to get him? or do you think port is a certainty?
Anything to do with Emma rating him at 6?
I havnt seen much of Bastinac, and Melksham one of a few i hope we get. Who u guys after?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back