Review 2009 Draft Revisted: Your Wish Lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Daft Picks 10, 24, 26 & 33

G'day Ant555, just wanted to tell you that i really appreciate what you bring to this forum, keep up the great work. Got a question for you, a few of the more credible posters such as foj1 and snoop have Kane lucas either landing at our pick 10 or going past this point. Just wanted to hear your opinion of him as there seems to be a chance he could be available. Cheers Ant.

Sorry , sometimes having to read everything for the mod duties leads you to actually missing questions or not having time to get back to them :)

Anyway to answer the question Sheppard and Duncan where probaly the best two small/medium defenders and they will not be around at 33.
The thing is a lot of sides play their extra mids at half back to create play so you do not have to worry about small defenders going to early as there tends to be more mid/defenders.
For me you wont have to worry , if we went for a small defender guys like Hooper or Menzel who have played a lot of small defender will be there at pick 33. If you where looking for a defender ready to play next year then Hooper would be the one.
He was a player that i had question marks on last year becasue of a couple of horror champ games but he has grown on me. He is only 172cm but he is a solid player who has good speed off the mark and very good defensive skills. Gives you 120% all the time. His skills have been alot more consistant this year.

The issue i have is i am not sure you draft small defenders inside the first two rounds and i suspect that we will e looking at McVeigh and Slattery as our main smaller defenders along with a few of the midfielders in support.
thanks a lot ant, you give valuable insight. no worries on the mod duties

Got a question for you, a few of the more credible posters such as foj1 and snoop have Kane lucas either landing at our pick 10 or going past this point. Just wanted to hear your opinion of him as there seems to be a chance he could be available.

First of all I'm not Ant, but I'll give my opinion on this issue anyway. I'll keep it short.

If Kane Lucas lands to us at pick 10, I'll be very surprised. So his chances of falling past our pick would be very, very slim I would imagine. Awaiting Ant's reply...

G'day Ant555, just wanted to tell you that i really appreciate what you bring to this forum, keep up the great work. Got a question for you, a few of the more credible posters such as foj1 and snoop have Kane lucas either landing at our pick 10 or going past this point. Just wanted to hear your opinion of him as there seems to be a chance he could be available. Cheers Ant.

I think he will be gone before our pick but you never know.
I have just done his profile and it is posted in the palyer profile thread so that will give you an idea of how i rate him :thumbsu:

First of all I'm not Ant, but I'll give my opinion on this issue anyway. I'll keep it short.

If Kane Lucas lands to us at pick 10, I'll be very surprised. So his chances of falling past our pick would be very, very slim I would imagine. Awaiting Ant's reply...

I thought there might be a chance that one of the highly fancied midfielders may get to our pick as there is a supposed dearth in kpp talent in the upcoming drafts, so teams might be prepared to slightly over pay for kpp's.

I thought there might be a chance that one of the highly fancied midfielders may get to our pick as there is a supposed dearth in kpp talent in the upcoming drafts, so teams might be prepared to slightly over pay for kpp's.

Apart from Butcher, you are paying well over the odds if you went with a KPP inside the top 10 this year. If you managed your list you should have gone KPP in 2006 and also last year.

By all reports from those claiming to be in the know Lucas is a small chance to fall to us.

melb Scully
melb Trengove
Rich Martin
Freo Morabito (these top for are claimed to be locks)
Nrth Cunnington/Rohan/Butcher
Syd Cunnington/Rohan/Butcher
WC Jetta
Port Butcher/Talia
Port Tapscott/Cunnington/Rohan/Lucas
Us leaved with whats left i guess

However based on recent years around this point most people had Hill outside first round and Watts Nat Rich as definite top 3. Not always the case. This year is slightly different with people claiming Scul and Tren the locks (which i believe) and martin richmond have reported interest in as well as WCE in Jetta.

I could definately see North, Sydney (maybe even Richmond) picking Butcher based on needs and lack of potential of getting a good one later on or in comming drafts.
Port have been linked to 2 mids and a KPP. Make of it what you will just what i have read from other people. Not claiming to know anything myself. Also i read in one of the drafts that Tapscott is over rated on BF and will likely go at 16 or later not inside top ten. However i think ants profile says wont be outside first round. I thought he looked very impressive.

On a side note does anyone like the look of Vardy or Gawn. I think if either of those two are around for our 3rd or 4th pick could be worth a look at based on what i have seen. Stand to be corrected tho:thumbsu: Gawn is a huge unit 206 cm and fairly mobile by looks of things prior to knee tho

On a side note Rohan is hyped up due to speed and scope however didnt lucas test better at draft camp and has been better over past few seasons?

I am beginning to want Talia more than any other player. All the other players that might be around our pick seem to have question marks surrounding them. Talia doesn't have any major weaknesses. The only thing, like others, that I am worried about is our future midfield. Wouldn't mind Lucas if he slips. Stevens has O.P, Tapscott doesn't really have a set position and is quite slow, Christianson is good but not worth Pick 10 and Melksham is inconsistant.

If we get Talia:

Bakeline: Hurley, Pears, Hooker, Daniher, Talia

Forward: Gumbleton, Still, Neagle, Ryder, Resting Ruckman

That is our talls set for 10 + years. If Neagle or Gumbleton don't come on, then Hurley can play forward with Talia as a CHB.

Apart from Butcher, you are paying well over the odds if you went with a KPP inside the top 10 this year. If you managed your list you should have gone KPP in 2006 and also last year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few KPP's go in the top 10. The fact that there are fewer will raise their value. If other teams pay over the odds that suits me fine!

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few KPP's go in the top 10. The fact that there are fewer will raise their value. If other teams pay over the odds that suits me fine!

Who will go top 10 other than Butcher? Talia, possibly but can't see it myself unless we take him at 10, Vardy is not a top 10 pick. The top 8-15 players are basically all midfielders with the exception of Butcher and Talia.

Im only guessing here but I think Port will take Butcher and Talia at 8 and 9 if available and maybe Tappscott at 16. Also throw Sheppard and Melksham in there somewhere if the talls are gone. What ever happens we will get a good one, I also think that Christensen may be available at 24 for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im only guessing here but I think Port will take Butcher and Talia at 8 and 9 if available and maybe Tappscott at 16. Also throw Sheppard and Melksham in there somewhere if the talls are gone. What ever happens we will get a good one, I also think that Christensen may be available at 24 for us.

I also thought this may happen with the impending retirements of Chad Cornes and Warren Tredrea, as well as the retirement of Brendan Lade. (even though he only rested in the forward pocket he was still a good option up forward for port)

Who will go top 10 other than Butcher? Talia, possibly but can't see it myself unless we take him at 10, Vardy is not a top 10 pick. The top 8-15 players are basically all midfielders with the exception of Butcher and Talia.

Butcher, Talia, Panos or Carlisle. Also had a discussion today as to how high Griffiths would go... It doesn't really matter if you think they're worth top 10 or not. If a club needs a KPP and doesn't believe that player will be around by their 2nd pick they have to go for it (or miss out).

Simple fact. If something is in short supply and is wanted, it's value goes up. IMHO it is possible more that just Butcher will be taken inside the top 10.

Just checked your phantom draft. You have 4 of the 5 I listed above going in the first round. :)

All I've got to go off is BF and Youtube but I think I get the general idea of the draft. How I'm seeing it is we'll want Tapscott (unless a better midfielder slides) and the rest of the midfielders just seem like solid/inconsistant midfielders which I think we have enough of. So if Tapscott's gone, the idea of taking Tahlia sounds good. It'd allow Hurley to play forward and we wouldn't need to worry if Neagle will live up to his potential for not. If for some reason none of those options are possible I'd want us to take Melksham/Stevens.

I have faith in the Essendon recruiters after the last couple of seasons results though.

Alright, can Whomb/Ant/Pazza please change "daft" to "draft"?

It's really starting to annoy me.

Didn't Notice it, now I will forever.

Draft Pick or Daft Punk?

LOL! I was just listening to "Music sounds better with you" in the car by Daft Punk :p

Ant, can I ask you a couple of questions?

1. What's your take on Jake Fitzpatrick as a forward

2. Would you be for/against Troy Taylor if available in the mid 20's.

Fitzpatrick would be great if he could kick. Would be like watching a bad Richo goal kicking video having him up forward unless he really improves.
On the opposite to that alhtough i would have some mixed feelings i would not be totaly put of drafting him as a ruckman as he is quick and mobile and we could always instruct him to run and handball.

As far as Troy Taylor goes. Tough call but i am going to say no. The kid certainly has X factor and he can find the ball when you think he has no hope of getting it but he can also go to far and end up doing dumb things in his quest to do the impossible. I just havn't seen him do enough to convince me. The risk of him tuening out to be one of the Clarke boys puts me off a little. Amongst all the flash and jaw dropping stuff there is also a lot of WTF moments.

Maybe it was an omen as to some of the selections put forward :D

Butcher, Talia, Panos or Carlisle. Also had a discussion today as to how high Griffiths would go... It doesn't really matter if you think they're worth top 10 or not. If a club needs a KPP and doesn't believe that player will be around by their 2nd pick they have to go for it (or miss out).

Simple fact. If something is in short supply and is wanted, it's value goes up. IMHO it is possible more that just Butcher will be taken inside the top 10.

Just checked your phantom draft. You have 4 of the 5 I listed above going in the first round. :)

Just can't see it, plus my 2nd phantom draft only has two of those players- Panos and Griffiths are not in my first round anymore. I am a firm beleiver of "best available" and if you are going away from that you run the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back