Review 2009 Draft Revisted: Your Wish Lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Daft Picks 10, 24, 26 & 33

I am confused about how posters are rating Troy Taylor without any video footage.

So outside of posters who attend TAC Games or come from Alice Springs - Who has watched Taylor play football ?

haha i think you have stumped a few there... I like the way everyone judges young players on how good or bad they are through hear say bull s#*t from big footy, or a 2 minute youtube clip... Let the big boys do the recruiting, im sure they'll make the right decisions...
I remember how many people cracked it last yr when we took hurley instead of rich... Dont hear much about that anymore..

I have seen Taylor play when i watched 2 of the NT under 18 champ games on fox, looks a bit laconic at times...but he can certainly play, his arms are freakishly long and makes the impossible look easy.

My preferences for our picks would be

Pick 10: Ben Cunnington OR Jake Melksham

Pick 24: Allen Christiansen OR Ryan Bastinac

Pick 26: Troy Taylor OR Brad Sheppard

Pick 33: Jesse Smith OR Travis Colyer

Zero chance Shephard will be available at 26, even 24 is pucshing it. Should go late first round/really early 2nd round. I'd love it to happen though and be proved wrong but I can't see it.

My preferences for our picks would be

Pick 10: Jake Melksham

Pick 24: Andrew Moore OR Ryan Bastinac

Pick 26: Travis Colyer

Pick 33: Nicky Winmar

I'm going to say first up, i have never seen him play. But if we are going to rookie list a ruckman, considering we have about 4-5 rookie picks, would Dean Putt be a chance? Been delisted by Richmond, and i remember draft time 2 years ago, we wanted him very badly at our pick 54 and were extremely disapointed when he went to Richmond at Pick 51 (Not complaining anymore though, Hooker is looking good;)). But it'll be interesting to see if our recruiters minds have changed in the past 2 years.

I'm going to say first up, i have never seen him play. But if we are going to rookie list a ruckman, considering we have about 4-5 rookie picks, would Dean Putt be a chance? Been delisted by Richmond, and i remember draft time 2 years ago, we wanted him very badly at our pick 54 and were extremely disapointed when he went to Richmond at Pick 51 (Not complaining anymore though, Hooker is looking good;)). But it'll be interesting to see if our recruiters minds have changed in the past 2 years.

And i was extremely pleased we did not pick him up. Ordinary player who got by in the under 18's becasue of his height and he had a bit of a jump. His ruck work is ordinary and has not inproved which is why Richmond delisted him. No good being reasonably mobile if you can not find the ball or win a hit out.

Apart from Vickery who is a promising young player Richmond are hardy over run with quality ruckman. In the end Simmonds got another year becasue the younger ruckmen where rubbish.

If we draft any Richmond ruck scraps then we are heading down the wrong road !!!

I'd love to be able to see more junior footy. It sucks going 100% on hearsay & youtube - but I guess that's like 99% of everyone here.

It get's very misleading when people compare players to other players, because they are always awesome players, when in reality very few get to that level.

People have said Melksham is the next Lenny Hayes. But if he was, surely he'd go top 3

Jake Melksham looked amazing in the grandfinal replay footage love to get him. He looks like a gun. That performance will shoot him up the draft order.

Ant where you rate him in midfeilders this year? Trengrove scully martin cunn... etc

Jake Melksham looked amazing in the grandfinal replay footage love to get him. He looks like a gun. That performance will shoot him up the draft order.

Ant where you rate him in midfeilders this year? Trengrove scully martin cunn... etc

I dont mind Jake but he has not done as much on a regular basis as the likes of Trengove , Scully , Cunnington , Martin or even Christenson for that matter.

His GF was great , controlled the game , won a heap of clearances and kicked it as well as anyone going around. However the week before in the prelim final he only had 13 possessions and pretty much had zero effect. In the SF against Gippsland he had 18 disposals but his disposal efficiency was around 35%. It has been that sort of year for him. In the 4 finals games he had a mixed bag , very good in two and questionable in two.

During the champ series he was steady enough without dominating any games and his disposal was the same , one game it was good with some lovely long kicks and then the next you are left scratching your head wondering what the hell he was thinking after one of his passes hits the opposition on the chest.

He is in the mix of mids that will go in the area of our first pick. In what i have seen of him he suffers in my ratings in a similar way that Stevens does and that is he can disappoint with a lack luster performance more than they should if the wraps on them are to be believed. They are players that i have had penciled in as someone to watch out for but sadly the more i have seen of them there have been a few average games which did not ecite me a lot.

If i was going to pick a mid at 10 i would take Christenson . Yes he is small and he is not a booming kick. he has issues with kicking bounce passes from time to time and his skin folds at draft camp where not great but the more you see him the more you like him. He is not a super star premium type mid but he makes things happen. He has the knack of winning clearances when needed or kicking an important goal when forward or providing run from defense at times in the game when a side really needs it. His consistancy and ability to change a game in a ten minute period due to pure hard work rate with a little skill just makes you like him.
An example was in the Champ game against Metro , he went onto the ball early in the third quarter and won 4 center clearances in a row that resulted in 3 goals that broke the game open.

I do not think we will get an A grade star mid at 10. Personally i think that only Trengove and Scully are the eilte mids in this years draft.
What we will get with a Melksham , Stevens or Christenson willbe a pretty good mid that may develop into a good player .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting post ant. Sounds like the midfielder we get (assuming we go with a midfielder) is likely, at best, to be a Stanton type. Pretty solid, good player, who does a lot of things well, but isn't in that elite bracket, just not a genuine gun.

I dont mind Jake but he has not done as much on a regular basis as the likes of Trengove , Scully , Cunnington , Martin or even Christenson for that matter..

Great right up, thanks for that ant. Any change Christenson or any others we consider at ten could drop to our 2nd pick. Unlikely i know but players like christenson could be over looked due to high concerns. A lot of Phantom drafts have him going around our 2nd round mark. Not that they are overly accurate. Would love to see yours btw :D:D:D

If Melksham had played more consistant games he would be ideal for pick 10 by looks of that footage. Inside/outside mid who breaks lines and has good skills. Obviously this is not the case as this was only one game but damn he looked good. And also been many question marks on his kicking from people who watch games.

I agree with that he looked like exactly what we need! I'm hoping to get:

pick 10 Jake Melksham

Pick 24 Bradley Shephard

Pick 26 Callum Bartlett

Pick 33 Daniel Menzell

Ant, I'll ask again considering you didn't answer me the last time, who is the best Small Defender in this draft? And do you think he could slip to 33?

Luke Ball at pick 24 make it happen.

Give him the captaincy, make him the face of the club.

If luke ball leaves Stkilda he will put a 1 million dollar price tag on his head.Collingwood will pay him that first year.Collingwood have been manouevering and back ending some contracts to slot ball in.
Don't think many other clubs wil pay i million,because of salary cap l.He will go into the national draft.
He is only interested in playing for Collingwood ,was at the Lexus centre on Sunday.
He rejected Essendon once he made his decision to possibly move clubs.
I believe welsh and macphee will re sign new contracts soon with the .bombers.

Lets wait and see what happens.................Would you really want a player at your club,that doesn't want to play for you?Its really a waste of a spot ,money and in the end he won't try as hard.
If Ball didn't nominate collingwood .we would not chase him.
Look at how nick stevens career ended,didn't really show his true worth atr carlton.

Why whould we target Goose in the national draft when we can pick him up via the PSD?

Why would Knights say no to Goose prior to trade week but all of a sudden change his mind?

Why would we make a deal with St Kilda for Lovett and not try and get Goose also?

Can't pick-up Goose unless we either

a) use pick 33 on him
b) don't use 33 on anyone, therefore have a PSD pick
c) delist one more player to allow us to have another pick.

We would need to delist one more player to allow for another to join our list.

That's why we won't get him, considering it would be absurd to use pick 33 on him.

Ant, I'll ask again considering you didn't answer me the last time, who is the best Small Defender in this draft? And do you think he could slip to 33?

Sorry , sometimes having to read everything for the mod duties leads you to actually missing questions or not having time to get back to them :)

Anyway to answer the question Sheppard and Duncan where probaly the best two small/medium defenders and they will not be around at 33.
The thing is a lot of sides play their extra mids at half back to create play so you do not have to worry about small defenders going to early as there tends to be more mid/defenders.
For me you wont have to worry , if we went for a small defender guys like Hooper or Menzel who have played a lot of small defender will be there at pick 33. If you where looking for a defender ready to play next year then Hooper would be the one.
He was a player that i had question marks on last year becasue of a couple of horror champ games but he has grown on me. He is only 172cm but he is a solid player who has good speed off the mark and very good defensive skills. Gives you 120% all the time. His skills have been alot more consistant this year.

The issue i have is i am not sure you draft small defenders inside the first two rounds and i suspect that we will e looking at McVeigh and Slattery as our main smaller defenders along with a few of the midfielders in support.

Why whould we target Goose in the national draft when we can pick him up via the PSD?

Why would Knights say no to Goose prior to trade week but all of a sudden change his mind?

Why would we make a deal with St Kilda for Lovett and not try and get Goose also?

Well if McPhee and Welsh sign then we will not be looking at him unless we use pick 33. If they do not then we will be looking at options late in the ND or in the PSD.

I suspect a reason for changing his mind would be McPhee leaving so we would be down an experienced defender and looking to fill that hole. And yes i know they are different players but McGuire could be used to free up Pears to play the role that McPhee does.

Personally i am not excited by Goose. His VFL form this year was nothing special and he has not played seriously good footy for a few seasons now.

Don't think we really need to take any more punts with injury prone players. We've got some good depth now; Pears, Hooker, Daniher and even Hurley & Gumby can play in that back half. Sure they'll get tired at some stage due to the extreme pressure put on them keeping the superstars quiet, but we've got enough depth to rotate. If McPhee stays, which he should; I see no reason to consider McGuire (much like Ant's comments). Especially as his form of late hasn't been crash hot or above average in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back