Golf 2010 PGA Tour Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Chad Campbell is last after round 1...such a shit tourny though.

Yep, worst tournament of the year, didn't even have a bet this week.

This tournament is about the only one I don't bet on all year, stupid 5 round, easy course event only played because of the US obsession with Bob Hope.

Surely a 3rd tournament in Hawaii or even a PGA tour event in Mexico or the Caribbean would be better then this shit.

Bugger me, there was some big time choking in the final round this morning.

Winner Ben Crane cashed in on a couple of 50 foot plus bombs on the front nine, but really got the Sunday jitters coming home. Trouble was nobody else was able to take advantage.

Sim had a perfect chance on the last to put pressure but elected to lay up from the perfect position and subsequently over spun his wedge in. Played well, but it was a weak decision that cost him a chance to win. Top players don't get scared off the way he did then, hopefully he'll learn from this.

Allenby burned the hole for a share of the lead on the 13th, then proceeded to lose 5 shots in 4 holes. He totally lost his head at the end... spraying drives OB, flying greens on the full, and ramming putts 5-10 feet by the hole. Good eagle on the last, but much easier to do that when you have nothing to lose.

Ricky Fowler also blew a perfect opportunity with a double on the 17th... kid has talent but needs to learn how to win on Sunday.

Sim had a perfect chance on the last to put pressure but elected to lay up from the perfect position and subsequently over spun his wedge in. Played well, but it was a weak decision that cost him a chance to win. Top players don't get scared off the way he did then, hopefully he'll learn from this.
Disagree with all that.

He had 246 yards from his position (uphill?) to carry to the pin. I'm guessing that would have been a flat out hybrid (if he is still carrying his 19 deg model) and line ball whether it would carry the water or not. The alternative would have been a 3 wood to the back of the green and then it would have been an unbelievably hard 2 putt or chip from above the hole downhill.

He probably reasoned that with the lay up he could wedge the ball hole high and with moderate check give himself an uphill straight putt for birdie to get into a playoff. Just can't believe how much spin he got with the new grooves.

IMO this is quite different to Chip Beck at the 95 Masters for example.

Agree to disagree.

One shot back and your opponent has successfully laid up, I guarantee pretty much every top player with Sim's length would have gone for it.

He had plenty of club to get there, the final green was very soft, and the cradle behind the hole only would have helped (ie like it did Allenby, who successfully knocked it on from further away, albeit in a fit of petulant anger).

With Crane in the fairway 100 yards from the pin I would much preferred to see Sim lose by knocking it in the water than the way he did. If he was a shot up then I could understand it, but one shot back and he had to attack from that position.

No surprise to see that Allenby's bad 4 hole run started with a disagreement with the caddy over clubs on the 2nd shot. I wonder if he has been sacked yet?

Disappointing for Sim, but you combine solid iron play with being the number 1 ranked putter for the week and you will contend several times.

Had something like 12 dropped shots for the week. Just needs to eliminate some of those mistakes.

That could be the end of Allenby's form run.

Hope not, but wouldn't be completely surprised.

Haven't watched any of the golf so far this season but impressive stuff from a few of our boys over there. Nice to Sim and Leishman tied for second this week, contiuning their good form from last year.

Onto Riviera CC this week for one of the best tournaments of the year IMO.

I love this course, it's tough, tight and top players always win here.

Aussies have a decent record here too, with Allenby and Scott winning in the past 10 years. (Although Scott won a 2 round tournament due to rain).

Scott's first tournament of the year on the tour, will be interesting to see if his Australian form can hold up, or if he's 09 form will creep back in.

Allenby may have run his course, as with more top players returning/hitting form each week it gets harder to win, especially as we approach Tiger's probable return in a few weeks, and the lead up to the Masters.

My four top tips this week are Stricker, Donald, Howell III and Mike Weir, mostly based on form on this course and the last few events.

Mickelson is the obvious favourite, but his driving was way off last week, and you have to drive well at Riviera to have any chance. I think his season will take off from his next event on.

Good tournament to watch this, hopefully no rain delays.:thumbsu:

Onto Riviera CC this week for one of the best tournaments of the year IMO.

I love this course, it's tough, tight and top players always win here.

Aussies have a decent record here too, with Allenby and Scott winning in the past 10 years. (Although Scott won a 2 round tournament due to rain).

Scott's first tournament of the year on the tour, will be interesting to see if his Australian form can hold up, or if he's 09 form will creep back in.

Allenby may have run his course, as with more top players returning/hitting form each week it gets harder to win, especially as we approach Tiger's probable return in a few weeks, and the lead up to the Masters.

My four top tips this week are Stricker, Donald, Howell III and Mike Weir, mostly based on form on this course and the last few events.

Mickelson is the obvious favourite, but his driving was way off last week, and you have to drive well at Riviera to have any chance. I think his season will take off from his next event on.

Good tournament to watch this, hopefully no rain delays.:thumbsu:

don't forget the elk won the pga championship there as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leishman is sort of an unknown to many.

A fair few Aussies missed the cut this morning. Bad weather means the second round will be finished tomorrow.

Leishman has a spot in the Masters, so he's one of our top guys now.

He is from Warrnambool as I am and so I follow him quite closely. My dad (who has been a member at the Warrnambool Golf Club for many years) knows him quite well. He has a very good temperament. Never loses control.

He is currently 10th on the FedExCup Points (for 2010). Only Australian player higher is Ogilvy.

He is having a terrible tournament at the moment but credit to him he isn't getting frustrated. Is ranked 80th out of 81 in GIR yet has still not shot a round over par.

Must be putting well.

Leishman (and Sim to a lesser extent) have had a habit of getting more money out of a weekend by playing their best round on Sunday.

Seems like Stricker will be hard to beat here, although Donald, J.B and Romero won't let it slip without a fight.

Stricker has been amazing really the past 18 months, up to no.3. in the world for a player who 3 years ago couldn't keep his tour card.

Oh yeah, and I backed Stricker pre tourney at 15's and Donald at 67's, quite happy at the moment.:thumbsu:

We've missed the start but anyone interested in doing a little "one and done" sort of fantasy league for the rest of the year? Pick a different golfer every week and use their prizemoney won as the scoring?

Might put up some prizes at the end of it depending on interest.

We've missed the start but anyone interested in doing a little "one and done" sort of fantasy league for the rest of the year? Pick a different golfer every week and use their prizemoney won as the scoring?

Might put up some prizes at the end of it depending on interest.

Sounds good. :thumbsu:

Good final round, Donald could have been very close at the end if he had of held some puts late.

Stricker deserved to win though, amazing career turnaround to reach world no.2 (effectively best player on tour until Tiger returns).

By the way, Tiger's caddy said today that Tiger will not play the matchplay in 2 weeks, so who knows when he will return, the Players at TPC maybe.

Next week onto the Pebble Beach pro-am, and also the site of this year's US open.

Some classic holes at Pebble Beach, no more famous then the 18th.

Will be interesting to see whether players like Mickelson, Weir, Els, Scott etc can get their season going next week, because they have struggled so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Golf 2010 PGA Tour Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back