2010 Rising Star Winner

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, we all know that do we?:rolleyes: I believe Watts was quite good yesterday but even Melbourne supporters would not say he has been consistently good. Go on your own board if you don't believe me. He has shown some great signs along with some howlers but Astbury has barely put a foot wrong.

Astbury has played at least five games down back, maybe more. Certainly in every one of Ben Griffiths' four games Astbury has been in defence and he also was in the Geelong game. Pretty sure he played down back in the St Kilda game that Griffiths missed so that would be at least six out of 10.

If the panel follows its pattern of awarding nominations to players from winning teams more often than not, Astbury gets it. Regardless, he deserves it.

well, you did just say you didnt think he has been consistently good didnt you?:D I definately dont think Watts has been consistently good, i was just questioning that Astbury has been consistently good, i have only seen one of his games in the backline, and he was fairly good then (vs Swans) but i saw some of his games in the forward line where he did not play well, so i wouldnt say he has been consistantly good. Thats the only part i was disputing

Hannebery should have it wrapped up.

Far from it.

Bastinac took the chocolates amongst the 4 candidates today, just shading Hannaberry, then Trengove with Scully putting in a poor one.

I still have Hannaberry slightly in front of Trengove with Bastinac now taking Scullys place in 3rd spot.

Really ? Why did it take him quite a while to get nominated ?

Trengove doesn't have a weakness. He wins.

Because we were getting thumped every week by 10 goals

Really ? Why did it take him quite a while to get nominated ?

Trengove doesn't have a weakness. He wins.

Um yes he does , his hardness and left foot arent up to scratch .

And arent Trengove and Scullys tank ment to be the best going around ? by far better than MArtins ? . Than how come Martins dominating in the midfield running out games better than both those 2 in the latter part of the season ? .:rolleyes:

Martin will get the most votes and the winner will have a asterik next to his name anyway

And arent Trengove and Scullys tank ment to be the best going around ? by far better than MArtins ? . Than how come Martins dominating in the midfield running out games better than both those 2 in the latter part of the season ? .:rolleyes:

Martin will get the most votes and the winner will have a asterik next to his name anyway

Lol I agree that Martin has been more impressive and Scullgove in their debut seasons but to imply that Jack Trengove is soft really shows that you have zero knowledge about his playing ability. The kid is as tough as nails don't you worry about that. Perhaps he doesn't have the physicality of Martin but this is to be expected bearing in mind Dustin is some what of a man child and would have 10 kilos on Jack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no point arguing with teenagers.

Get a clue, Kid.:eek:

Why wouldn't there be a Nat Fyfe option. He will finish top 5 and he has the potential to be the best.

Would be better than at least half the options.

Why wouldn't there be a Nat Fyfe option. He will finish top 5 and he has the potential to be the best.

Would be better than at least half the options.
I forgot him, I'm sorry. But yes he will be Top 5 or 6.

I'm going to be predictable and biased and ask whether Ben Stratton is a possibility.

Hasn't played a bad game all year.
Not enough standout games will be Top 10 at best.

I would say Martin would be a very good chance, But, I think he is ineligible to win the award.

Daniel Hanneberry would be a good chance, I like the way he plays.

The Rising Star is far from won, although I do think that Scully is dropping off the pack.

Bastinac is probably the most consistent, but his best is not as stand out as the other three boys.

Trengove is shaping as the one that can grab Hannaberry, and leads him in virtually all statistical indicators, with Bastinac not that far behind.

Whoever runs out the season the best of these three will win it and I think these three will take the placings.

There's really not much in it.

The Rising Star is far from won, although I do think that Scully is dropping off the pack.

Bastinac is probably the most consistent, but his best is not as stand out as the other three boys.

Trengove is shaping as the one that can grab Hannaberry, and leads him in virtually all statistical indicators, with Bastinac not that far behind.

Whoever runs out the season the best of these three will win it and I think these three will take the placings.

There's really not much in it.

I think that's a pretty fair summation, although I'd have Scully ahead of Bastinac because his best has been better.

Hannebery has had three 11 possessions or less games, whilst Scully's worst is 14, but in reality that's not a significant issue. All these first year players (Hannebery is virtually first year) are by nature going to be inconsistent, so it's their best games that are probably worth noting. This is why I'd have Bastinac behind the other three. They'll all gain consistency, but it's what they can do at their best that is the litmus test.

Right now I'd have Trengove, Hannebery, Scully and Bastinac in that order, but Scully has 7 weeks to make his run. The season is but two thirds gone, so it's silly to discount Scully if he's saved his best til the last few weeks. And the voters of this award may be influenced by what's fresher in the memory bank.

Fyfe and Rockliff may also fill the placings.

All these first year players (Hannebery is virtually first year) are by nature going to be inconsistent, so it's their best games that are probably worth noting. This is why I'd have Bastinac behind the other three. They'll all gain consistency, but it's what they can do at their best that is the litmus test.

Good point.

If you take out each players best 2 games, then Hannaberry is statistically running last out of the four players.

Trengove - 19.5
Bastinac - 19.0
Scully - 18.7
Hannaberry - 17.8

FWIW, I think Scully, Trengove and Bastinac will all eventually end up being better players than Hannaberry.

Right now I'd have Trengove, Hannebery, Scully and Bastinac in that order, but Scully has 7 weeks to make his run.

Fair enough.:thumbsu:

My reasoning Re: Scully is that he has tailed off the last couple of weeks and I think the season might be starting to catch up with him.

The other 3 have advantages where Hannaberry has an extra preseason under his belt, Trengove arrived with a much more AFL ready body and senior experience, and Bastinac is an endurance running machine.

Then again, Scully could just as likely run out and have a blinder V Freo this week, we shall wait and see. If he has another sub 18 possie game then he is probably in need of a rest.

If you take out each players best 2 games, then Hannaberry is statistically running last out of the four players.

and Bastinac is an endurance running machine.

But that's the point, I think that their respective best games are important and should come into consideration for the award. Consistency is also important.

It's worth noting that Scully and Bastinac grew up playing footy together and that Scully always had him when it came to endurance running. According to Peter Bastinac, the Father of Ryan, Scully was always first and Bastinac second (as this article attests), so there's no reason that Scully won't run the year out well. Bastinac's Dad was the coach.

"When Scully moved to Narre Warren Junior Football Club and teamed up with Ryan, Peter Bastinac, the under-14 and 15 coach, was blown away by Scully's talents."He was always in front of every run we ever did.

It didn't matter what we were doing, he would always train hard and was always a standout," Bastinac said.

"Ryan could never get him. It was always Tom first, Ryan second, but they pushed each other pretty hard. Tom was very disciplined. I think he's just one of those kids who are born with a talent and he's making the most of it."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/tom-scully-the-tank-engine/story-e6frexx0-1225797556352

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Rising Star Winner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back