2010 Rising Star Winner

Remove this Banner Ad

There's some great names fighting for the award this year, Hannaberry, Bastinac, Scully, Trengove etc but it's a real shame Martin isn't eligable, he would have made it very interesting. Could very well be the future top 3 or 4 mids in the comp in years to come.

Scully had another very good game and it looks like he's back to full form, but it's definitely not won yet, will depend on all the games this year.

Great to watch

Brad, Basta has had 13 and 10 possessions the last two weeks. It's a long season and it seems to be catching up to him.

In need of a rest ?

Yep, he has tailed off badly in the last fortnight to the point where he is probably now out of calculations.

We should probably rest him but I doubt we have anyone fit left to come in for him.

Sam Wright (concussion) - test
Scott McMahon (knee) - 2 weeks
Lindsay Thomas (knee) - 2 weeks
Majak Daw (knee) - 2 weeks
Cruize Garlett (calf) 3 weeks
Liam Anthony (shoulder) - 3-4 weeks
Robbie Tarrant (thumb) - 4 weeks
Jack Ziebell (leg) - indefinite
Ben Ross (hip/groin) - indefinite
Aaron Black (hip) - indefinite
Drew Petrie (foot) - indefinite

We can now add Grima, Pratt, Wells and possibly Hansen and Campbell to that list.

It isn't pretty. Wright looks like the only one that will return. We might struggle to win another game this year.

Trengove for mine (I would have Martin ahead if eligible).

I think first year players performances should be given extra weight in the award as the others have the benefit of an extra year at an AFL club, which is quite a sizeable advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you realise that still means Hannebery was the best this week?

Hannebery was ok this week. I was at the game and kept a close eye on him. Whilst I don't agree with Robert Walls who, whilst commentating on 3AW, said that Scully took the honours, I don't think there was any standout. Hannebery got more of the ball, but didn't hurt us whatsoever. Most were dinky handballs under pressure backwards and forwards with teammates under similar pressure.

So I wouldn't pay any attention to the raw stats on this one.

Hannebery was ok this week. I was at the game and kept a close eye on him. Whilst I don't agree with Robert Walls who, whilst commentating on 3AW, said that Scully took the honours, I don't think there was any standout. Hannebery got more of the ball, but didn't hurt us whatsoever. Most were dinky handballs under pressure backwards and forwards with teammates under similar pressure.

This is why I believe all three of Scully, Trengove and Bastinac will eventually go past Hannaberry as players.

However, there was bugger all between them on the weekend and Hannaberry is probably a good game and a half ahead of the next contender (Trengove).

I think Scully needs 2 big games to catch him and Bastinac probably needs 3 big games.

IMO, only Trengove can reel him in from here.

It doesn't really matter anyway, the rising star is an award with a fairly limited scope.

Not sure I agree with that - but we have different coloured glasses on. From where I was sitting (my couch), Hannebury was - along with Goodes and just a couple of other team mates - a player who put his body on the line to try to stop the carnage. Sure, it wasn't easy to achieve much with the pressure Melbourne were applying and the lack of prowess from close to all the Swans team. But the way he tried to do what was within his power to get the Swans back was quite impressive for someone so young. No doubt there have been times during the season when the Dees have been getting pumped and you've been similarly impressed by Trengove and/or Scully's efforts not to be overwhelmed by the flood going in the opposite direction.

Not sure I agree with that - but we have different coloured glasses on. From where I was sitting (my couch), Hannebury was - along with Goodes and just a couple of other team mates - a player who put his body on the line to try to stop the carnage. Sure, it wasn't easy to achieve much with the pressure Melbourne were applying and the lack of prowess from close to all the Swans team. But the way he tried to do what was within his power to get the Swans back was quite impressive for someone so young. No doubt there have been times during the season when the Dees have been getting pumped and you've been similarly impressed by Trengove and/or Scully's efforts not to be overwhelmed by the flood going in the opposite direction.

That's true. He did put his hand up. My point was that despite the amount of ball he got he would have had other games with similar tallys where his effectiveness would have been far superior. In other words, I wouldn't say that he was a clear winner for the round on that performance.

Btw, I really like him as a player, but I may be a bit bias. He went to the school I did and he's very good mates with my Nephew. I wanted him at the Dees.

Not sure a vanilla midfielder like Hannebery deserves the award. Given it's Trengove/Scully's first year and they've had no pre season their form is much more impressive.
First of all would you like to elaborate on why you believe Hanners is vanilla?:eek:

Secondly Hanners was a bottom aged draftee hence his first pre season was this year. He only played last year becuase we were so shit, he was still in school (ala Jack Watts).

Their best which we are yet to see, will set them apart but right now Hanneberys' form is just as good (if not better) than Scully, Trengove or Bastinac.

Watched Hannerbery very closely yesterday.

very average player, especially considering its his 2nd year and hes a midfielder.

Is not even in the same stratosphere as Scully and Trengove.

My top 5 for the award

1. Jack Trengove
2. Tom Scully
3. Jordie McKenzie
4. Jack Watts
5. Ryan Bastinac

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Rising Star Winner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back