May 24, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal
45170799.png

38233776.png

Loving that you're doing this from Round 1 - will be interesting to see who falls away in the coming weeks, and if a Wellingham or Russell or player of that sort can hang around, against the odds.

It's Michael Rischitelli too, not Mark. ;)

Props to you AG. Good looking list based solely on round 1, cant find a solid argument against any of it, like just about everything you do on BF.

Barlow, Wellingham, Russell and Hooker. Weird seeing those names in a top 50. But they were all terrific so fair enough really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loving that you're doing this from Round 1 - will be interesting to see who falls away in the coming weeks, and if a Wellingham or Russell or player of that sort can hang around, against the odds.

It's Michael Rischitelli too, not Mark. ;)

Going by the end of his season last year (most votes in the B&F in the last third of the season or so), I reckon Russell will surprise many this year. Looks like going from a wasted top 10 pick to a player well and truly worth the selection (particularly considering the 'talent' taken after him) in the space of a year. :thumbsu:

Great work, AG. Not sure I'd have Waite or Simpson ahead of the three Blues that missed (thought Kade was very sloppy early but finished strong) but not much to seperate them. Love that you're doing this from round 1.

Round 1 performances. Bit hard because there isn't a form line so I've really just taken the best players from each match and tried to put them in some sort of order.

Was just wondering why Carazzo was ranked 4th for the round - thought it might be some sort of statistically based ranking.

Was just wondering why Carazzo was ranked 4th for the round - thought it might be some sort of statistically based ranking.
He was pretty good though. Normally he is just a possession whore but I thought he set up a lot against Richmond. Added pressure with being captain as well. Not sure if was the 4th best overall but he was BOG in his game so I sort of just put each BOG near the top, rather than compare them to players from other games.

Great list! How many games do you actually see for each round? Not a criticism but a curiosity.
Normally about 5. This week I saw Rich v Carl, Geel v Ess, Syd v Stk and Coll v Wbd. Half of Melb v Haw. Quarter of Port v Nth. Had Freo v Adelaide on in the background but didn't really watch it. Saw nothing of Lions v Eagles.

Great work, AG. Not sure I'd have Waite or Simpson ahead of the three Blues that missed (thought Kade was very sloppy early but finished strong) but not much to seperate them. Love that you're doing this from round 1.
Waite was a definite. Simpson was the iffy one. Hard game to rate though. A lot of the Blues were good, so it was an even team performance.

He was pretty good though. Normally he is just a possession whore but I thought he set up a lot against Richmond. Added pressure with being captain as well. Not sure if was the 4th best overall but he was BOG in his game so I sort of just put each BOG near the top, rather than compare them to players from other games.

Fair enough. I thought he was reasonably good too (not as cheap as usual) but personally I'd have the BOG in a Richmond game 8th of all the BOGs, and possibly even behind the 2nd BOG of a high quality game.

But I'm just nitpicking. Definitely a good effort.

Great effort.

Do you feel under pressure to watch as many games as you can, or are you happy to base your rankings on newspaper reports?

Be interesting to see how your list compares to some of the publications a little down the track.

Do you feel under pressure to watch as many games as you can, or are you happy to base your rankings on newspaper reports?
None at all. I'm just a random on the internet.

For the games I miss I'd rather use the opinions of some BF posters who I know give a good account of games. Sometimes I wonder if the journalists actually watch the whole game based on some of the match reports I read.

Subscribed... this was great last year.

Ablett a victim of his own high standards? 37 touches and ranked 18th behind Betts is a bit harsh I would have thought.
One of those high possession games were he didn't really do as much as he normally does. Probably a victim of his high standards though but it's hard to judge those types of performances because he has been so good for so long.

Betts was excellent and played more of a role in winning the match.

Haven't seen the match yet. I'll watch the replay in 10 minutes. I'd say Brown will be no.1 regardless though. With Riewoldt and Barlow top 3. Depends if Hodge or Bartel dominate tomorrow as well.

Watched the replay, I didn't think Barlow was as good as last week so I'd probably have him 3rd now. Top 5 at this stage is Brown, Riewoldt, Barlow, Sandilands, Brennan. Just wait and see how Geelong v Hawthorn goes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2010 Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Back