2010 Western Jets Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

the structure is confusing the players appear confused and so do the spectators.
Structure? I'm not real convinced they have one to tell you the truth. There doesn't seem much system in moving the ball from one end of the ground to the other.

It'll be a long year if they clear the 50m arc out for Conway and Fortune. Fortune particularly times his leads well and has pace to get off his opponent, he'll be a good player don't get me wrong, but I'd like to see others able to showcase their ability inside fifty.

Casley going off hurt them, it robbed them of height which is something they lack anyway. Garland despite having a fair bit to learn does have a few reasonable qualities, I hope he'll be given a chance to show those in coming weeks.

:mad:Well done Jets another 4 or 5 changes for this weeks game against Oakleigh thats 9 players dropped in 2 games at this rate they will run out of players by round 5.
Install some faith in the players for more than 1 game for god sake :thumbsdown:

In a positve spin for the Jets, i saw the 16s play mid week, and gee were they impressive. I dare say wel see a few of these boys in the 18s later in the year as well as representing the metro later this year.

Smashed Eastern by close o 10 goals and rested a number of their better players in the last quarter. apparently have beaten Calder and another team quite comfortably without a host of their better players. Play Sand at Chirnside next Wed morning, just apity we dont get to c them against northern.

Some of the players pushing for at least the intial training squad for metro should be Micalef, Brown, Matheson, Hunter, Piva, Brancastalano, Elkasovic, Oshea, White plus a few others that wouldnt surprise either.

:thumbsu:I heard the 16's are looking good which is great for the future of the club and the competition lets hope they dont get treated like the current group
of u18 boys when they step up.

A word of encouragement from the coaching staff at the breaks would do wonders - the Jets players need constructive criticism and not a spray of every 4 letter word in the dictionary plus more.

I am surprised AFL VIC put up with it.

Well done Jets another 4 or 5 changes for this weeks game against Oakleigh thats 9 players dropped in 2 games at this rate they will run out of players by round 5
Casley would be enforced due to injury, same with Fairley. Are they included in the four or five changes?

Is a bit alarming that House and Jones have been added to their list after two weeks of footy though and have been named in their starting 18. Doesn't instill a lot of confidence in the blokes they did put on their main list and give a jumper to, nor reflect that well on the clubs ability to select a list of players in the first place. I realise other TAC Cup clubs will play with their lists too, but two weeks in smacks of a club whose hit the panic button and appears a massive overreaction given it was only 20 minutes of footy that cost the Jets last weekend.

That said, Oakleigh should demolish them tomorrow even without Gaff.

the jets look in a bit of trouble from there 'what could have been' list last year that turned to ruins, but however the tac is about kids getting drafted and i certainly agree with you footyman in saying that a master of one postion is better then a "jack of all"

Yes your right House is ex Calder Cannons and I believe Taylor-Jones is ex Sandringham Dragons but I could stand corrected.
Sexton Chairman of the selection committee big conflict of interest.:thumbsdown:

I have seen the last couple of games and I think the small forward line used bu the jets is not working. I think a tall along side Conway up forward is the go?
Thoughts gents.
How many more goes does sneddon get?

I have seen the last couple of games and I think the small forward line used bu the jets is not working. I think a tall along side Conway up forward is the go?
Where do they get the tall forward from?

Round 1 they tried two talls in Garland and Sortino forward and neither got near it.

I agree with what you suggest, but I'm not sure they have the talls there to put the theory into practice. They could pull Fairley from the backline to go forward perhaps. I wanted to see Casley go forward but he's out for a bit longer. Tudor is competent overhead...perhaps they should consider him?

Where do they get the tall forward from?

Round 1 they tried two talls in Garland and Sortino forward and neither got near it.

I agree with what you suggest, but I'm not sure they have the talls there to put the theory into practice. They could pull Fairley from the backline to go forward perhaps. I wanted to see Casley go forward but he's out for a bit longer. Tudor is competent overhead...perhaps they should consider him?

Round 1 the ball didn't come down. Got smashed in the middle.
I think with conway up forward who changes with fortune, might just be the tonic for a sortino or tudar.
They have tried resting the rucks, so why not persist with their tall forwards.
Give them a go.

Round 1 the ball didn't come down. Got smashed in the middle.
I think with conway up forward who changes with fortune, might just be the tonic for a sortino or tudar.
They have tried resting the rucks, so why not persist with their tall forwards.
Give them a go.
It did come down, perhaps not very well, but it did come down. My stats show the inside 50s for the game were 46-40, Calder's way.

In that first game Kefford and Talia were the opponents on Sortino and Garland, the Calder boys shared 7 possessions between them in the first quarter, those two Jets boys did not touch the footy. The Jets FF was led to the ball and showed little intensity on a number of occassions. I recall Talia taking three simple marks without any pressure on him at all.

Yeah the midfield supply was crap, but if your midfield is filled with wonky kicks the best place to be is in front which is why Fortune and Conway have at least been able to kick goals.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Jets should persist with their taller players. But if those tall forwards think they were hard done by they need a reality check.

It will be a long year for the Jets, keep playing the bottom age kids, the overage boys this year are only holding back the young kids.

Kavanagh is the real standout with elite running ability and an excellent mover.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After only 3 games into the year the Jets have an average losing margin of 59 points so why is this happening - let me shed my opinion on it.

The top age boys who are on the list and there are 5 of them have so far failed to deliver, granted Morris has been out injured and Fortune has been stuck in the FWD line but Giles, Grey and Sneddon have been poor choices in hindsight.

Giles and Sneddon if selected for there height have relinquished the #1 ruck role to young Dylan Jones who in his first year is doing a great job without much support.

The Jets continue to play boys on previous years reputations, as we all know not only in football but all sports kids that we think are going to be world beaters often disappear into thin air.

Hylton, Taylor and Jawad have done little to impress but are still getting a game on there reputation of years gone by or there private school scholarships.

Hoskin - Elliot a fantastic young player who must be in line for an under age selection to GWS as McKenzie did when he went to Gold Coast came from a midfield on ball back ground and kicking 60 odd goals in a year at his local club only to be stuck in the backline.

Why don't the boys play in the positions with the Jets that made them stand outs with there local clubs in the first place.

Tudor at 190 cm rucked at his local club, Sortino was a gun FF yet the Jets don't seem to recognise this, I agree kids have to be versatile but when your getting flogged every week lets go back to basics play kids in the correct positions, play in form players, if the opposition is tall play your talls to even the match ups, and be honest with the boys who miss out each week tell them where they are going wrong or what is required for them to get a game and stop the feeding them shit.

During the game against the Cannons I saw Marty Allison come up to the stand to speak to the parents of one of his boys to explain a strategy that he had asked him to play.
Ahh nothing like good old fashioned communication.

Why don't the boys play in the positions with the Jets that made them stand outs with there local clubs in the first place.
Exactly.

Not that I want to sound like I'm potting the Jets, but they seem intent on putting the cart before the horse. They really should be letting players begin with what is comfortable and progressing to the difficult after they have mastered the basics. It was quite clear in praccy games that a few guys were struggling to master the tempo of TAC Cup footy, without needing to master a position they have never played before. IMO, that same mentality cost two or three players a chance to be drafted last season.

What's done is done, but I do hope they can salvage something out of this season. Sandringham showed last week that a team's fortunes can change quite quickly if everybody works in the same direction.

Exactly.

Not that I want to sound like I'm potting the Jets, but they seem intent on putting the cart before the horse. They really should be letting players begin with what is comfortable and progressing to the difficult after they have mastered the basics. It was quite clear in praccy games that a few guys were struggling to master the tempo of TAC Cup footy, without needing to master a position they have never played before. IMO, that same mentality cost two or three players a chance to be drafted last season.

What's done is done, but I do hope they can salvage something out of this season. Sandringham showed last week that a team's fortunes can change quite quickly if everybody works in the same direction.

I agree. Look at the Knights, dragons and charges. Persist with players in known positions and move and provide coaching skill to have them adapt to other positions. Dorvan an example. A strong leading forward who can now play back.
Jets have hit the panic button. Why change things and not persist over 2 or 3 weeks.
Another long season already on the cards.
I'll be amazed if sneddon and Jmac get a game.

I agree. Look at the Knights, dragons and charges. Persist with players in known positions and move and provide coaching skill to have them adapt to other positions. Dorvan an example. A strong leading forward who can now play back.
Jets have hit the panic button. Why change things and not persist over 2 or 3 weeks.
Another long season already on the cards.
I'll be amazed if sneddon and Jmac get a game.

Prepare to be amazed logical, to my knowledge both Sneddon & Jmac are in the 24.

I'll be heading to watch these boys tomorrow, hopefully they'll put on a better performace, though the Knights have been good.

Who are the lads I should keep an eye on?

Thanks.

Northern knights should have beaten the Jets by more than 38 points but inclement weather in the first half and the Knights free kicks against the Jets kept Western in the game.
Very interested to read coach Kretiuks comments in the Herald Sun praising Taylor-Jones who did nothing and had 4 goals kicked on him and Rafferty who did even less.
No wonder the Jets cant win a game when obviously they are coached by a complete DICK HEAD.
Give praise when it's due both those boys should be dropped in a fortnight for the trip to Shepparton against the Bushrangers, along with about 6 others (read previuos threads)
none of those boys improved either.

Northern knights should have beaten the Jets by more than 38 points but inclement weather in the first half and the Knights free kicks against the Jets kept Western in the game.
Very interested to read coach Kretiuks comments in the Herald Sun praising Taylor-Jones who did nothing and had 4 goals kicked on him and Rafferty who did even less.
No wonder the Jets cant win a game when obviously they are coached by a complete DICK HEAD.
Give praise when it's due both those boys should be dropped in a fortnight for the trip to Shepparton against the Bushrangers, along with about 6 others (read previuos threads)
none of those boys improved either.
I agree with your sentiments about the margin. The umpiring was a joke at times and heavily favoured the Jets, especially in the second quarter. Despite their five goal last quarter with the wind, it's important to note the Knights also kicked five goals into a very strong wind.

Their best four players yesterday were clear cut - Stephens, Kavanagh, Kennedy and Hoskin-Elliott. No pats on the back for anyone else. Too many non contributors.

Watching them yesterday I couldn't help but think their biggest problem is that they hand games out on a platter to some guys and a few of them have developed this sense of mediocrity. Might be time to wake a few of them up and send them back to the WRFL for a week or two. The reduction in interchange from 6 to 4 from next round will also remove the excuse a few guys will have about not getting enough ground time.

I'm not going to get into the coaching argument because I don't know what goes on down there. From afar, I've got a bit of time for Kretiuk and think he's a good fit for the Jets, but I think it's fair to say his first month of the season hasn't been great and the next few weeks will be a true test of his coaching ability, and more importantly his ability to make tough decisions.

Taylor-Jones who did nothing and had 4 goals kicked on him and Rafferty who did even less.

i was there watching the game and taylor jones had about 6 disposals to bardens 0 in the first quarter and beat him in most 1 on 1s and then injured his shoulder late in the 1st. Barden only kicked 3 of his goals on jones, two of which were handball recieves into an open goal, i thought his efforts were quite good. Also i thought rafferty was hard at it all day and deserved to be named in the jets better players, its not all about the statistics boys.

i was there watching the game and taylor jones had about 6 disposals to bardens 0 in the first quarter and beat him in most 1 on 1s and then injured his shoulder late in the 1st. Barden only kicked 3 of his goals on jones, two of which were handball recieves into an open goal, i thought his efforts were quite good. Also i thought rafferty was hard at it all day and deserved to be named in the jets better players, its not all about the statistics boys.

I too was at the ground for the games and thought the Jets put in their best performance so far.
Still players in the side that shouldn't be and maybe should be sent back to local club. I think Stephens was outstanding. Sneddon needs to go.
I still would like to see the Jets adopt what the Knights did and have a 2 prong tall attack. Eastern did the same as did the chargers. Maybe in time they might try this. Jets started to win some centre clearances but still got smashed in the ruck.
Some positive signs.

Hoskin - Elliot a fantastic young player who must be in line for an under age selection to GWS as McKenzie did when he went to Gold Coast came from a midfield on ball back ground and kicking 60 odd goals in a year at his local club only to be stuck in the backline.

I play footy with Will and he is amazing, reminds of Brett Burton he has the most amazing pair of hands.

Was at Hoppers last Sat to see the game against Sunshine. Sneddon played in the 2's and to be honest didn't have much of an impact at all, not trying to pot the bloke but I was expecting to see him stand out. Sure with his height he did ok in the middle but had no real impact around the ground. He looked liked someone who was down on form, down on confidence and not sure where his footy was heading. If this is what has been shown so far this year with the Jets, and perhaps due to lack of time on the ground as a direct result, the Jets should be sent back to Hoppers for 3 - 4 weeks, get more time on the ground and try to get his confidence back.

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Western Jets Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back