2010 Western Jets Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Was at Hoppers last Sat to see the game against Sunshine. Sneddon played in the 2's and to be honest didn't have much of an impact at all, not trying to pot the bloke but I was expecting to see him stand out. Sure with his height he did ok in the middle but had no real impact around the ground. He looked liked someone who was down on form, down on confidence and not sure where his footy was heading. If this is what has been shown so far this year with the Jets, and perhaps due to lack of time on the ground as a direct result, the Jets should be sent back to Hoppers for 3 - 4 weeks, get more time on the ground and try to get his confidence back.
He was named best in the Hoppers 2s and I heard he did alright. Maybe that's his level, but he isn't the first tall bloke to take a long time to develop and he sure won't be the last.

Seems a lot of Jets are down on confidence. Hopefully all connected with the club are pulling together, that's the best way of turning their form around. Fingers crossed it happens on Saturday for them up at Murray. Thoughts on this weeks team?

B House Garland Kennedy
HB Stephens Giles Hoskin-Elliott
C Del Papa Borg Huxtable
HF Mead Fortune Gray
F McLellan Allen Taylor
R Jones Jones Rafferty
Int Sortino Smith Jawad Dorgan Fairley Raftopoulos Schibeci Sneddon

Was at Hoppers last Sat to see the game against Sunshine. Sneddon played in the 2's and to be honest didn't have much of an impact at all, not trying to pot the bloke but I was expecting to see him stand out. Sure with his height he did ok in the middle but had no real impact around the ground. He looked liked someone who was down on form, down on confidence and not sure where his footy was heading. If this is what has been shown so far this year with the Jets, and perhaps due to lack of time on the ground as a direct result, the Jets should be sent back to Hoppers for 3 - 4 weeks, get more time on the ground and try to get his confidence back.

I agree. Lots more upside to playing Benny Stretton - 196cm bottom age. Put games into this young lad and see how he goes. Nothing at all to lose.

He was named best in the Hoppers 2s and I heard he did alright. Maybe that's his level, but he isn't the first tall bloke to take a long time to develop and he sure won't be the last.

Seems a lot of Jets are down on confidence. Hopefully all connected with the club are pulling together, that's the best way of turning their form around. Fingers crossed it happens on Saturday for them up at Murray. Thoughts on this weeks team?

B House Garland Kennedy
HB Stephens Giles Hoskin-Elliott
C Del Papa Borg Huxtable
HF Mead Fortune Gray
F McLellan Allen Taylor
R Jones Jones Rafferty
Int Sortino Smith Jawad Dorgan Fairley Raftopoulos Schibeci Sneddon
Once again one poor quarter of footy has cost the Jets there first win of the season against the Murray Bushrangers.
In pouring rain the Bushrangers kept the Jets scoreless in the 3rd quarter and held on to win by 4 goals.
McLellan played well down back in lieu of his favoured forward role and Sortino a good replacement for Sneddon with good big man ruck work and 10 tackles made him a good inclusion.The Jets do seem a more settled side without Sneddon on the field.
Hoskin-Elliot was once again the stand out player until coming off in the last quarter with a hand injury.
Gray needs to do more as a 19 year old and Schibeci looks like he needs a few more runs with his local side.
Garland at full back battled hard against the 4cm taller Star-Hossack and held him to 2 goals for the game.
With Morris and Casley both due back possibly this week a win against Gippsland Power might be the tonic coach Kretiuk needs to give some confidence to his young charges.
I wouldn't expect to many changes at the selection table this week.

McLellan played well down back in lieu of his favoured forward role
Interesting. Doesn't work anywhere near hard enough up forward, perhaps a few weeks back might switch him on.

The Selector said:
Gray needs to do more as a 19 year old
Agree. Too many 12-15 possession games, he's output needs to be upwards of 20 on a consistent basis given the role he plays.

The Selector said:
Garland at full back battled hard against the 4cm taller Star-Hossack and held him to 2 goals for the game.
That's his go, has a relatively strong build and has shown he's capable in that role. Now needs to start taking marks, and using the ball well on the rebound.

The Selector said:
a win against Gippsland Power might be the tonic coach Kretiuk needs to give some confidence to his young charges.
Gippsland are horrible, fair chance of the Jets knocking them off.

Hoskin-Elliot was once again the stand out player until coming off in the last quarter with a hand injury. With Morris and Casley both due back possibly this week a win against Gippsland Power might be the tonic coach Kretiuk needs to give some confidence to his young charges. I wouldn't expect to many changes at the selection table this week.[/quote said:
Looks like Hoskin Elliot will be out for a few weeks with a fractured right hand. Morris should be right, not certain about Casley. Perhaps 2 changes this week.

Perhaps 2 changes this week.
They can chop and change the team all they like, they'll be lucky to win a game or two this season. Sad fact is everyone appears to be giving 100%, they just don't have the talent or skill to compete even with ordinary sides like Gippsland, who like the Jets had not won a game prior to today.

This squad would have to be the worst they've had in a decade, and they've had some shockers.

I doubt it will be long before we see them start playing some of their 16 year olds.

They can chop and change the team all they like, they'll be lucky to win a game or two this season. Sad fact is everyone appears to be giving 100%, they just don't have the talent or skill to compete even with ordinary sides like Gippsland, who like the Jets had not won a game prior to today.

This squad would have to be the worst they've had in a decade, and they've had some shockers.

I doubt it will be long before we see them start playing some of their 16 year olds.

Bendigo has already started. Jake Stringer played today at Stawell against the Rebels only three weekends after playing in the U/16 Carnival at Bendigo.

Bendigo has already started. Jake Stringer played today at Stawell against the Rebels only three weekends after playing in the U/16 Carnival at Bendigo.
I'm not a massive fan of clubs doing it, but I'd rather see a talented player whose two years off being drafted play, than see a top ager or a 19 year old who has no hope.

Do you know if there's still any restriction on the number of games a 16 year old can play during the season Grimmett?

Jets were terrible Sunday. To many players that can't dispose of the ball to a team-mate 30 meters away. They regularly go long to a contest, (or to a blade of grass) rather than a shorter kick to a man on his own, because they have no confidence to hit the target. The easiest option. Honestly, it's like watching under 12's. Too many players think they are good enough to train at 60% effort during the week, then play well on the weekend. Or they reward themselve with an easy night of rehab when they do play well. News flash boys 'YOU PLAY HOW YOU TRAIN - GET OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE AT TRAINING!!!" Then, when you do have to get a kick away under pressure, you might actually hit up a target.

Jets were terrible Sunday. To many players that can't dispose of the ball to a team-mate 30 meters away. They regularly go long to a contest, (or to a blade of grass) rather than a shorter kick to a man on his own, because they have no confidence to hit the target. The easiest option. Honestly, it's like watching under 12's. Too many players think they are good enough to train at 60% effort during the week, then play well on the weekend. Or they reward themselve with an easy night of rehab when they do play well. News flash boys 'YOU PLAY HOW YOU TRAIN - GET OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE AT TRAINING!!!" Then, when you do have to get a kick away under pressure, you might actually hit up a target.

hoopsnake, are you going to name names, or will they continue to get away with their bad habits???

Hoopsnake, seems like your saying there's too many players down there who have made it this far on reputation or by playing well enough at local league level, who may never have had to push themselves to do that, natural ability got them there. Now that they are playing on the big stage week in week out, they have the same preperation and expect to turn it on game day and now appears some are getting caught out.

I would have thought the coaching panel could see which players who thought they were giving 100% at training (when obviously not) and therefore see who had capacity to increase their workload, which would correct the above apparent problem.

So is it a playing group issue / coaching issue / both??

I think half the problem is that on training nights and sometimes on game day the assistant coaches dont show up and half the training drills are overseen by the club runners.
The boys are certainly getting mixed messages from everyone on the coaching staff.

The problem is they were changing the side week in week out after one bad game after round one there was probaly 5 changes
the coach says at the start of the season I don't care if we don't win games I'm here to get people drafted but then he plays guys for pressure who aren't going to get drafted also on this note I'm not naming a name but he praised the efforts of a player who got less then 5 touches because he looked enthusiastic.
Sceptic I agree with every thing you said but have the guts to name the boys it was Garland and Taylor-Jones not because they looked enthusiastic but because they followed the game plan issued to them prior to the start of the game.
Some boys got 15 touches and and did there own thing whether we agree with the plan or not it has to be adhered to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sceptic I agree with every thing you said but have the guts to name the boys it was Garland and Taylor-Jones not because they looked enthusiastic but because they followed the game plan issued to them prior to the start of the game.
Some boys got 15 touches and and did there own thing whether we agree with the plan or not it has to be adhered to.
no no no I agree with talor jones I was referring to ben sortino

Sceptic.
Obviously, you don't understand what the coach instructs the boys.
The 2 big boys have both done an excellent job which has kept an over age boy out of the side.
Maybe if some of the "stars" start to shine and not get a game on reputation, then maybe things may pick up.
Seems you are targetting some of them????
Why name one boy, when 6 got named who showed enthusiasm and had less than 10 touches.

Sceptic.
Obviously, you don't understand what the coach instructs the boys.
The 2 big boys have both done an excellent job which has kept an over age boy out of the side.
Maybe if some of the "stars" start to shine and not get a game on reputation, then maybe things may pick up.
Seems you are targetting some of them????
Why name one boy, when 6 got named who showed enthusiasm and had less than 10 touches.
Good point I see where your comming from you obviously know more then me about the jets

sceptic, you obviously know *** all about footy.

jones is an out and out key backman who is a key for the jets this year. he doesn't need to get more than 10 touches a game to play a good game. look at prestigiacomo, all-aus nominee and would be lucky to get 5 touches a game.

if he shuts down the opposition power forward, he's played his role and probably should be in the best. don't forget that he's done this all last year in APS footy. the kid knows what he's doing, get off his back

jones is an out and out key backman who is a key for the jets this year. he doesn't need to get more than 10 touches a game to play a good game. look at prestigiacomo, all-aus nominee and would be lucky to get 5 touches a game.

if he shuts down the opposition power forward, he's played his role and probably should be in the best. don't forget that he's done this all last year in APS footy. the kid knows what he's doing, get off his back
Over The Top beautifully said I agree 110% the job of the back man is to stop the forwards from scoring goals if that means punching and spoiling the ball all day with no kicks he has done his job. Garland and Huxtable do that.
Taylor-Jones does that and more every week.

You obviously don't listen I never said Taylor jones was bad

the coach says at the start of the season I don't care if we don't win games I'm here to get people drafted but then he plays guys for pressure who aren't going to get drafted also on this note I'm not naming a name but he praised the efforts of a player who got less then 5 touches because he looked enthusiastic.
Well they aren't winning games, nor are they looking like a team filled with AFL prospects for the future. They might get one drafted if they are lucky.

Realistically how many players won their position last week? The Jets have to name six best players for the website, last week they had considerably less than that deserving of the honour. It is somewhat strange that the bloke who spent most of the day playing on Gippsland's best player found his way into the Jets best, but must have satisfied some criteria the coaches asked of the team.

Over The Top beautifully said I agree 110% the job of the back man is to stop the forwards from scoring goals if that means punching and spoiling the ball all day with no kicks he has done his job. Garland and Huxtable do that.
Taylor-Jones does that and more every week.
Didnt his opponent kick 4 goals last week?? As a forward, if I have 5 kicks and kick 4 goals I have done my job

Well they aren't winning games, nor are they looking like a team filled with AFL prospects for the future. They might get one drafted if they are lucky.

FM - Understand that the Jets philosophy is to get players up to a draftable standard first and foremost, not to win games of football. Seems to me the way they are going they should turns this around and start to coach to win games. Players must be down on confidence / doubting themselves when approaching a contest or trying to hit up targets, questioning their own ability. By creating a winning culture shouldn't this go along way towards bringing out the best in the playing group?

FM - Understand that the Jets philosophy is to get players up to a draftable standard first and foremost, not to win games of football. Seems to me the way they are going they should turns this around and start to coach to win games. Players must be down on confidence / doubting themselves when approaching a contest or trying to hit up targets, questioning their own ability. By creating a winning culture shouldn't this go along way towards bringing out the best in the playing group?
The two go hand in hand don't they?

The footy they are currently playing isn't going to win games, and it isn't going to get anybody drafted.

I agree with you - if a side is playing good footy, then the players confidence grows, they begin to show more AFL traits that recruiters look for.

I have no doubt in the past that some players have been drafted because they just happen to be part of a successful TAC Cup club. Being in a winning team/culture/environment makes average players look better than they really are.

What I find disappointing is that the coach made similar mistakes last year with the way he went about this so called 'player development' and the Jets went from having a handful of draftees preseason to just one and a rookie.

whats all this crap talk about taylor jones

the kid kicked more than half the jets score yesterday and has been in the best the last few weeks. clearly is one of your better few players.

no wonder you guys are playing so bad, maybe if you focused more on the negative issues at the club like all this 'trash talk' you might improve and win a game. go have a bonding session and boost the moral you guys have some potential to play well. first quater against oakleigh showed that.

ex oh ex oh gossip girl

.... jack watts is a hack

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Western Jets Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back