2010 Western Jets Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who was there care to give a report? Who played well? Why the turnaround in form? And how did a side whose struggled to kick more than 10 goals in games this year end up kicking 23 yesterday?

It was fantastic to watch! Great effort by the jets with 10 different goal kickers the boys worked well together and played as a team. Casely kicked 4, Taylor Jones kicked 4, Nathan Giles kicked 4 and Jesse fortune 3. It was great to see them make good decisions in the 50 instead of just kicking it in they looked for options and found them
with Casely, Jones and Giles who had good strong hands. Hard to name soild contributors when they all worked hard together - besides the 20 odd 50 metre penalities the umpires were giving away it was a great day for them. Will be interesting to see them against the falcons next week when they have players still out for the national champs. They have a better percentage than gws so it would be good to see them cement their spot in the finals.

I'm not involved or a watcher of TAC U18 comp, but being a footy follower do check out the results of the Cannons & Jets.

Party as I live in Hillside & have a young son in the early stages of his football life, you maybe hope one day he might aspire to this & be good enough.

The Jets seem to struggle year in year out.

Reading the past few pages some have offered reasons for this.

My question is are the zones evenly divided for the Jets & Cannons?

Are the zones related to where you reside or which local clubs you play for.

I'm not involved or a watcher of TAC U18 comp, but being a footy follower do check out the results of the Cannons & Jets.

Party as I live in Hillside & have a young son in the early stages of his football life, you maybe hope one day he might aspire to this & be good enough.

The Jets seem to struggle year in year out.

Reading the past few pages some have offered reasons for this.

My question is are the zones evenly divided for the Jets & Cannons?

Are the zones related to where you reside or which local clubs you play for.

AFL Victoria uses residential address to determine TAC Cup eligibility.

Im pretty sure you play in the area you live in.
I think Suban played out there due to him boarding at school in the north ballarat region (i could be totally wrong though).

Not due to boarding school but due to Suban family and AFL Victoria negotiated agreement.
It's based on your residential (home) address unless otherwise agreed between clubs and/or families along with AFL Vic approval.

Thought there was some improvement in the Jets endeavour on the weekend, but they were close to full strength and still outclassed by a Falcons side missing 6 or 8 very talented types.

Surprised that Sam Stephens is running around in the WRFL. The Jets use him in a tagging role, but he's done it well this year and would have to have been among the few players in their side to actually win their position on the ground every week. Also noted Matt Garland was playing seniors for Keilor on the weekend too, not an easy side to break into.

There's a handful of other 17 and 18 year olds running around in local comps who either aren't on the Jets list, or have been on their list and done no good. Yet they go elsewhere and look alright - for some reason.

It was fantastic to watch! Great effort by the jets with 10 different goal kickers the boys worked well together and played as a team. Casely kicked 4, Taylor Jones kicked 4, Nathan Giles kicked 4 and Jesse fortune 3. It was great to see them make good decisions in the 50 instead of just kicking it in they looked for options and found them
with Casely, Jones and Giles who had good strong hands. Hard to name soild contributors when they all worked hard together - besides the 20 odd 50 metre penalities the umpires were giving away it was a great day for them. Will be interesting to see them against the falcons next week when they have players still out for the national champs. They have a better percentage than gws so it would be good to see them cement their spot in the finals.
I saw that game and the Jets played unreal. The onballers of Morris and Mead were great and Turnball, Fairley and Sortino down back were also strong. Giles, best game for the year was dominant. Fantastic to finally get a win

Thought there was some improvement in the Jets endeavour on the weekend, but they were close to full strength and still outclassed by a Falcons side missing 6 or 8 very talented types.

Surprised that Sam Stephens is running around in the WRFL. The Jets use him in a tagging role, but he's done it well this year and would have to have been among the few players in their side to actually win their position on the ground every week. Also noted Matt Garland was playing seniors for Keilor on the weekend too, not an easy side to break into.

There's a handful of other 17 and 18 year olds running around in local comps who either aren't on the Jets list, or have been on their list and done no good. Yet they go elsewhere and look alright - for some reason.
I agree with you footyman, though thought the jets were a bit flat. Even though Falcons had players out, still a great effort.
Was told Garland got a call from Maguane to play a role in Keilor seniors. Agree would be hard to break into that side, but they must see some promise in him.
I am amazed he is not playing jets as he is versitile not like some who are one dimentional

Spot on FM....thats because some players are either stereotyped or disregarded by the jets "talent watchers" who wouldnt know a football from a soccer ball. We have spoken on this forum until the cows come home about the jets idea of development or lack there-of and their desire to play players in 8 positions a game. The players who either dont make the list or dont get a regular game go back to their local clubs and do well because they are allowed to play footy in an environment where they play to win for each other, the team and the club unlike the jets where garden gnomes tell them each week they are playing for their careers and where the majority make up the numbers because the focus is on one or two kids to try and get them drafted. Kids want to play at the jets cos they see it as their meal ticket...not because they like it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is absurd, he knows little about the clubs internally and should let the clubs have more control. Only 19 year olds with Anton's approval can play, and he rejected some of the players the Jets wanted.

There is no set criteria which is a problem in itself. A bloke who played 22 career TAC Cup games was rejected, yet he approved one at another club who had played in excess of 30 games. There MUST be some concrete criteria drawn up, and perhaps a panel of AFL club scouts/recruiting managers who decide who they want to see play again.

If that bloke is who I think you are referring to he was Vic Metro u16 2007, played 4 good games for Jets 2008 before a stress fracture ended that season and hampered a 2009 pre-season. Despite this major set back he played every games for the Jets 2009, in the best most weeks, in top10 for all the major stats for the comp and TAC Team of the Year. Enormous motor, plenty of pace and a proven elite athlete. Apart from a slight knock on his kicking - why would Anton Grbac not cut this kid some slack? In the end footy has lost someone with huge potential to another sport. Go figure. Perhaps they were doing the kid a favour. Reading the local papers the kid went straight from footy back to athletics and is now running for Australia in Canada in the World Junior champs. - and seems to have sworn off footy because of the "system". Lucky he has choices - how many other Grbac discards don't?

If that bloke is who I think you are referring to he was Vic Metro u16 2007, played 4 good games for Jets 2008 before a stress fracture ended that season and hampered a 2009 pre-season. Despite this major set back he played every games for the Jets 2009, in the best most weeks, in top10 for all the major stats for the comp and TAC Team of the Year. Enormous motor, plenty of pace and a proven elite athlete. Apart from a slight knock on his kicking - why would Anton Grbac not cut this kid some slack? In the end footy has lost someone with huge potential to another sport. Go figure. Perhaps they were doing the kid a favour. Reading the local papers the kid went straight from footy back to athletics and is now running for Australia in Canada in the World Junior champs. - and seems to have sworn off footy because of the "system". Lucky he has choices - how many other Grbac discards don't?

Johnny Rayner was playing for Keilor seconds I believe on Saturday. Matt Garland and Mark Xuereb are two EDFL footballers who should be playing in the TAC- why arent they? Daniel Willcocks could and should have been given more opportunities last year and as a 19 year old could have been developed. Players such as White, Mullen, Sinnott and Beard were all discarded from Calder and would have added depth to Western yet they only took House. Getting most players from Keilor FC will help the Jets however they have to further develop Melton, Whyndam and Willy-Altona. They had a good 16s squad and they may turn things around- it would be great for the competition if they did.

Johnny Rayner was playing for Keilor seconds I believe on Saturday

You obviously read the same local papers as me, so why would you say Rayner is playing for Keilor seconds when you would know he is not even in the country? If he were to return to footy I don't think he'd be playing edfl 2nds footy. I understand he has a walk up offer with Williamstown, so perhaps we may still get to see him play at a reasonable level.

something going worng if these kids aren't down there. They are really doing well down at darley. Should really be up the next level

Cousins was on the list pre season
came to one training session and he didn't like it I spoke to him and he said the only reason he came down is because his parents said they'd kick him out of home if he didn't

Nice to see them have a win today, seems they will end up playing in the finals!

Anybody know, has Sam Stephens left the Jets or just not getting a game? He was one of about three players who they gave a wrap to about six weeks ago, now he's running around in the WRFL?

Nice to see them have a win today, seems they will end up playing in the finals!

Anybody know, has Sam Stephens left the Jets or just not getting a game? He was one of about three players who they gave a wrap to about six weeks ago, now he's running around in the WRFL?

Footyman, a good come from behind win. earlier in the year the 3 goal deficit at half time might have been too much to overcome. As far as Stephens go, i understand he is still on the list, training but can't get a game. I have heard that Raftopolous, Klix & Hernandez are no longer there

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Western Jets Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back