2011 AFL Grand Final on Blu Ray

Remove this Banner Ad

Short answer: No.

I got a Blu-ray Player via redemption when I purchased a new TV a couple of years ago. At the time I wouldn't have purchased one separately if I had to actually lay out extra cash for one. It is good in the sense that I can play my DVD's on it as well.

I can honestly report that unless you are a videophile and/or audiophile you are not going to be able to appreciate a significant difference between Blu-ray and DVD. Perhaps you might notice Blu-ray slightly superior for action movies, sporting events and nature documentaries, but I wouldn't rush out and buy one.

I can only assume you have a 24-inch TV or something...

The difference is substantial, particularly when watching sports. On some SD footy matches when they pull back to show a large portion of the ovals, you can't make out who individual players are. In HD there's no such problem.

Some comparison pictures of films on DVD and Blu Ray:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/617171-post5.html

Clearly you don't have a big TV then.

Ridiculous to suggest the difference is 'slight'.

I can only assume you have a 24-inch TV or something...

The difference is substantial, particularly when watching sports. On some SD footy matches when they pull back to show a large portion of the ovals, you can't make out who individual players are. In HD there's no such problem.

Some comparison pictures of films on DVD and Blu Ray:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/617171-post5.html

Fully agree with both of these. Difference is huge when viewing on a big screen tv, picture quality with dvd just doesn't compare to how crisp and vivid the blu ray images are.

Had a girlfriend once who would only wear a certain brand of silk knickers. When I asked her "Are they that different?" she simply said "watch this."

Get the blu-ray VC.
Listen to this man, on both counts.

There is a distinct difference between BR and DVD. If you've a 1080p screen, pop in any of the Alien films on DVD, then do the same film in BR (got the box-set recently - if you're even remotely a fan, buy this thing). Worlds apart. You can make out the specks of dust on the hyperspace sleep capsules in BR.

Agree.

Anyone that doesnt rate blu ray is kidding themselves.

I can watch a blu ray that would normally be a boring movie on dvd, but on blu ray, im engrossed in it.

That's nothing to be proud of.

I like HD, but it's not necessary for me.

Im not proud though?

Its just the effect it has on my attention span, I can stay focused and after it I can say "Wow what an intense movie!" Where as I know that if Id watched a dvd or torrent, i wouldnt have even finished watching it.

It easier to d/c from reality if what you're staring at is NOT blurry and muffled like a dvd.

It was an honest question as I have no experience with it.

I was on top of everything techo wise and then went into a self imposed black hole for 10 years. It's a huge time frame technology wise. I now know how 70 year olds feel with the internet.

I guess it's a bit like watching a movie without a surround sound setup?

We have a middle of the road setup. 40" LCD and a 3k surround sound setup.
Hooked up to a basic DVD and apple TV. Most of the stuff is just hosted on a pc upstairs in divx quality.

I'm also wary of making comparisons on sound and vision. Yeah sure a 24" with no surround sound is ordinary. 60" is excellent. a 20k sound system would be brilliant. But what is your threshold for feeling content?

I appreciate the better sound for sure. I spent $300 buying the beatles mono set when I could have easily downloaded it.

Somethings dont deserve short cuts.

I just wondered if a game of footy needed Blu Ray. It sounds like it does.

Had a girlfriend once who would only wear a certain brand of silk knickers. When I asked her "Are they that different?" she simply said "watch this."

Get the blu-ray VC.

OMG, quote of the year! :) Fantastic...and do you still have her number?

But seriously, if you have a 1080p TV then YES BD is that much better.
(provided it's not sourced from a lower spec master).

Did anyone order this from DVD Warehouse?

I got this message today:
Am so sorry but just spoken to the supplier regarding your order for "AFL - 2011 Premiers Grand Final Tin | Collector's Tin Set" and advised this title was pilled back from release due to some production issues.

However there is another exactly same version but at different barcode and so, and the price is more expensive at $57.95.

Please advise if you would like to cancel this order and get the refund or would you prefer to pay the extra to get the alternate version?

Apologise for the inconvenience.

They say it was a production stuff up, but I am convinced they put the preorder at the wrong price and don't want to fulfill the order :mad:.

Yeah, just received the same thing - wonder if there's any recourse? A call to Consumer Affairs? I think it all hinges on whether their claim that the actual product has a different barcode. FWIW I did notice a similar product on their website when I placed the order. If my memory serves me correctly, it listed as a DVD, but at the higher price(?!). So, yes, a ****-up was obviously made on their part from the very beginning. I mean, look at the spelling/grammar of that email - I don't think we're dealing with rocket scientists! (& remember they had it listed as 'starring Chris Judd'!) TBH I knew there was a chance this might happen (I mean they'd probably be selling it below cost), so I made sure to print out a copy of the relevant page - the barcode is listed as 9314748605306. Now, if my memory serves me correctly I think I verified this against another site.

PS Just looked at their site again & (of course) the original link is dead & the new one states the barcode as being 9314748605290, which I think was the one originally used for the DVD version.

PPS I've just sent a very stern email reply - let's see how that works.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I just received a call from them - and yes, essentially that's what they're saying! Needless to say things got quite heated. I suggest everyone gets onto them & refuses a refund & asks for what they ordered. My argument is that absolutely nothing has changed from the description originally listed, except for the bloody barcode (& price obviously)! I got very frustrated with the perceived lack of acceptance of responsibility on their part - essentially it's all the supplier's fault. I would strongly suggest that if many more complain a bit more vehemently (they claim I'm the first) then perhaps their view will change. They were only too keen to give me a refund & couldn't believe I'd threatened to take the matter further ("it's only a DVD" - ahem BluRay) - well if that's the case, then you'd give me what I ordered!!!

FYI It was originally advertised as "AFL - 2011 Premiers Grand Final Tin | Collector's Tin Box : Plus Limited Edition Collector's Postcard (E): Blu Ray" & that's what it's still being advertised as here:

www.dvdwarehouse.com.au/afl-2011-premiers-grand-final-tin-collectors-tin-box-plus-limited-edition-collectors-postcard-9314748605306.html

I think it's time to speak to the manufacturer/supplier of the blu ray and see if they can cooberate the story about the release date and change of barcode.

Well, re barcode - fact is DVD Warehouse did get the barcode wrong (ie they mixed it up with the one for the DVD). Personally, I think they've just realised when they've come to reviewing their orders that they made a stuff-up on their website. They were told on Friday that one of the products wouldn't be made available, & it just happens to be the one with that barcode - but they confirmed with me that it's the DVD Collector's Tin that wouldn't be released (lack of demand) not the Blu-Ray - hence why it's still up for pre-order on their site (but now with the correct barcode). Fact is - what we ordered has not been 'pulled (back)' as they're saying; it's just that they've now realised they've accepted pre-orders at below their cost price (probably). Best I was able to get out of them was that they'd try to see if they could supply me with the blu-ray (sans tin) at that price. TBH if they can do that, I'll probably accept - given that the BR alone last year was sold for at least that price (but that was for two games).

This is advertised as the "special collectors three disc edition" so perhaps there will be a single disc Blu Ray released as well?

It beggars belief that a DVD of the game is included with the Blu Ray.
Edit: Wrong info. They did show a picture of the Blu Ray by itself on their Facebook page, but unsure if they're releasing it.

What an effing joke.

Blu-Ray version of the GF plus the DVD version!!??

Why would anyone need a DVD version of the GF if they are getting the Blu-Ray version!?

That's almost criminal what they are doing. Not to mention completely ridiculous.

Some Blu-Ray DVDs come with what they call a Digital Copy,which is where you put the other disc in your puter and download some stuff and you can watch in your puter,but it's unusual to release a normal version with the Blu-Ray [I see The Hangover 2 is being released the same way as this DVD].It's a bit pointless as most people who want a copy of the GF DVD would already have a normal version.As for the Down At KP DVD,that sounds like they've got heaps left over and they're just trying to off load them.

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 AFL Grand Final on Blu Ray

Remove this Banner Ad

Back